Want to take SIX DAYS to get from SF to WFO-6?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apratt

Reaction score
In another thread, Waaane wrote about taking two days to get to WFO-6 from San Francisco.

What do you say to taking SIX DAYS instead? I plan to make a big trip out of this: leave SF on Saturday, arrive in Park City Thursday night. Take a northern route. Mostly scenic state highways and other non-superslab. Daylight riding, with a mix of easy and longer days. Pack your tent - we're camping five nights.

Who's with me?

Check out my page at https://www.bestbits.org/wfo6_trip_2007.htm for a first draft of a route: Eureka CA, Burns OR, Lewiston ID, the famous US12 to Missoula, Beartooth Pass and Yellowstone. Write to me if you're interested - my address is on that page.

If there is any interest but not for the camping part, I guess we could scare up hotel rooms each night. And if I were on my own I'd make the days longer. But in a group I think this is ambitious enough. There are bail-outs all over this route if the weather is unfavorable or people change their minds.

Any takers? Check out the link and tell me if it looks interesting, or ways I could improve the route, or whatever.

I'm a possible, apratt. I'd just as soon make it a week's adventure. I might like to get a motel a couple nights to get a shower and a good night's sleep. And I've never been to Yellowstone, so that's a strong motivator. Also, what's the return plan, or is everyone on their own?

Jb

If I could get the details worked out I would love to do it too. What is this "camping" of which you speak? Is that where you stay at a Motel 6 instead of a Marriot? Seriously, I haven't camped in a long time. I guess I could get a cheap air mattress and a sleeping bag somewhere. I should be able to get the time off work as long as I am willing to ride all the way home on Sunday. That would be a long ride on I80. Put me down as "thinking about it, but with issues to resolve"

I guess I could get a cheap air mattress and a sleeping bag somewhere.
See, that's just the thing. What you DON'T want is a cheap air mattress. I back-packed for years and years, and I swear I NEVER got a good night's sleep because of the thin, light-weight sleeping pad. For this ride I would get something state-of-the-art that actually might be comfortable.

I should be able to get the time off work as long as I am willing to ride all the way home on Sunday. That would be a long ride on I80. Put me down as "thinking about it, but with issues to resolve"
I'm thinking a blast home on Sunday is just the ticket. We'd have to get up early....

Jb

I'm glad to see the positive response to this idea.

Camping's just part of the charm. I could give it up. Don't let that stop you thinking about this ride. Also, if we got a hardcore group together, we could consider doing this in five longer days (or a longer route in six). Nothing's carved in stone.

Anybody with suggestions for route improvements, feel free to help, even if you aren't even considering joining in. My Northwest and especially Montana knowledge is limited. The roads I prefer are sweeping rather than twisty, with long stretches of no towns. We'll have to pass up some "local favorites" if the ride to and from them is too urban or boring. (I fear this might apply to Ken Hattan's Oregon Cascades day ride out of Portland, for example.)

Oh, and about coming home, I figure it's every rider for himself. Some need to be home for work Monday, some don't. I'll plan for two days and probably take a southerly route that runs through Yosemite.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I could jump in with you but I only have Th, Fr, and Mon. for the trip to Park City. Your ride looks good but maybe I could add to your road choices. You could spend a couple days spinning around the north eastern part of Oregon but one suggestion I have that keeps you somewhat on track is to: going north on hwy 395 turn right on road 244 at Ukiah which will take you to La Grande. From there take hwy 82 to Enterprise. Then hwy 3 north to Lewiston and your back on your original track. Just a suggestion from past rides. Enjoy your trip, see you in Park City.

Hey People, Any movement on this? JB Appratt Mike etc. You guys still want to do this? I think I am in but I have to make some decisions soon.

Hey People, Any movement on this? JB Appratt Mike etc. You guys still want to do this? I think I am in but I have to make some decisions soon.
I am actually thinking about taking my time on the return run home. The likely route will be north and west then run down the coast back to LA.

Richard

Apratt,

You were wondering about routes from Missoula to US-212. I just got back from Missoula and paid attention to that stretch of interstate and it's really not too bad. It's got some good scenery, some curvy parts in the mountains and the traffic is pretty light. You might be able to put together something south of I-90 noodling around on the state and county roads but most of the roads in that area run generally north and south. Well except I-90, there's also US-12 east of Missoula but it's mostly unremarkable and then there's Helena to get through. Bottom line I-90 is OK.

Oh, did you know that the Motel 6 in Jackson in July is $100 a night?? Just checking B)

Your plans look so good I might just ride out to SF and ride back to WFO with you guys :rolleyes:

I'm already in on another ride to WFO. I'm more considering options for the return trip. There will be enough of us from NorCal that we can get together and discuss plans in Park City.

I am actually thinking about taking my time on the return run home. Richard
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I got a PM from James Burleigh that he was interested still/again. It would be great to make three or more. Camp or no camp?

My latest thinking adds more time in Oregon than the original plot:

# Sat to Happy Camp, far-northern California. 430 miles, an early start from the South Bay.

# Sun to Ashland and then halfway up Ken Hattan's "Oregon Cascades" route, stopping near Bend. 380 miles.

# Mon the rest of the way north on Ken's route, then east to Kennewick, 440 miles

# Tue to Bozeman, 540 miles. This breaks down as 190 miles of OK(?) roads to the foot of the amazing stretch of US12 in Idaho, 140 miles of that stretch to Missoula, and 117 miles on pretty and interesting I-90 to Butte, finally another 90 boring Interstate miles to Bozeman. The last parts can even be after dark; I don't think we'll be missing much. I'd rather burn moonlight Tuesday than daylight on Wednesday: the Yellowstone day is already 400 miles.

# Wed to Red Lodge, Beartooth Pass, Yellowstone, and Jackson. 400 miles to the Motel 6 south of Jackson.

# Thur to Park City 240 miles. Easy-peasy.

I really like the idea of Red Lodge and Beartooth Pass, rather than the shorter-and-easier route south from Bozeman through the park. But when the day comes we might feel differently.

Are you thinking of camping? I have a propane stove for cooking and morning coffee.

Check out the map at https://www.bestbits.org/wfo6_trip_2007.htm ... it doesn't show this longer route through Oregon but otherwise that's it. Follow the "let me know" link to e-mail me directly. (I don't want to post my e-mail in this forum, but it's no secret if you go to bestbits.)

I've updated my web page with this "wider" route, going up the east side of Oregon. It requires some over-500-mile days, but remember there will be many daylight hours. https://www.bestbits.org/wfo6_trip_2007.htm

Haven't heard back from JB or Waaane since Monday. Since we're all local, I'd love to get together with you guys and talk it over. Go to my WFO6 page and click "feedback" or "let me know" to send me e-mail and let's have coffee somewhere. Other interested folks are also welcome to reply here or e-mail me.

Starting to get psyched!

Haven't heard back from JB or Waaane since Monday. Since we're all local, I'd love to get together with you guys and talk it over.
Hi, Apratt. Thanks for your PM, by the way. The long way 'round isn't going to work for me after all (in fact, not sure I can make WFO at all because my son just got the gig of his life--up to 19 yrs old anyway--on that WFO Sunday, and I have to make a "death-bed" decision--what will I regret most on my death bed that I missed, WFO or my son's gig?).

But we should all get together and talk as you suggest. Look for a posting in the California topic area.

Jb

Aprat, as a Long Haul Truck Driver I can assure you that a ride through central/eastern Oregon via Bend, Burns to Pendleton is very flat desert and very boring for a rider that likes twisties. Also Boise, Twin Falls to Salt Lake are ho-hum too. Yellowstone is fantastic but will be very crowded with extremely slow motorhomes and such. With few places to pass, it will be a tough ride.

Your route does look very good because you are avoiding eastern Oregon and southern Idaho. I'll see if I can attach my Street and Trips planned ride from the Columbia River south... nope...guess not.

Marauder (aka Bill Landsborough)

Wenatchee, WA