West Coast FODS and FOG June 9-12, 2016

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UberKul

Tire Assassin
Reaction score
i-8VtPLmC-S.jpg

FODS and FOG, the West Coast FJR Owners with Dual-Sports (FODS) and FJR Owners with Guns gathering of 2016

Thurs June 9th through Sunday June 12th, 2016.

The idea is for FJR owners, or anyone really, to meet, ride and shoot together. Load up your camper/RV or stay in a cottage but day-trippers are always welcome. If you are new or getting reacquainted to dirt you won't be alone, there will be more experienced riders who will gladly guide you in the way of the dirt. If you are experienced, come share some tips with us newbies and receive free drinks from those you have enlightened.
This is open to all bikes, dirt bikes, quads, UTVs and street bikes. Friends and relatives are all welcome. Guns bring-em, Shoot-em and let others shoot-em because its mostly BLM land in the Nevada desert.
gun.gif
BYO guns, ammo, targets, stands and throwers. If you've ever wanted to try out (fill in the blank) you might get to if this goes as hoped. No, full auto and suppressed are not on the menu from this Californian.

Walker River Resort #1 Hudson Way, Post Office Box 90 Smith Valley, NV 89430 800-446-2573 or 775-465-2573
The venue is a RV park on the Smith River with cottages available that sleeps up to 6 guests, pool bar and small convenience store. An oasis in a sea of riding best describes this place.
Link to Google Map.

One cottage available as of 3/28/16.

Deluxe River view Cottages (no pets)
Rates based on 2 people:
Mon. - Thurs.: $134.00 per night
Fri. - Sundays: $154.00 per night
Each Additional Person: $10.00 per night
These large units feature vaulted ceilings, air conditioning, private patio and lawns along with barbecues, outdoor furniture and shade trees. Each cottage sleeps up to 6 guests. There is a full kitchen in every unit. Linens and towels are provided. Beds consist of two queen size and two twins. (Two night minimum rental)

General Public:pull-Thru RV Sites
Power, Water, and Sewer Hook-up: $49.00 - $51.00/night
Power and Water Hook-up: $47.00 - $49.00/night
Good Sam and AAA Discounts available on RV sites at check-in.

Tent Camping: $37.00/night (Limit 1 Family up to 6 people)

Other Amenities
Pool and hot tub are open mid-May through mid-September (closed by the time we get there), the pool is heated. Hours are 8:30 AM - 8:00 PM Sunday - Thursday. Hours are 8:30 AM - 10:00 PM Friday - Saturday. The General Store and Laundry Room are available year around, seven days a week from April 1st through October 31st. Limited hours during the winter season. The General Store carries a variety of groceries and sundries including candy, novelty ice cream, chips and dip, sodas, beer and wine, ice, milk, eggs, butter, charcoal, lighter fluid, etc. The closest supermarkets are located in Gardnerville, NV (35 miles) and Yerington, NV (22 miles). The Laundry Room has eight washing machines and eight dryers. Change is available in the Store and Lounge.

Walker River Resort also has Sporting Clays & Five Stand Shooting
27 Sporting Clays Stations set amongst natural sage, bitter brush, and willows. Abutted on the north side by rolling hills and ravines and to the south flows the West Walker River. Lattice shooting cages, redwood gun racks, and benches throughout the course with highly visible and diverse target presentation. The stations are fully automatic. Shooters may walk or drive the course.
Suggested Hours:
Summer: 8:30 AM 6:00 PM (Seven days a week)
Winter: 9:00 AM 4:00 PM (Thurs. - Sunday)
Appointments welcome any time.
Clay Rates:
Sporting Clays 100 Clays $40.00
Sporting Clays 50 Clays $20.00
Five-Stand 25 Clays $10.00

For those looking to rough-it there is also primitive camping with pit toilets at the nearby OHV area southeast of the resort off of Copperbelt Dr. Link to Google map.

Top off gas in Yerington, Wellington or Topaz, there may even be gas in Smith Valley. Last time folks negotiated with those driving to bring extra which worked well. Bring a little extra if you can, the barter system will be in full effect.

Bring your own food/drink or arrange for someone to bring enough for you. Pooling the resources always seems to work or you can venture off for something at the resort bar, mini grocery or big stuff in Yerington or Topaz.

The resorts rules:
Dirt bikes and ATVs are not allowed to be ridden throughout the Resort property. (Store, bar, pool, beach, etc. are off limits.) Dirt bikes and ATVs may ONLY be ridden into or out of the Resort on the Main road. Please limit your trips in or out. Please travel slowly across the new pavement on Hudson Way. If possible, travel along side of the pavement on the dirt.
Do not rev engines and/or spin out. Be considerate. Dirt bikes and ATVs can only be ridden between 8:00 AM and 6:00 PM. If you are planning a ride after ATV hours, please trailer your dirt bike or ATV out to BLM (.25 mile). When traveling on the dirt side of Hudson Way, do not spin donuts etc. There is a $500.00 fine from Lyon County.

My rules:
No drinking and shooting.
Please do not load weapons until you come on line to shoot.
Use common sense.
Do not ride drunk in the dirt.

Come dirt bike and ATV riding, shoot sporting clays, shoot in the desert or lounge by the pool. In for something less strenuous, then just visit friends, tell lies and make others jealous because they could not attend.
diablo.gif

In:
Brad and Christy (Uberkul) in travel trailer
John and Kathy (CAJW) in camper
Steve and Cindy (Bluestreek) in cabin #1
Mike and Terri (Hycle) abode unknown?

Don and Sharon (Alaska buddy) in camper

Justin, Lacey and 2 kids (Alaska buddy spawn) in travel trailer

Thomas (Tombo from DRRiders forum) Maybe staying with Brad/Christy

Tom and Kristin in travel trailer

Maybe:
Doug and Gayle (Bugnatr)
Ray and Patti (FJRay)

Tyler

Out:

Roger and Debbie (Rogdeb)

Paul, Sandy and Mike (Brad's dad, mom and brother) was in cabin #2

John and Kathy (CAJW) in camper

Last edited by a moderator:
Great idea. I need to figure out how to get more nickles in the travel jar. I'm on the maybe list.

When I called yesterday there where two cabins open (#1 and #2) with a third possible. I didn't anticipate a ton of participation in this but we should still think about bunking up with buddies if possible. I think everyone I invited off-forum will be in campers or RV's. I'll lock in the two cabins and book a RV site near them today.

Cabins #1 and #2 reserved under my name and FODS June 9-12. Please reserve these in your name soon (next 7 days, deposit required) to lock in your cabin. Christy and I will be in RV site #58 across from the cabins. There is a big family reunion at this place that weekend as well so we competing with them for space a little.

Cabins #1 and #2 reserved under my name and FODS June 9-12. Please reserve these in your name soon (next 7 days, deposit required) to lock in your cabin. Christy and I will be in RV site #58 across from the cabins. There is a big family reunion at this place that weekend as well so we competing with them for space a little.
Hope you don't snore too loud, I booked RV space #59. :)

That's the same weekend as the Cal24 which I had hoped to attend this year in Tom's honor. I'll see what the schedule is and maybe I can swing a visit to y'all up there. B)

This looks cool and is way closer than FODS East. I wish I time and money for all of them. How's the dirt riding there?
High desert sand and sagebrush on thousands of acres of BLM with a few mines and a ghost town to visit.

DSCN3968-L.jpg

DSC_7558-L.jpg

DSCN0188-X2.jpg

20130615-P1000362-L.jpg

DSCN6732-L.jpg

Just a reminder for those thinking of renting a cabin. Please do so asap because my parents just rented cabin #2 so that leaves cabin #1 still available. There might be one other cabin available but I would reserve in the next day or so and figure out roomies and cost spit later.

A quick update for those on the fence. All the cabins have been booked and a few folks have moved from the maybe column to the going column (see top post). If you are coming now it will have to be in a RV or tent in an RV spot.

Some good and bad news as well. My eldest daughter is walking for her masters diploma in the bay area on Sunday so the Maynard clan will be leaving Saturday afternoon to attend.

3/28/16 update:

My extended family bagged so cabin #2 is open again(see top post). I'll leave this hear for a day or two then put it out to the DRRiders Forum.

Bummer, I'm out. Family event scheduling issue and wanting to remain married, acquiescence is the right call. Ya'll have fun.