Water pump

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a stupid question if you have a boat. No, the impeller does not need checking, just like a car.

Not a stupid question if you have a boat. No, the impeller does not need checking, just like a car.
Good answer! Excepting you forgot to add that it IS a stupid question for a motorcycle! :D

But that's ok....... that's what FJRForum is here for!

Gen l's don't have propellers. Got Damned gen ll's might have 'em though.

And I'm going out on a limb here.. Bet you didn't read what you were told to when you signed in did ya??

Otherwise you wouldn't have asked a'suspected'stupid question regarding this POS Platform.

Last edited by a moderator:

And I'm going out on a limb here.. Bet you didn't read what you were told to when you signed in did ya??

Otherwise you wouldn't have asked a'suspected'stupid question regarding this POS Platform.
I dare you to show me where the required reading talks about water pump impeller replacement intervals...Or the lack of them.

Gotta admit though, if you're really the kind of guy worrying about when you need to dismantle your water pump to to replace parts, you might as well sell the bike and prepare for an early heart attack. I've never even heard of that on a MC.

I dare you to show me where the required reading talks about water pump impeller replacement intervals...Or the lack of them.

Gotta admit though, if you're really the kind of guy worrying about when you need to dismantle your water pump to to replace parts, you might as well sell the bike and prepare for a early heart attack. gang anal intrusion I've never even heard of that on a MC.

Old forum farts belching again..

Don't worry aboot yer water pump - history shows no issues, even for long high mileage bikes.

Oh, old forum pharts?

:fuck:

Hugs n' Kisses

dcarver has this right. If anybody here would have had a water pump failure, it's him!

(This might be too subtle for a n00b....)

I actually had the pump start leaking out the weep hole in May 2011 when we stopped for lunch in Little Switzerland in NC. Wasn't too bad and made it back to the campground okay. Next morning it was pissing like a racehorse. We pulled the pump and did a picnic table dis-assembly. There was some corrosion on the seal and in the housing. Carefully cleaned it up, used some Honda sealant (gasp) and reassembled. Online parts diagrams are invaluable. I've been running it for over a year now without any other issues (knock on wood). Have a box of pump parts for overhaul ready to go if it every is an issue again.

Interestingly, you can't just buy a replacement pump. Just the parts to rebuild it, or assemble it. At least as best as I can tell.

I actually had the pump start leaking out the weep hole in May 2011 when we stopped for lunch in Little Switzerland in NC. Wasn't too bad and made it back to the campground okay. Next morning it was pissing like a racehorse. We pulled the pump and did a picnic table dis-assembly. There was some corrosion on the seal and in the housing. Carefully cleaned it up, used some Honda sealant (gasp) and reassembled. Online parts diagrams are invaluable. I've been running it for over a year now without any other issues (knock on wood). Have a box of pump parts for overhaul ready to go if it every is an issue again.

Interestingly, you can't just buy a replacement pump. Just the parts to rebuild it, or assemble it. At least as best as I can tell.
+1

Mine did same thing last year at EOM. Never leaked to bad, just could smell sweet of antifreeze once in a while when it dripped on the exhaust.

Same problem. Corrosion got under the seal keeping it from sealing. Cleaned it all up, new seal, and I coated the housing where the seal goes with none hardening gasket sealer hoping to stop future corrosion build-up.

Edit- Gen I's do it too, you just can't smell it over the oil smell. They think it's normal to add oil and anti-freeze on a ride. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

+1

Mine did same thing last year at EOM. Never leaked to bad, just could smell sweet of antifreeze once in a while when it dripped on the exhaust.

Same problem. Corrosion got under the seal keeping it from sealing. Cleaned it all up, new seal, and I coated the housing where the seal goes with none hardening gasket sealer hoping to stop future corrosion build-up.

Edit- Gen I's do it too, you just can't smell it over the oil smell. They think it's normal to add oil and anti-freeze on a ride past the electrically stranded Gen IIs. :p
Figure a Gen II post would need repairing, too. :p