Well crap, no green dot CCT (2008)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad German

Reaction score
Out of curiosity I checked my CCT. No green dot. I’m doomed. Crap!
A5BFBAC3-53FF-4A20-9CD6-1FE93F0EDBC5.jpeg

The green (or blue) dot is on the side of the flange. Possible that it is on the other side? (check with an inspection mirror.)
I thought that they had switched over in late 2007 (my '07 had the old version), but they didn't make any announcement so perhaps some 2008 bikes still had the older version as well. If the bike doesn't have any cam chain rattle when starting cold (can of marbles on the right side), I might wait until your next valve check is due and replace it at that time. If it is noisy, replace it sooner rather than later.
How many miles on the bike?

The green (or blue) dot is on the side of the flange. Possible that it is on the other side? (check with an inspection mirror.)
I thought that they had switched over in late 2007 (my '07 had the old version), but they didn't make any announcement so perhaps some 2008 bikes still had the older version as well. If the bike doesn't have any cam chain rattle when starting cold (can of marbles on the right side), I might wait until your next valve check is due and replace it at that time. If it is noisy, replace it sooner rather than later.
How many miles on the bike?
I tried to look at all sides but had a little trouble. I might look again later. I’ve got 21,000 miles on my 2008.

Yes, check with an inspection mirror all around the flange if you can. Most likely though, your CCT doesn’t have a dot. Both CCTs I installed had (have) the dot on the flange on front of the bottom well (visible below the arrow) on your picture. This is true for the pictures I saw of the CCTs in parts catalogs like Revzilla. URL: https://www.partzilla.com/product/yamaha/1MC-12210-00-00#:~:text=1MC-12210-00--,00,-by Yamaha

By the way, you are not doomed (yet). You would be if your tensioner would have already failed, which is not the case - obviously. As others suggested earlier, if you can’t find the dot, then put the CCT replacement on your (shorter) list of things to get done.

Good luck!

RiderJoe

I tried to look at all sides but had a little trouble. I might look again later. I’ve got 21,000 miles on my 2008.
21,000 miles is pretty low for a failure so you are most likely OK for a while ( - although the bike is 15 years old.)
As I mentioned, if it was my bike and didn't have a blue or green dot on the CCT, I would change it at the same time as the next (first) valve check which is due pretty soon, assuming it hasn't been done already.

Regarding valve checks, clearances don't change quickly but it is a good idea to do the first one according to schedule to get a baseline. Valves are often toward the tight side of the acceptable interval right from the factory and they typically only get tighter over time. Most people don't have to make adjustments until the second or third check, if done according to schedule. (A check is MUCH easier than an adjustment, especially if you haven't done one before.)

Are you planning to do the valve check yourself (or with help) or will you take it to a dealer?

Since you're close to the first valve inspection, I'd wait until then and plan for a tensioner change. If DIY, there's many threads addressing the inspection and changing a tensioner.

Good luck!

~G