Vibration Survey for Owners of More Than One FJR1300

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ditch

Reaction score
No idea how this is going to go but think it's worth a try.

Please state what year FJR's you have owned, if one vibrated more than the other, and which bikes you performed an unauthorized sync if applicable.

Dun owned two '07s 'n they're both like electric motors; smoothest bikes I ever owned. (Sorry I don't have different vintages; I'mma glutton for punishment!)

My 09 was quite buzzy.

My 14ES was super smooth, no vibration felt.

My 15A is buzzy again. Wish I had the 14 still......

I've had four Gen IIs. 06, 08, 09x2. All AEs.

Maybe a bit more grip buzz in the 06 than in the others.

They've all had about the same zip.

The most fun was the 08 when I put a set of Pilot Powers on it.

I've had an '04, smooth as silk, and the fastest of the 3

I've had an 09-lots of aftermarket stuff, which I think made it very "buzzy"

Now have '15, silky smooth, the best of the 3

Had '04 & '06, both were decently smooth with edge going to the '06. Moved to an '09 (which I wish I'd never sold) and then to a '15A. The '09 was the smoothest FJR I've ever ridden, like riding an electric motor. OTOH, the '15 (with a lot of work) is OK smooth, but still a buzz bomb and nowhere near my beloved '09.

--G

I'd like to compare a '16 with my '04. I believe I would appreciate the lower engine speed on the '16.

My only gripe about vibration is at 70+ highway speeds. I don't believe that would be an issue on the '16.

I use my cruise whenever I can. Using it, vibration is not much of an issue. Minimal contact with the handlebars.

M;y '09 is very smooth, completely stock handlebars except for Oxford Heated Grips. I've never felt any vibration.

'08 typical standard buzz around 4 or 4.2 as I remember.

'16 better now but got a bunch after 5 recently when medium accelerating in town traffic and didn't feel motivated to shift.

(p.s. the gear shifting clunk is gone and I don't miss it)

'06 had no buzz at all. '15 has a buzz at ~4K but it has either improved or I have adjusted to it.

My other bike is an '09 DR650. My '08 FJR has vibration?
umnik.gif

2004: Very smooth. Used unauthorized sync. Cleaning the throttle bodies made the biggest difference.

2008: Very smooth. Used unauthorized sync. Cleaning the injectors and throttle bodies made the biggest difference.

In both cases they were smooth from the start, they just got smoother after the stated service. Mind you, I came from a 2000 Concours which was like riding a paint shaker.

08 seemed to be smoother that the 2015. Now it's a lot smoother cause it ain't running. Grrrrrrrr

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

All 3 have the same minor buzz at the same rpms. Throttle body sync did nothing on the 2004 nor 2008 so did not attempt on 2014.

Cruise on 2014 makes me forget it is there at all.

My 04 can put my right hand to sleep in no time...... But my Pirelli tires are smoother than the Michelins were...... Should do the sync to see if that helps...... I am also going to fill the bars with lead shot......

Throttle body sync works only to smooth the idle and at about 1500rpms+/-..

Above that range has not any effect in vibrations..My opinion...

I did ride three fjr,a 04,05,08 and they have exactly the same vibrations..

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.