Weekend Ride to Eat, Ride to Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floridave

Reaction score
Forgive the cut and paste from my blog, that's directed to a more general audience, but you get the idea. Going to be a heck of a weekend of riding.

==================================================================

RIDE TO EAT, RIDE TO RIDE

Fact is, I’m really hungry for some GOOD BBQ, and REALLY curvy roads on the motorcycle.

With very little prompting from a buddy, the GPS routing software came out and a plan came together. How about a quick run from our homes in Florida, up to the original Dreamland BBQ in Tuscaloosa, Alabama for lunch, then on to North Carolina via Nashville/Knoxville to ride Tail of the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway?

This week, I’m in final stages of organizing, prepping the FJR1300, and route planning for a motorcycle trip with my buddy Jim Sullivan for next weekend. Jim’s a running buddy, who helped me out with my first Western States 100. And we both happen to ride motorcycles.

It’ll just be a short Sat/Sun weekend cruise, about 1700 miles total, to earn both IBA SaddleSore 1000 and Bun Burner 1500 certificates. That’s 1000 miles of riding in under 24 hours, and 1500 miles in under 36 hours. Will the craziness ever end Tamara asks? No, I really don’t think so Honey.

My FJR is a mile munching machine, and I know Jim’s BMW is also. I just mounted a new front tire, have my GPS wired, all the fluids changed and it’s ready to go.

We leave early Saturday from Orlando/Clermont, taking back roads through the Big Bend/Panhandle of Florida, then up to Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

Our First Destination…

Dreamland(history) is a little hole in the wall place, a little off of I-20 where Tamara and I used to stop during our trips back and forth from Huntsville, AL to Monroe, LA.

John “Big Daddy” Bishop Founder of Dreamland in 1958.

dl-kitchen-photo.jpg

This was before they had franchised locations all over the Southeast, it was the one and only Dreamland. Never took long to figure out what you would order, as the menu consisted of Ribs and Whitebread(Sunbeam I believe, in the plastic wrapper). That’s it. When your order came, you had a rack of ribs, a complete loaf of Sunbeam bread, a roll of paper towels, and a Coke or Beer. Messy, fattening, always packed, but great food, great atmosphere, great people.

To finish the 1000 mile in a day mark…

After the stop at Dreamland, we’re back on the bikes for the next 500 plus miles, taking a long zig-zag route to Knoxville, TN. Birmingham, Chattanooga, Nashville, Knoxville. WHEW!

Time to rest.

Second Destination…

A few hours break, and we’ll be hitting the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway. This is some of the best motorcycle riding to be had anywhere. https://www.tailofthedragon.com/

todmap_lrg.jpg

chero_logo.jpg

Talk about a roller coaster! This is going to be QUITE different than the straight Florida roads I’m normally riding. I used to travel/camp all over this area on my KZ1000 long ago, can’t wait to get up there and ride again.

After that, it’s down through Atlanta, and interstate highway all the way back home. If all goes as planned, we’ll be back home well before dark on Sunday, with 1700 miles and 5 states under our tires.

Hurry up, weekend! I’m ready to go!

fjrsugarloaf.jpg

Yamaha FJR1300

copied from https://irun100s.com/daveharper/

Dave,

You must be my brother from another mother. If I lived closer I would be all over this ride. You had me at BBQ.

Enjoy yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave,

Congratulations on your Bun Burner ride.

By the way, do you know that you can go to killboy.com and enter the date you rode the Tail Of The Dragon and most likely find a picture of you riding through the Dragon. (I have no interest or connection with killboy)

I think we went through before any photographers were out. It was around 8:00am or so. We had it almost to ourselves.

Dave,
Congratulations on your Bun Burner ride.

By the way, do you know that you can go to killboy.com and enter the date you rode the Tail Of The Dragon and most likely find a picture of you riding through the Dragon. (I have no interest or connection with killboy)

Excellent report Dave and Congrats on the ride!

A buddy and I completed the SS1000 the same weekend running through Knoxville and over into NC. It was killing me to pass through the Carolina mtns and miss all the wonderful riding roads. But, I am fortunate enough to be just a hop-skip and jump away. We were passing through the Knoxville area on our way back to Birmingham around midnight on the 27th as well. That would have been bizarre to if we had happened into each other!

I have to say ditto to your comments on the FJR. The bike is just so smooth, poweful, agile, responsive, comfortable - you name it... it almost makes it feel like you are cheating.

Hopefully we'll see you in Johnson City at the EOM!

Last edited by a moderator: