Wanted: Bike with character

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad you defined your version of "character". I think it syncs pretty well with my own, but I also recognize that not all character is created equal.

That said (written), the modern bike I've ridden with the highest character (by my definition) would be the Ducati Multistrada. It was an older one (perhaps 2014-ish), and I have no idea what they are today. On that very short ride, I figured out what it is that Ducati peeps wig out over. It's the "character" of the bike. It would never work for me, if only for the maintenance cost. But that bike definitely spoke to me.

Regarding an older bike, the winner would be easy - 5th generation Honda VFR800., rigged for touring. Holy Toledo! That was a wonderful motorcycle.

Old bikes with "character" are fun to restore. Finding parts, fixing others,getting it all to work is really exciting. But when it's done, and you take it for a ride, you realize how much bikes have progressed, and antiquated brakes and handling aren't really that much fun. Get a DR 400 or 600 or equivalent and have a blast on back roads or dirt roads with little to no maintenance. Perfect compliment to an FJR.

guys on the forum I belong to say the 2013-2014, 2017 Honda CB1100 has lots of character. My '14 Deluxe is very pretty and I enjoy riding it.
Perhaps, being a refined air cooled Honda, it lacks the character. But maybe it fits the bill.

I would pick a different engine design than an inline four, as the FJR already has that covered. Every different design gives the bike a different feel, riding experience and character. Think parallel twins, v-twins, triples, singles, V-fours, counterbalances or not.

Howdy from sunny Vancouver/Fraser Valley, BC
After selling my long owned & way too farkled 2000 Busa last July I wanted another 'character/tinker' bike. Went online looking for an older, air cooled Brit twin & came across a 2007 Moto Guzzi Griso 1100. Still love my 2012 FJR, but the Griso is a ton of fun. Cheers
View attachment MERGE 2.jpg

Attachments

• OIP.jpg
    OIP.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 2
Howdy from sunny Vancouver/Fraser Valley View attachment 1619
After selling my long owned & way too farkled 2000 Busa last July I wanted another 'character/tinker' bike. Went online looking for an older, air cooled Brit twin & came across a 2007 Moto Guzzi Griso 1100. Still love my 2012 FJR, but the Griso is a ton of fun. Cheers
View attachment 1620

Attachments

• 20210727_180701_HDRx.jpg
    20210727_180701_HDRx.jpg
    955.1 KB · Views: 7