Vibration starting at 4500rpm and gets worse ('05 FJR1300)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluebaiyou

Reaction score
Hi all,

Sorry - I'm sure this has been covered but a cursory search didn't reveal much. I've got about 13K miles on my '05 1300 and it just started this behavior where there is a vibration that starts at about 4500rpms and then gets worse the higher the rpms. This happens in all gears, so it's not a speed thing. If you could kindly direct me to the other posts that cover this, or give me some clues as to how to fix, I would be much obliged.

Thanks in advance!

Sync the throttle bodies, add foam grip covers, then try to forget it :)

Some vibration is simply a design feature of in-line engines. The FJR is better than most.

If it is really bad check things like the engine mounts for torque.

short list of possibilities..

Needs throttle body sync

Motor mount bolt or bolts out of whack

Bad Tire or tires

Bad spark plug or plugs

Could be a loose plug wire too. Do you get the vibes when the bike is stopped and you rev it up?

Thanks, all. I don't think it's the tires since they're pretty new and the vibration happens in all gears, so at various speeds. When in neutral and I rev it up, it does vibrate, and there's some sputtering as well. So plugs sound like a possibility. I've heard the throttle sync solution before as well. The bike has been quite smooth up until now so there's definitely something out of whack. I'll start running down the list and hopefully hit on it quick!

FJR's do vibrate a bit, you might just be sensitive to it. So either keep it under 4500 RPM where it won't bother you or above 8000 where you will be going too fast to notice.

Does she smooth out over 5,000; FJR has a natural resonance from about 4100 to the upper 4,000 range (natural; at least the Gen 1's have been reporting this since the beginning)..........but do check the engine mounts.

Have you done any recent work on the bike? (or had any done?)

Is there any hesitation when accelerating?

Any other symptoms?

When in neutral and I rev it up, it does vibrate, and there's some sputtering as well. So plugs sound like a possibility.
I think there's the key. Sputtering engine suggests something to do with the engine. 3 things need to make an engine work and that's a spark, fuel, and air....usually in that order of issues discovered. I wouldn't focus exclusively on plugs, but thing ignition system overall including properly seated plug wires. If not then fueling issues

....started this behavior where....
And/or focus on that time the behavior started. What changed just before the behavior started? Did you service or change something?

Last edited by a moderator:
At 13k on an '05, if you have never changed the plugs you are due.

Another thought that happened to me a couple of times over the years. It could be just a bad batch of fuel. Did it start soon after buying fuel?

Nothing changed. The bike sits a lot but I did a plug and oil change at 11K miles right after I bought it. I'll start with the plugs, as suggested, and also go through and check the engine mounts.

To the question about range, it starts at 4500rpms and then gets worse the higher it goes.

Thanks again for all the input.

Where does the bike sit for long periods?

Is it possible that critters have set camp up in your air box? Or chewed a hole in a vacuum line?

Are you running non-ethanol fuel? If not this sitting for periods of time is not good without some type of fuel additive, even with non-ethanol.

The fact that the OP claims the vibrations start at 4500 and go up, when vibrations from synchronized throttles and cylinders misfiring fades as RPMs go up, leads me to believe that it is the normal internal combustion engines (especially inline fours) suffer from at higher RPMs. Even with balance shafts. This is why they are working on cross plane crankshafts for really high RPM online fours.

The fact that the OP claims the vibrations start at 4500 and go up, when vibrations from synchronized throttles and cylinders misfiring fades as RPMs go up, leads me to believe that it is the normal internal combustion engines (especially inline fours) suffer from at higher RPMs. Even with balance shafts.
Hmmmm!

An FJR V1300 ... with a 90 Degree V4 engine.

That sounds kinda nice :)

It's fresh gas and in a critterless environment. I get the arguments about this being normal for this type of engine, but then it would have been doing it from day one, not just suddenly start. In any case...

I changed the plugs and when I started her up and revved it, there didn't seem to be as much vibration. However, new issue. I think this may have been there before but I never rev it while sitting still so just didn't hear it. Around 7K RPMs, there's a loud metallic ticking noise, mostly as the throttle is released. I'd almost describe it as a crackle, as the ticking is sporadically spaced, if that makes any sense. Are mis-adjusted valves that loud? I'd think valves wouldn't be as loud and the noise would be consistent. This almost sounds like something bouncing around inside the engine. I've also read about exhaust valve guide wear, but not sure what that sounds like. I'll see if I can record it and post it somewhere.

Why is it I always end up laying on the floor laughing at these threads...

I think it's because no matter how many times it's asked every single time some wise guys suggests TBS.. It's a proven fact that isn't going to do shit in the higher RPM range.

But I still open 'em just for the entertainment value and laugh even harder when the same guys who've said TBS for 10 years hasn't changed there tune.

Shows how much the "new" old members know. They can't fukin read.

Put me in a nursing home 4 fuks sakes