WCR Video

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamafitter

Reigning NERDS Granite Lane Gold Medalist
Reaction score
This first video was from a constuction area on Hwy 4 heading over to Tofino. They were doing some line painting and wanted vehicles to pass to the right. The trucks in front were too wide to pass in this area so we took the oportunity to get by. The video documents what happened when Bungie tried to pass the Frito-Lay truck...

Here is a much more fun video of the ride back from Tofino on Friday afternoon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting that up Bill. Glad the audio didn't catch me making up new swear words and throwing the finger at that asshole.

Just for the record. As you can see I was maybe going a mile an hour faster than traffic AND I flipped my headlight modulator on...

Asswipe... what burned me the most is I saw him laughing in his rear view mirror.

Just for the record. As you can see I was maybe going a mile an hour faster than traffic AND I flipped my headlight modulator on...
... what burned me the most is I saw him laughing in his rear view mirror.
I'm going to wait till I get home to send the video to Pepsico (they own Frito Lay) so that I can play the original footage on my high res monitor and get the plate number off the truck. That way there will be no question about who the offending party is.

Two 'wrongs' don't make 'right'. While the truck pulled a very unprofessional move, who do you think precipitated it? Why don't you send that video to the highway department too (I think there will be two citations issued).

And the penalty for passing on the shoulder or splitting lanes isn't death either. It's not other motorists' duty to become self appointed traffic cops. If he has a problem with it call it in to the police but don't put other peoples lives in danger.

What it really comes down to, is that people have this idea that everything needs to be fair and balanced. Sorry life isn't that way. They think that "Well I'm sitting in line. so should they." Well I don't have a cage to protect me from a rear collision, I don't have A/C, and I'm not forcing you to drive a truck or car. You can just as easily get your own motorcycle and have the same capabilities I have on mine.

Two 'wrongs' don't make 'right'. While the truck pulled a very unprofessional move, who do you think precipitated it? Why don't you send that video to the highway department too (I think there will be two citations issued).
I would like to point out that at the start of the video there was a Ministry of Transportation truck directing people to pass to the right. Just because the truck could not get by the line painting equipment on the shoulder does not mean that he should not let the motorcycles safely past in my view. As Bungie stated earlier that fact that the trucker was seen laughing about the fact that he had almost wreaked a bike into the ditch proves that it was an intentional and dangerous move. I intend to give Pepsico the opportunity to respond in a timely manner. If I do not receive an appropriate response I will discuss with Bungie if we wish to contact the RCMP who have jurisdiction.

:rolleyes:

I think if you bothered to read the original post, rather than just watch the video, you'd have understood that in that situation, Steve's actions were not only legal, but as directed!

I case you are not aware here is the link to the original incident when a Frito-Lay truck attempted to shunt Bungie...

WCR incident with truck

As promised I sent the video as part of this e-mail to the Frito-Lay Canadain offices...

"On Friday, September 10th at approximately 10AM, a fellow motorcyclist and I were travelling Hwy 4 on Vancouver Island just east of Port Alberni and were in a construction zone following one of your company trucks. There was line painting equipment in front of us and there was a Ministry of Transportation vehicle directing traffic to pass the equipment to the right as seen at the beginning of the attached video.

The Frito-Lay truck could not pass at this particular spot due to the width of the shoulder but when my friend attempted to go by, the driver deliberately blocked his way in an extremely dangerous and unprofessional manner. My friend had previously made eye contact in the truck's mirror with the driver and was in plain view of the driver when the pass was attempted. We know the blocking move was deliberate since my friend could see the driver laughing after almost putting my friend in the ditch.

I captured this incident on video and have posted it on YouTube and you may view this incident for yourself:

I would like to think that it is not the company's policy to tolerate such behaviour from your employees or representatives and would appreciate a timely reply about this matter.

Yours Sincerely,

Bill Fitkowski"

I sent this today since I had hoped to be able to determine the licence number of the vehicle when I viewed it in high resolution but I still was not able to read the plate number.

The following was the reply sent to me by the company...

"Here's our response to your e-mail - RE: one of our products, Reference #011189688A

Hi Bill,

Thank you for writing to us. We appreciate you providing the information about the driving performance of one of our Frito-Lay employees.

Let me assure you that we expend a tremendous effort to ensure that our consumers are satisfied with both the products we make and the services we offer throughout our organization. Our employees work hard to provide excellent service, which includes safe and courteous driving. Because you took the time to contact us regarding this incident, we are taking steps to stress the importance of professional driving to all of our drivers. A representative directly responsible for the employee you reported will conduct a thorough review of this incident.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We consider you a valued consumer and hope your future encounters with Frito-Lay are positive.

Best regards,

Tina

Frito-Lay Consumer Affairs

011189688A"

I am hoping this is not just lip service.

Spent 30 years directing operations for a trucking terminal.

Seems like the standard public reply to a driving complaint. Companys these days are very reluctant to committe to a definitive course of action in public.

Internally,if he was one of my drivers a copy of the video would go to HR along with a note from me saying "this driver needs to go now before he kills somebody".

The fact that he put another person intentionally at risk, and laughed about it, means he shouldn't be behind the wheel of a commercal vehicle or any vehicle for that matter.

Yeah, I was a complete Dick, when it came to stupid stuff like this.

I agree with Airboss. While the company will not admit to much in public I beleive the driver will not be laughing after a chit-chat with management.

Thanks for forwarding this to Pepsi/FritoLay on my behalf Bill. I didn't expect much to come of it, but one hopes that given the area in which their rep's cover, they now who the offending party is and he'll get his foreskin rapped but hard.

What pisses me off more than the intentional cut off was a certain member of the forum in attendance at WCR who shall remain nameless, but flat out said it was dangerous move and I deserved what I got. Maybe so, but I didn't break any laws and proceeded in an extremely cautious manner. All 'moves' on a motorcycle are dangerous. But I know this person admitted to not having even so much as look at the video.

I'm sure he thought I flew passed on the right, illegally, waving my naughty bits at the truck driver.

That just isn't the case, so to you, good sir. Go fuck yourself. I was told you're a dickwad and your actions prove it.

Glad to see no one was injured - it's one thing when they don't see us, but when they do and make a move like that intentionally... oy.