Welcome to the bleeding edge

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brodie

Darksider #16 - and Proud of it !
Reaction score
With many thanks to the people buying my Grounding Harness, I went out and bought my iPad (Wi-fi+3G) last saturday morning. I spent the weekend getting to know it.

Right up front i'm going to say "This isn't a laptop!" Don't expect it to take the place of one - yet.

My goal is to use it for trips. It has a browser, photo storage/display, music, word processor, stand alone turn by turn GPS (does not require a network connection), e-mail, and many other things that make it appealing for traveling. I want 1 device that takes care of everything. As it stands this may come close.

I started this thread in hopes that a few other brave souls are out here bleeding with me. Perhaps we can share notes and avoid duplicating each other's mistakes/dead ends.

Here it is mounted on my bike in a tank bag map window...

DSC00554.jpg

Granted, it looks a bit sloppy, but it worked. The problem with this set up is it is a hostile environment for this rather fragile piece of electronics. In direct sun it got hot inside that map pouch fast. Above 95 degrees the iPad will shut off. Any attempt to get it working while hot will give you a temperature warning. There is a reason Apple has an aluminum back to this - heat dissipation. Sitting in my lap it stays cool because of that feature, but put it inside of an oven bag on top of the tank in the sun and it will go dark.

The other problem is rain. It must be kept dry. Ask anyone with an iPhone that got wet, they will tell you that Apple will not cover it under warranty.

When I make my handlebar mount case, I will have to take those requirements into consideration.

I rode around Santa Clara for a few hours with it plugged into the aux. input port on my Jensen AM/FM radio. My tank bag is wired up to my bike and the iPad powered up through a Griffin automotive power adapter. The bike had no problem satisfying it's electrical requirements. My Jensen radio feeds into my Starcom Digital audio port. I only had stereo sound for the ride. That was enough to prove out the GPS App. I installed from the App Store. I chose Navigon My region - US West for the GPS App. It worked pretty well. It was accurate, able to re direct me when I got off track (on purpose), and was able to play my music in the back ground. I will be playing with it some more in the next few days to see how much it meets my ideas.

My next thing to find out is will it hook up to my Starcom the same way a Garmin 660, 1 stereo input, and the other Aux. output. I know the iPad has a 4/3 contact head set/mic. input port. I bought a Skull Candy ear bud set with microphone and tried it out using the dictation App I downloaded. What I need to do now is find a 4 conductor 1/8 inch plug that I can wire up to 2 separate cables.

Following that, I plan to pair my Bluetooth enabled phone and try to make calls with it. If nothing else it would be nice to have it look up my address book listings and dial from there.

If you want to use the iPad in a car it will work fine. Temperature wise it wants to be comfortable just like you. It won't get wet inside a car either. If you get an iPad you can go without a Garmin in a car. On a motorcycle it just isn't ready yet.

My ultimate goal is to have the iPad take care of everything electronic on the bike, without a Starcom. Music, navigation, intercom, telephone dialer, AM/FM/XM/Weather band. Bike to bike via GMRS or CB, on top of meeting my computing needs. I want to dictate my trip diary and have it convert it to text. I want to take pictures and Wyfi transfer to the photo album - Geotagged. And I want all this to be portable, perhaps mounted in a tank bag. IT should be able to transfer from bike to bike.

:blink:

This may take a while. ;)

Brodie

Last edited by a moderator:
This type of use was my first thought when I first heard about the iPad. Think we need to put the pressure on to OtterBox to manufacture a heat dissipating, waterproof case for the iPad. With that, I'd be all over one of these!

Just wondering how you find the screen for readability in the the sun? My iPhone isn't great.

Keep up the pioneering! :D

Interesting. Am wondering if you put in one of the side bags and bluetoothed it to your helmet. Currently we bluetooth our ipods to our helmets. IF, you could blue tooth that thing to your helmet, put it in the side bag and still get directions from it, it should work. Why do you need to look at the map? Just listen to directions and you should be able to get there. This will take it out of the sun, etc...

Also, did you put the 3M film on the front of it to protect the screen? Am wondering how durable those things are from scratches.

Interesting. Am wondering if you put in one of the side bags and bluetoothed it to your helmet. Currently we bluetooth our ipods to our helmets. IF, you could blue tooth that thing to your helmet, put it in the side bag and still get directions from it, it should work. Why do you need to look at the map? Just listen to directions and you should be able to get there. This will take it out of the sun, etc...
Also, did you put the 3M film on the front of it to protect the screen? Am wondering how durable those things are from scratches.
If you were going to do that, you might as well get an iPod Touch (or iPhone if you have one). [Edit: Most of the] Same applications will run on it, and a much smaller form factor.

Of course, if you'd also like the iPad to use at your stops/destination/whatever, then disregard ;)

About seven years I had a similar idea - this was back when portable GPS's weren't very good or way too expensive. I was using Delorme's Street Atlas with the Topo maps and wanted something similar for the bike. So I drew up plans to build a tiny computer to sit in a tank bag. It would be a mini-ATX form factor but the screen would be one of those flexible touchscreens. THen I got busy with other things, the Zumo was released, tablet computers were hitting the scene, and I decided to put my efforts into other things.

The Ipad in a tank bag idea is pretty cool ... I'm just surprised it hasn't been with the tablet computers yet ... mmm with the introduction of SSD this may now be even more feasible.

Vibration??....... electronics don't likie vibrations.

Good job Brodie........... Mcgyver............

Great progress report!

I've been traveling with a netbook (Acer 10.1") instead of a laptop for a year or so and the netbook does 90+% of what I need on the road. Plus, the size is far better for long periods in an airline seat when the person in front of you reclines that seat, for sitting at a restaurant table, etc. Plus, having an almost 7 hour battery how I use it. But I always knew it'd be an interim step.

Got to play with an Ipad at the Apple store 2 weeks ago and have no doubt that it and the inevitable PC-based versions will be the future. I have zero doubt that cool Otterboxes and such will be out soon. Talk about distracted driving potential!

Brodie - I'm jealous as heck.

Might become a bit distracting mounted there.....I'm just sayin'
I completely agree. The screen is WAAAYYYYYY too big for use on a motorcycle. You need to be able to see everything you need to see in a quick glance - like 0.5 seconds or so. You're going to find yourself looking at the screen for several seconds at a time since all of the information is so spread out. That sort of distraction spells an accident at best.

Also keep in mind that at night, this thing is going to be shining in your face like a flashlight.

Bad idea all around in my mind.

I think bad ideas and distractions tend to be in the hands of the user to control.

So, you think it displays too much info requiring too long a stare at it to get the data you need? Pinch or stretch the image size to suit your situation then. Can't do THAT with a static map in the pocket.

Perhaps I'm overly sensitive to the "driving distracted" thing after recently watching Oprah, but more than half of the examples she paraded out were clearly cases where the person was a bit, um... dumb. I mean, can you actually claim to believe you didn't know that texting while driving could be distracting...?

But, I digress...

Truth is, the arguments above ARE valid. I'd encourage folks to judge the effectiveness of ideas like this on their own. I'd certainly try it, but I have conditions of my own to make ME feel safer.

I actually almost bought a 64gb/3G iPad on Friday evening. (Decided to buy a Russell seat instead - figured the Russell is more comfortable to sit on than the iPad would be... ;) ) It dawned on me when asking the salesperson "why" I'd buy an iPad, and he droned on, that exactly this use case is what I'd want the unit for! As a rolling map in a tank bag... hmmm... I'm starting to pick up Brodie's mind waves from a distance it seems... LOL

Too bad about the temp shut-down issues, but nothing a small computer fan wired into the case shouldn't be able to help with. ;) Low amp draw, quiet, flows lots of air...

I'm wondering about the following:

1 - access is limited by bag style, so how does one effectively manage making changes, if needed. With a paper map, you'd just pull over and refold. Safest bet here is the same, I guess, but feedback/ideas welcome. :)

2 - polarized sun glasses. I can't recall how my iPhone fares when viewed through polarized sun glasses, but this thought crossed my mind while shopping last week, as I use polarized glasses when riding. How do polarized glasses affect viewability?

Bottom line, though, is I think this is some cool a$$ application of a cool new tech.

2 - polarized sun glasses. I can't recall how my iPhone fares when viewed through polarized sun glasses, but this thought crossed my mind while shopping last week, as I use polarized glasses when riding. How do polarized glasses affect viewability?
Polarized sunglasses are not all compatible with LCD screens since LCDs use a polarizing screen as well. Try it out looking at the LCD panel on your bike. Now tilt your head from left to right and close one eye, then the other. You'll see what the effect can be.

I bought a pair of polarized sunglasses, but returned them after trying to use them with my mirror tinted visor - saw rainbows everywhere!!! Plus the LCD display on the bike was only visible if I tilted my head to the left.

Polarized sunglasses are not all compatible with LCD screens since LCDs use a polarizing screen as well. Try it out looking at the LCD panel on your bike. Now tilt your head from left to right and close one eye, then the other. You'll see what the effect can be.
Yeah, this I understand. When standing next to my bike, I can't see the powered-up LCD screen info on the bike. BUT, from any position while ON the bike, I can see it just fine.

Given this application of an LCD screen will be in yet another location, I was hoping for real world feedback, not just theory (not discounting YOUR experience here, but the iPad scenario is not the same as your helmet visor experience. Similar, yes, but not the same, IMO.). The theory I understand. In my experience, though, real world results sometimes don't match up - hence my question. ;)

I would think that this would be too large of a form factor to be of any real use as is on the bike due to placement for viewing and heat build up. If you paired it with something like this: USB powered touchscreen monitor with the pad (or other laptop) in a bag, it might function better. The issue would be finding a way to waterproof the monitor. I don't think heat would be an issue for the monitor if it was tilted towards the rider with some sort of sun sheild. The heat inside the bags would be an issue for the i-pad, but maybe not for other laptops/netbooks.

I'm waiting for the Gen II. The one that plugs into your ear and the screen is the inside of your eyelids. B)
But it will be heavier, slower, and suffer from constant electrical malfunctions, not to mention a factory recall on the power switch. And the CPU will go wonky with altitude changes.

:devil:

Downsides:

dies at 95° so it wouldn't work from late april to early november is a lot of the western US

region-level maps (wha dup wi dat? no national?)

Upside:

can stream movies to it for when a stretch of road is boring

Perhaps [SIZE=24pt]I'm overly sensitive [/SIZE]to the "driving distracted" thing after [SIZE=24pt]recently watching Oprah[/SIZE], but more than half of the examples [SIZE=24pt]she paraded out [/SIZE]were clearly cases where the person was a bit, um... dumb.
ManCardRevoked.jpg

Sorry...couldn't wait 'till Friday :D