VStrom 650 ABS as a First Bike - Your Opinion is Wanted

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caryb

Reaction score
My eldest Son recently completed his MSF Training and we/I am looking for a first bike for him. He likes my FJR but I'm not ready to part with it yet :glare: that along with the fact that it is not really a suitable first bike.

At any rate, The challenge is that he is a big guy at about 6'4" and 200+ lbs. His training bike at MSF looked like a tricycle with him on it. This has led us to consider the VStrom 650 ABS due to its relatively large size. I have read extensively about the VStrom on this board, ADVRider.com and others. It seems as though everyone loves this bike.

My question to the members here: Is there any reason the VStrom would not be a good first bike? All opionions would be appreciated as I want to share my love of motorcycling with my son and want his first experiences to be as positive as possible.

Thanks,

CaryB

This is an excellent choice for a first bike or 10th, for that matter. It has enough get-up-and-go to keep your interest, but no so much as to make you squirt your shorts. The ABS can help save him from a lot of noob mistakes, just as it helps with ham fisted veteran mistakes. It's relatively light and flickable. gets great gas mileage, has dual sport capabilities and comes with a huge aftermarket farkle pool. And it's cheap to buy, run, maintain and insure.

Oh, he'll be quite cramped on the stock seat, so you'll wanna go aftermarket or find someone who wants to swap a DL1000 seat for your DL650's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the responses... I guess it is time to play "Let's Make a Deal" with the Suzuki guys.

CaryB

Ditto on what the other guys said. Plus if he is in Hannibal, everyone will think it is one those "BMWs".

I plan to go back to one if/when I quit the FJR, just for the above mentioned reasons.

B)

My eldest Son recently completed his MSF Training and we/I am looking for a first bike for him. He likes my FJR but I'm not ready to part with it yet :glare: that along with the fact that it is not really a suitable first bike.
At any rate, The challenge is that he is a big guy at about 6'4" and 200+ lbs. His training bike at MSF looked like a tricycle with him on it. This has led us to consider the VStrom 650 ABS due to its relatively large size. I have read extensively about the VStrom on this board, ADVRider.com and others. It seems as though everyone loves this bike.

My question to the members here: Is there any reason the VStrom would not be a good first bike? All opionions would be appreciated as I want to share my love of motorcycling with my son and want his first experiences to be as positive as possible.

Thanks,

CaryB
I have a DL1000 and have also ridden the 650. What's not to love about the 650? 50MPG. Low price. ABS available. Decent stock suspension. Tons of aftermarket parts. 6th gear. Decent torque. I like the 650 but went with the 1000 for a little more grunt and carrying capacity.

The vstrom 650 is based off of the SV 650's engine, which is deemed by some as the "all-time greatest starter bike ever." It's not going to foster silly speed-related mistakes, but it has enough to make it interesting once you get experience. Add ABS to the brakes, and those unexpected skids become forgiving. Oh, and after market exhausts with that v-twin engine sound absolutely grr-awesome.

If he has a bit of the "bear on a tricycle" thing happening due to his 6'4" stature, I think even a vstrom 1000 (er..DL1000) would be a fine bike. It sits a little higher and wider. No ABS this year though, which is incredibly disappointing.

I'll pile on. Great choice. I have an 06 andi it's one of the most versatile and easy to ride bikes out there. Very friendly, straighfoward, viceless, and economical. And ABS is available cheap. My only caution is that the Stroms are physically BIG bikes, but with your son, this is an advantage, not a disadvantage.

Only problem is the windscreen buffetting/noise issue. Some seem to get satisfaction with aftermarket screens, but I'm convinced the basic fairing aero design is very problematic for all screens. I finally punted and went with a short screen and while I don't get a lot of protection, I get smooth air. Looks better too - here's a pict of the front with this and some headlight masks.

Strom1.jpg

- Mark

Sweet! I gotta score me one of those Dakar sticker sets... They still selling them at ADVrider? I should go over and search around...

Gunny!!!! My 07 is sweet. The only two things maybe three to change would be the stock seat, suspension, what do you expect for a $6000 bike, and a shaft. but no matter this is one sweet ride and very capable. This bike has been ridden from the southern tip of South America to the Northern tip of North America, from Northern Alaska to Key West. Met a four time Iron Butt finisher at Hollister, Ca bike rally who has one and said to me if he only had one bike in the garage it would be the Wee. Same thoughts here.

Not meant to steal the thread so move if you must. Just info in favor of the Wee.

By the way after riding the V-Strom gathering in Reno the stock suspension had to go. So, I took it to Phil at AfterShocks as he re-worked the FJR wilbers suspension and my KLX 300. Here we go: Took the rear shock and re-valved it. Keep the stock shock because of the remote pre-load, put a spacer in it to get me at 50% pre-load for load and sag. Added a remote Penske reservoir because the stock shock has oil and air for rebound. This allowed the re-valve to work better and gave me rebound and compression dampening. Re valved the front and modified the front springs. Also added Race Tech emulators because the front forks had a dampening rod. This suspension is way sweeter than even the redone FJR suspension. Way worth the money.

I think the Advrider guy (Speedstar or something like this) has a couple of the black sets left. Another pict which shows them better:

StromSticker.jpg

- Mark

I think that's a great choice, and if he doesn't like it. I'll come take it off his hands. At a reduced price, of course :D

All,

Thanks for the help on this. Looked a bunch for a new ABS version but Suzuki will not have any more of them until the 2008 model year. At least that is what all the local dealers say <_< So I picked up this little dude from a local ADV Rider. This bike came nicely farkled, the previous owner making most of the same choices I would have. At any rate, I now understand what everyone has been raving about on this bike :clapping: I may not let my son ride this one after all.

138257816-O.jpg

All,
Thanks for the help on this. Looked a bunch for a new ABS version but Suzuki will not have any more of them until the 2008 model year. At least that is what all the local dealers say <_< So I picked up this little dude from a local ADV Rider. This bike came nicely farkled, the previous owner making most of the same choices I would have. At any rate, I now understand what everyone has been raving about on this bike :clapping: I may not let my son ride this one after all.

138257816-O.jpg
OUTSTANDING!Great looking machine and not having to spend a boatload in the after market is a real plus.What I love about the Suzy is getting Ducati handling without the sticker shock.Look at the Ducati Multistrada 620 vs your bike and look at the differences. You made a great choice.Enjoy the Hill Country or a day on the Island!One farkle I would add is a Stebel Nautilus horn.Compact,easy to mount but best of all is it is very LOUD!Find them on eBay for about $50.00.Wife liked the one I put on my FJR so much that I had to put one on her Carolla!Stay SAFE!

Last edited by a moderator: