Vario Touring Spoiler & Maxi Windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evil_henchman

Reaction score
I did a search and came up empty. Twisted Throttle sells a spoiler and a complete windshield.

The adventure rider crowd gives these things great reviews but given the FJR's uniquely F'd up windsheild design I wonder if anybody here has tried one.

I'm mainly trying to reduce noise but I like plenty of wind on me so barn door sized shields are out. I cut Cal-Sci type holes in my stock shield and that did a great job of eliminating back pressure but was not real impressive in noise reduction. With the shield down and my windjammer on my helmet it's pretty tolerable but with the shield up it reminds me of an artillery barrage. Major booming and not from underneath the helmet.

Givi wind screen did it for me. I'm 5'9". Givi is +2" with flip. I ride with the shield down except for rain, the Givi puts plenty of air around the helmet and kills the turbulance, works well up or down.

Don't know whether is would help specifically for the FJR, a co-worker had the Vario screen w/ spoiler on his ZRX 1200. He said it was the best farkle he ever added. I thought about the spoiler for the Yamaha accessory screen. Seems like it might be worth a try.

I have just fitted a Vario. Done about 500 miles and am very pleased with the performance. The main difference for me is the shoulder pain I was experiencing has gone, even the butt ache has improved though I know not why. I have found the best position for me is with the screen about 1" from its highest and then the electric rise about an inch also. I then get a litle draught but by just lowering my head slightly I can still see clearly over the top and all is almost silent. Music i could not hear before is fine, I have noticed though that if I raise it further on the electrics and then go at warp speed I get helmet vibration. I have tried it at 130mph+ and still works fine.

A little fine tuning may provide even better performance.

For me, 6' and 31" inside leg it is a vast improvement and I can now use my HJC flip up helmet with out ear plugs.

Jerry

Last edited by a moderator:
The adventure rider crowd gives these things great reviews but given the FJR's uniquely F'd up windsheild design I wonder if anybody here has tried one.
?? :unsure:
Based on the number windshield related posts and how many people have tried several windshields and still not been happy. The F'd up portion of my original comment is hereby officially retracted because it sounds harsh. But the unique part still applies. It is unique and in most ways uniquely bitchin' and way cool :good:

Ahhh Yes.... you mean this....

Vario.jpg

I like it...

(not perfect, but I don't know if any of them are...)

I think the ideal rider for this is shorter than me (6 ft)

Before I added the laminar lip I would ride with it down low, except for the interstate runs when I would slide it up...

After the lip I run it down almost all the time, does a decent job of chopping up the wind, while not causing alot of back pressure.

I haven't tried a shield w/ holes cut in it....

I still get wind noise, but that's what the custom molded earphones are for...

-bvw.