• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Want to buy FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aniladitya

Reaction score
Hello guys, 

I am new to this forum. I am in the market looking for a FJR. More interested in FJR with ES. I am a seasoned rider and commute to work daily. I want a long distance tourer and so far narrowed it to ST and FJR. I think i am more inclined towards the latest version as i am a big fan of electronic suspensions. Looking from more information from existing owners on this.

Cheers!

What exactly would you like to know? In general the FJR is a bulletproof platform that will easily run over 100K miles with nothing more than normal fluid changes and maintenance. ES models have also been very reliable [suspension wise] with a few inmates with over 100K on theirs. USD forks are a bonus!

More specific questions...ask away.

~G

Reliability is a key thing for me. From your post, it looks like there are no problems with Electronic suspension. That is good to know. I see a lot of A models for sale too. Comfort wise, how would you rate the difference between ES and A?

9.0 vs a 9.3 on "Comfort" between a regular A and and ES. The suspension is generally better and switching on the freeway from plushy suspension mode to stiffer once you go down the exit is the real big difference between the two.  How much is that specific detail worth to your comfort?

To get to a 10 for LD work with either platform--you're still going to need a Russell.

The ES was a super-easy choice for this LD guy.

How much is that specific detail worth to your comfort?
First time i have experienced ES is with BMW S1000R. It was such an amazing feeling and it made the road feel so smooth. I rode it in a canyon where the roads are not that great and It never Jarred or rocked me like my other bikes(GSXR 1000 and Versys 650). From then on, i would like to have an ES on my future purchases so that i dont have to mess with clickers and preload and want a comfy ride as i put around 15k miles a year commuting.

I just bought a use 2015 ES and the suspension is night a day better than my 2007 standard, which has been updated and refreshed...Love the adjustment on the ES...And the USD/inverted are night and day between the 2 bikes....I could have purchased a leftover 2016A model new for $500 dollars less, but I am happy I didn't

First time i have experienced ES is with BMW S1000R. It was such an amazing feeling and it made the road feel so smooth. I rode it in a canyon where the roads are not that great and It never Jarred or rocked me like my other bikes(GSXR 1000 and Versys 650). From then on, i would like to have an ES on my future purchases so that i dont have to mess with clickers and preload and want a comfy ride as i put around 15k miles a year commuting.
So as not to confuse, an ES FJR does not have semi-active / active suspension. The ES gives the rider push button suspension adjustments via pre-programmed "soft", "standard"and "hard" dampening settings plus rear shock preload. Nothing more.

~G

I have 2014ES with almost 80,000 miles on it now.  No issues with ES system, or the bike in general.  I did have a seemly anomalous failure of two ignition coils at around 40,000 miles or so.  Other than that, just routine maintenance.

Like others have mentioned to really make the bike comfortable for long times in the saddle, you'll need to upgrade from the stock Yamaha seats.  I've have Seth Laam seats since about 2015.  Other options for comfortable seat replacements.

One nice thing about FJR is use of regular gas (no premium, high octane needed).

I guess I didn't discuss your question on ES value.  I put a lot of miles on, but not hard riding.  I do like the ability to switch on the fly between hard and soft settings.  If you hit rough patch of road you can flip to soft and go back to hard for the twists and turns.

Thank you! Based on what I read fjr is mighty reliable. I have checked that box. I have one more question abt fjr height.  How is fjr for vertically challenged people? I am 5.7, 180 lbs. I have seen some posts saying that they are selling it as they can’t flat foot it. According to cycle ergo, I can flat foot it. I will go sit on one at a dealership once this lockdown is over

IMO, the FJR doesn't sit all that high. You might not be able to flat foot, but it'd be close I would think and should be manageable. There are also lowering links available.

Any particular examples you are looking at? Where in CA are you?

Btw, welcome to the Forum.

I am based out of bay area. I have experience with wide variety of bikes(R1200GS, Triumph 1200, ktm 990, Naked bikes, Sports bikes, Versys and Vstrom 650) and I do a lot of trips(long and short) with my friends and usually freeways are the horrible part(as majority of the bikes wind protection is really bad). 650s are amazing bikes(Versys 650 is my commuter) but its not comfortable for long journeys even though i did a trip to Death valley on Vstrom 650. I want a comfortable cruiser(cruise control and adjustable windscreen) and I finally narrowed it down to Versys/R1200GS or FJR 1300/BMW R1200RT. 

My 2014ES has been virtually trouble free during the 44500 miles I have scored to date. I am 5'9" tall and have a 32" inseam. I can flat foot on one foot and just a tad short of flat foot on the other I have a Laam seat that I had custom shaped to give me a little more reach to the ground. I should mention, I run a 190/55-17 rear tire which makes the bike a little taller than the OEM 180/55-17 tire. You will not be disappointed with a late model FJR1300ES.   :bike:

Thank you! Based on what I read fjr is mighty reliable. I have checked that box. I have one more question abt fjr height.  How is fjr for vertically challenged people? I am 5.7, 180 lbs. I have seen some posts saying that they are selling it as they can’t flat foot it. According to cycle ergo, I can flat foot it. I will go sit on one at a dealership once this lockdown is over
Problem solved......

3qW5MXOl.jpg

Latest posts