Van too low to carry FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadian FJR

Canadian FJR
Reaction score
Over the summer I picked up a boat of a van, its a heavy Chevy 3500 express.  Only problem is that at the back doors, I only have 48" in height.

I'm looking for some (useful) suggestions of ways to fit the FJR into this bad boy.

If I were to remove the windshield and mirrors I'm getting close but not enough.  I could maybe put some drag straps on the front forks and cinch it down another inch or two.

Canadian FJR

Had that problem once...I found that if I pushed the bike in ass end first  [with help] it just fit...might be possible..

Cinch straps and temporarily deflate the front tire?  Once int he van, you could then reinflate.  Anything I could think of beyond that would require a lot more work - like removing the front wheel.

I guess taking a cutting torch to the van would fall under unuseful suggestions 😁.

More speed and duck at the right time.  :punk: I had a friend that ran into this with his BMW and ended up selling the van and bought a enclosed trailer.

Things started off strong then the suggestions went down hill 🤪

Pretty sure if I remove my monster lights and the windshield, I can then use the speed and duck technique.

Canadian FJR

Do you intend to carry the FJR and tow the boat at  the same time?  

Edit: Oops, reading comprehension.... I thought you said you picked up a boat and a van.     🥴

Considering the effort required to squeeze the FJR into the van even if it will fit, a trailer might be your best option.

If you have a heavy enough hitch you can hang a motorcycle off of a rack on the back but a Class III hitch will only accommodate up to 600 pounds. A class IV hitch will take up to 1000 pounds, but I don't know of a rack that will carry that much.

The door opening is 49 inches. The tallest point on the bike without the windshield is 47 inches. Or am I missing something

If you are lucky, a run down the east coast on the bike might be an option at the end of March.  In the early part of March, is still deep winter in New Brunswick and through Maine.  

Just got rid of of a Dodge 1500 with a wedge cap.... same problem even with the home made ramp out one ATV ramp , plywood and some mechanics wire. Find a loading ramp thats higher than your bumper.

I made it work with mirrors off and no shield.

If you put lowering links on the suspension and dropped the front end then you really could drag your knee's in the corners !

What part of snow salt etc. do the others not get between Nov 1st to say about mid April... especially on a new ride !

I think your Gen 1 was fractionally lower due the amount of rubber worn off....

I have pics somewhere, but a few years ago at EOM, my AE suffered a broken shift actuator mount and I had to get the thing back up north somehow. Ended up with a U-Haul van. Took off the top case and windscreen and it JUST cleared the roof. Didn't have to pull the mirrors. Wasn't even a full-size van I don't think. Of course, the van broke down about an hour north of Beckley, WV, and we had to get the thing flat-bedded back to Beckley...but that's a whole 'nuther story.