Valve stems

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you go with 90s and it's external TPMS be very careful the first time you turn the wheel. DAMHIK

90° stems may be a problem with a TPMS sensor. (I assume you are talking about external TPMS sensors rather than ones inside the tire.) Good chance the stem will leak as centrifugal force is applied due to the spinning wheel. It depends, of course, upon the mass of the sensor and the length of the valve stem.

Lots of people use these (see below). Gives you a 90° access point for filling but the weight of the sensor (on the end) won't apply sideways force on the stem. Also, you don't have to remove the TPMS sensor to add air.

TV1.jpg

Ross beat me to it. T-stems are the way to go. I got mine here (good description too) but I believe someone else sells them in black which I'd assume you'd prefer on the '18. Search the Forum as I do remember a good thread awhile back discussing these.

Edit: See Fobo sells black now also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ross beat me to it. T-stems are the way to go. I got mine here (good description too) but I believe someone else sells them in black which I'd assume you'd prefer on the '18. Search the Forum as I do remember a good thread awhile back discussing these.
Edit: See Fobo sells black now also.
Yes BigOgre, the black and chrome/silver are in the store section of Fobo site. Also a note: the 11.3mm is the size for the FJR and most Japanese bikes.

I would definitely go with a T-stem setup, much easier pressure adjustment.
smile.png

Glad I read the thread. My 90 degree rear stem with Garmin TPS has weak internal threads. Off to spend more money..

I've been happily using a modest quality (but reliable) Chinese branded TPMS solution (external, twist on caps) solution now for about 5 years on my old Gen1.

After having decent quality 90 degree stems installed in both my rims, I have just adjusted the front stem to avoid the TPMS sensor cap getting sheared off by the brake caliper when the wheel rotates.

Can't recall the brand of TPMS solution I bought, but it may have even been purchased from Deal Extreme (dx.com) way back then. Don't think that particular unit is sold any more, but it wasn't more than ~$120 CDN I think.

I bought my t-stems from HawksHead Systems www.TPMS.ca

$9.95 x 2 + $6.00 shipping.

Just another source.

I just got a trailer and I have one of those cheap https://www.ebay.com/itm/M3-B-WF-Motorcycle-TPMS-Tire-Tyre-Pressure-Monitoring-2-External-Sensor-MA1713/233232638335?epid=9023594125&hash=item364dbfa17f:g:FHoAAOSwvaxc4eU1 Chinese ones that works great for me.

Only problem with them is that they don't actually tell you the pressure in your tires till you start riding, LOL

This is not normally a problem, as the main reason I have them is if I have a leakdown while riding.

I just purchased a camper trailer, and I am going to get a CAR setup, with the same company, which has FOUR sensors and I will put two of the sensors on the FJR and two on the Camper. I am as much worried about one of the camper tires going flat at speed as I am one of the bike tires.

While it would be nice to be able to have a quick look at the display before heading out, I assume that this feature preserves battery life. They don't turn on unless moving. You head down the driveway, look at status and head back to top off if low. Guess you can't use them as a pressure gauge either while topping off unless they remain on for a period of time after stopping.

My old TPMS unit just shows the last value until my wheels have been rolled a coupla times. Sometimes I can just rotate my rear wheel (on centerstand) a couple times and I have an updated reading.

90° stems may be a problem with a TPMS sensor. (I assume you are talking about external TPMS sensors rather than ones inside the tire.) Good chance the stem will leak as centrifugal force is applied due to the spinning wheel. It depends, of course, upon the mass of the sensor and the length of the valve stem.
Lots of people use these (see below). Gives you a 90° access point for filling but the weight of the sensor (on the end) won't apply sideways force on the stem. Also, you don't have to remove the TPMS sensor to add air.

TV1.jpg
Went to their website, the order page doesn't have a selection box to choose the desired size, 11.3 mm? The part number is listed as T-Valve Gunmetal- 1pc (21P-TM-VAL0016/R1) Wonder if this 11.3mm?

It looks like they use the same t-stem for 11.3 and 8.3 mm openings. Different arrangements of o-rings/seals? At least according to the diagrams.

As stated on their site:

Required rim hole size to fit T-valve

D1 is the required hole diameter to install the T-valve. Suitable for rim valve hole of diameter 11.3mm or 8.3mm. This requires installation at a tire shop. Refer to Specification section for fitting details

Wonder why they say it requires installation at a tire shop? Liability, maybe?

Dang, those folks are ON IT. Emailed the question, 7 minutes later a reply.

Dear Sir,

Thanks for contacting us.

The T-valve available on our website is suitable for rim hole diameter of 8.3mm to 11.3mm. Yes gunmetal is suitable for 11.3mm.

Thanks

Sameer

Latest posts