Very First Motorcycle ever

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeavtFootHick

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here.

I'm located in Portland Oregon and in May bought a 2016 Yamaha FJR 1300A as my very first motorcycle.

I've ridden  several friends dirt bikes and quads over the years but have never owned a motorcycle nor ever ridden a street bike.

Since then I've recorded over 1600 miles on the odometer. Every day I get more comfortable riding it and beginning to ride more aggressive and with purpose.

I look forward to contributing to the forums here and gleaning research to help enjoy Street riding more.

Best of luck with it and welcome to the Forum.  A lot of good info here especially if you're willing to search out old posts.

If you don't mind me saying this, and it's said with the very best of intentions - please proceed carefully.  Learning to ride on the street is an endeavor fraught with hard learned lessons.  Moreover the FJR is by no means a "beginner" bike as it has tons of sneaky power that can get you in trouble before you know it.  By all means I hope you enjoy your new bike and passion but just give it your utmost respect.  Here's to hoping you'll have many, many years of enjoyment on two wheels.  :drinks:

Welcome from metro Seattle!

Keep an eye on the PNW specific section for local goings-on, especially our most excellent PNW Tech Day.

~G

Welcome - We have outstanding riding outside of Portland.  My favorite area is in Oregon, just about any where east of HW 97 and North of HW 26.  You can not go wrong.  This time of the year watch for snow at the higher elevations.

Thank You everyone.

Oregon has a law that requires motorcycle endorsement applicants to take a riding class ran by an independent company. $200, two and a half day classroom instruction and range time. I completed it last Summer.They supply a bike if you don't have one. Excellent course and staff. Earlier this summer I returned to take an intermediate course, 5 hours of range time that exercises defensive street maneuvers etc... Again very professional and friendly Staff.

Usually when someone I knows starts with, "thank you [whomever]", it's to start a rant. By the time I finished your post, it was clear you were seriously thanking them. I didn't take my first MSF:ERC (never took a BRC) course until I was in my late 40s and had been riding some kind of bike or other since grade school. I can honestly say, they made me a better rider and I continue to take them every couple of years to knock off the rust and get an insurance discount.

Bounce,

Thanks for your reply.

To clear things up a bit I just turned 55 years old, I've wanted a motorcycle since a teenager. I never got to have one mostly because Dad poo poo'd  the idea. If I ever had the money to buy one I probably wouldn't have the money or knowledge to maintain it.

Secondly, I knew myself better and told self if you ever owned a bike she best be a dirt bike. Mostly because if I had an accident it would be my fault and not another motorist that didn't see me or who wasn't paying attention. Secondly, and probably most accurate is as my younger self I would have turned into a Speed Demon and killed my own self.

Really it was three years ago my Wife of 31 years who made the comment "You should get a motorcycle to ride to work. WTH?

So in reality to end up with an FJR as a first bike, having respect knowing full well for what I am riding and knowing my very limited skill set and no street riding experience so far the 1800 hundred miles I have logged since mid May are becoming more enjoyable as I am riding more "with a purpose and more aggressive.

look farther than you can brake, more fun to gas the exit of the curve than to come in too hot

expect crap on the road ahead

Ride like you're invisible and expect everyone to do the wrong thing in front of you

but welcome and enjoy the ride!

Welcome to the group and congrats on getting a '16!!  The best FJR color hands down!! 😁

When I got on my first FJR it was after a 12 year break.  My mind set riding away from the dealer was, respect the power, you can get in to a lot of trouble fast and take it easy.  Keep that in mind and you will be fine.  Add in a rider safety class and you will be even better off.

My youngest son just got his first ever bike and started on a FZ1 Yamaha. Just keep a firm connection between the gray matter and the right wrist. Take some training and enjoy the ride. My son is in Hillsboro so if you need a ride buddy speak up. He rides whenever he can between raindrops.

Welcome !! Your best bet is the FJR , easy handling , easy maintenance and very reliable motorcycle ,

enjoy riding and slowly you will learn about roads and how to be more and more comfortable on your bike , like all of us learn everyday 

enjoy 

Frenchy 

I used to advise new riders to "ride like you're invisible". 40 years later, I now advise people, "ride like they see you and WANT to kill you."
That's good! I like it. Lets not scare him too much. Bet yes they do want to run you over. :0

Ride safe.

FYI - Team Oregon does have an ART class done on a go cart track.  One of the instructors is an FJR rider too.  (DeanW).  Not sure you're ready for the ART, but there is also an excellent Advance Braking Course.  LINK  They have a nice course selection tool as well.

Portland is a great place to ride.  I lived there for ~45 years.  Left in '11.  The routes to the coast are varied and twisty, most following rivers for some or most of the way once you're over the mountains.  You do tend to get stuck in the Willamette Valley in the Winter though.  Mt Hood has fantastic paved logging roads around the back side once you slog up 26.  And Eastern Oregon offers a lot of wide open roads and wandering two laners to funky small towns.  Go have a shake and burger in Fields next summer.  When all else fails, running over to Vancouver and out the Columbia River Gorge on 14.  A great lunch ride.  Or Clackamas river road up to Detroit Reservoir.