West Coast Gathering (WCG) - June 15-18, 2023, Fort Bragg, CA

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The wife and I am looking into getting the time off work and making arrangements to try to make this run. We are in the Northwest corner of the US on the Puget Sound and 10 miles from the Canadian border. We are looking at probably taking two days of mostly freeway droning on Wednesday and Thursday to get to Fort Bragg and two more on Sunday and Monday to get home. I am curious if anybody else from this direction that would like to meet up along the way and ride down together. I am confident I could do the run in less time but, my wife isn't used to that kind of saddle time. In May of 2020 I did a 5 day trip called the Famous Taco Bell Run that covered Arlington WA to Sacramento CA in a day and Reno NV to Bellingham WA on the first and last days, but those runs were solo. We haven't booked accommodations yet but hope to do so soon. Is there anything a newbie to this kind of gathering should know? Any input is appreciated. My ride is a 2022 ES with heated RDL seats, Garmin GPS, highway pegs, Givi top box and I have heated jacket and gloves but none for the wife yet. This is my 3rd FJR. I got my first, an 08, in 2011 after years on an FJ1200 and then upgraded to a 2016 ES in May of last year, but it had an unfortunate meeting with a gate that left it in pieces. Insurance was very helpful in allowing me to get the 2022.

The wife and I am looking into getting the time off work and making arrangements to try to make this run. We are in the Northwest corner of the US on the Puget Sound and 10 miles from the Canadian border. We are looking at probably taking two days of mostly freeway droning on Wednesday and Thursday to get to Fort Bragg and two more on Sunday and Monday to get home. I am curious if anybody else from this direction that would like to meet up along the way and ride down together. I am confident I could do the run in less time but, my wife isn't used to that kind of saddle time. In May of 2020 I did a 5 day trip called the Famous Taco Bell Run that covered Arlington WA to Sacramento CA in a day and Reno NV to Bellingham WA on the first and last days, but those runs were solo. We haven't booked accommodations yet but hope to do so soon. Is there anything a newbie to this kind of gathering should know? Any input is appreciated. My ride is a 2022 ES with heated RDL seats, Garmin GPS, highway pegs, Givi top box and I have heated jacket and gloves but none for the wife yet. This is my 3rd FJR. I got my first, an 08, in 2011 after years on an FJ1200 and then upgraded to a 2016 ES in May of last year, but it had an unfortunate meeting with a gate that left it in pieces. Insurance was very helpful in allowing me to get the 2022.

Welcome, Eddy! Nothing really needed to know other than show up, meet some new friends, go for a ride or two, and enjoy life. This is a great group of people and I'm pretty sure there will be a few folks from the PNW area that will be making their way down. Now that the holidays are over, folks will be likely focusing on putting together their plans for June... it's only four months away!! Looking forward to meeting you and your wife!! :)

In! Look forward to meeting up with old friends, don’t have an fjr any longer so will keep bug company :)

It's been said before and I'll say it again, while the bike may have brought people together, it's the friendships that keep us together... don't care what you show up on or in... just show up! ;)

Welcome, Eddy! Nothing really needed to know other than show up, meet some new friends, go for a ride or two, and enjoy life. This is a great group of people and I'm pretty sure there will be a few folks from the PNW area that will be making their way down. Now that the holidays are over, folks will be likely focusing on putting together their plans for June... it's only four months away!! Looking forward to meeting you and your wife!! :)

Yes, welcome Eddy! We look forward to meeting the two of you.

Tyler thanks for the reminder that it is only four months away! This is kicking off our 3-4 week ride and I have only finished route planning through the Grand Canyon. Gonna hit the "Big Five" in Utah then destroy Colorado and then who knows?

Guest list so far - let me know if I'm missing anyone! :D

norcal rider
George/escapefjrtist
Richard/fairlaner +1
Doug/bugnatr +1
Diane/Mrs Highlander
Julie/fjrfarrier + The Horse
Fred/juniorfjr + Lindell
audiowize
Rich/NorCal FJR + Nikki
Jamming Jimmy
Mike/ekiM
Steve/bluestreek + Cindi
Rusty3
Neil San Diego
JP/PhatAir4Me +1
gfran+ Cindy
Carl/n2osx + Amy
Sam/Nightshine
Rog/rogdeb
03silverbullet
Archer
AdamK
Road_Runner
Don/dcarver
John/JREW
SacramentoMike
Gregory + Pocahontas
Jeff/FJRPittsburgh
Dean/Steel_Gin
morecowbell
EddieRascal +1
Gbjbany
Josh/Cav47 +1
El Toro Joe + Jackie
Rocnsanman
FYB/Intech (?)
Gary/vabikebreaker (?)
Joey/hppants (?)

Wow! Way more people than I expected to see signed up already. This'll be a great meet, guys. I don't think anybody will be too disappointed with the riding you'll find up that way.

@EddyRascal: It's by no means mandatory, but if you had a nice single malt in your saddlebag, nobody would mind. (And where's FarWestFastEddie? That's his backyard.)

@EddyRascal: It's by no means mandatory, but if you had a nice single malt in your saddlebag, nobody would mind. (And where's FarWestFastEddie? That's his backyard.)

I don't think there will be any room in the saddlebags. This will be the first time that the wife and I will be taking the FJR on a multi-day ride without a support vehicle so I will get one saddlebag for my clothes, she will get one saddlebag for her clothes and the rain/cold weather gear for the both of us will be in the trunk with a few items in the tank bag. That is the plan at the moment anyway. Also, I don't know or have ever heard of a FarWestFastEddie.

I don't think there will be any room in the saddlebags. This will be the first time that the wife and I will be taking the FJR on a multi-day ride without a support vehicle so I will get one saddlebag for my clothes, she will get one saddlebag for her clothes and the rain/cold weather gear for the both of us will be in the trunk with a few items in the tank bag. That is the plan at the moment anyway. Also, I don't know or have ever heard of a FarWestFastEddie.
That's okay... I'm sure there will be places once you get there to get a beverage of your choice. And FWFE lives up that way and has been known to frequent events in the area. I've reached out to him and hopefully you'll get to find out who he is... as with pretty much everyone here, he is quite a character and good guy! ;)