Waterpump noise?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's actually a new one to me and sounds more like air whistling. Did it start all of a sudden? If so, what did you change on the bike recently or happen to the bike that was unusual? Maybe a vacuum or intake leak?

Maybe to localize the noise specifically use the fuel tube stethoscope method. Put a yard of it up to your ear and move the other end around on the area of the bike making the noise and try to localize it more accurately. You should be able to confirm it's the water pump or maybe it's something adjacent that area.

Yeah haven’t heard this before either, it just started today. I hadn’t worked on the bike or changed anything on it. The hunt for the cause is on!

Stethoscope the engine cases. If it's the impeller shaft bearing going bad purchase a new complete pump vs rebuild parts. Gen I/II only repair parts vs Gen III Yamaha started to.offer complete pump. I used my 2008 cover color match on a 2018 low mile pump $50.00. I used O ring lube on new outer shaft O ring. Check your coolant tank for spots of oil. Mine had a noise and mechanical oil seal failed on impeller. The top hose on the pump connectors to top of the tank.

Find any obvious issues with old pump? Bad bearing, loose shaft... ?
It's nice that the pump is easy to replace... I've got a GEN3 unit on my '05 ;-).
Mr. BR