Went for a ride today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
-20c in Winnipeg..no riding for me until late April…
I can't count on any particular day being a suitable temperature for riding until late April either but can usually manage a few days in March - optimistic target is by St. Patrick's Day for a first ride most years. Sometimes isn't possible due to ice on the street in my subdivision; even if I am willing to brave temperatures near freezing (using heated gear).

Long-range forecast for this week had included a high temperature of +14°C and sunny for Thursday and I had hopes of getting out. In the last three days, the forecast high has dropped to +10°C (+50°F) - still acceptable but I expect it to be revised downward again before tomorrow. Don't think I have ever managed to get out for a ride in February in New Brunswick. It would be salty with ice-melt brine on the street but I would go for it as long as the roads are dry. Would likely take the BMW F700GS rather than the FJR - fewer exposed alloy bits to be damaged by salt...

🤞🤞🤞

Alas, at my lat / longitude, and proximity to the Canuck Rockies, RossKean's posture on pre-Spring season rides is even more pertinent here.
Once in a while, when stars align, we get a +10c day, and I am tempted to crawl under my Feejer's cover, disconnect the battery tender, and fire her up before mid-March. Always too much ice out on the roads though to bother... :cry:

Alas, at my lat / longitude, and proximity to the Canuck Rockies, RossKean's posture on pre-Spring season rides is even more pertinent here.
Once in a while, when stars align, we get a +10c day, and I am tempted to crawl under my Feejer's cover, disconnect the battery tender, and fire her up before mid-March. Always too much ice out on the roads though to bother... :cry:
Hi Cyclepath, I'm in Sherwood and also have felt the urge to fire up the bike but unless you are going to give it a good warm up and ride it may not be the best plan. Due to health issues I have not ridden but a few kms in about 2 years but am ready to resume riding. Please keep in touch and perhaps we can join up sometime. Gary

Temperature went up to +10°C today and some sun. Most of the ice was off the streets in my subdivision so I cranked up the BMW F700GS and went for a ride. First time ever riding in New Brunswick in February! Hosed most of the salt and mud off it after a 140 km ride and it will likely sit for another month before I get another chance. Nice to get out!!

1676580095553.jpeg

Hi Cyclepath, I'm in Sherwood and also have felt the urge to fire up the bike but unless you are going to give it a good warm up and ride it may not be the best plan. Due to health issues I have not ridden but a few kms in about 2 years but am ready to resume riding. Please keep in touch and perhaps we can join up sometime. Gary
Hey nice to hear from you Gary F, and that you are literally right in my backyard (that is rare in my time here so far).
Will look to connect with you over a coffee or something when the season permits! :coffee:

All the best...