West Coast to the Rockies

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glas1/2ful

Reaction score
During our SS1K back in May, Happy Rider and I discussed this trip, and over the course of May June and July came up with this route

We started off from my house in Woodland (always wondered what 2 FJRs would look like in the garage)

DSCN1418.jpg

the route ran over some familiar ground so no photos until we made a brief stop in the Redwoods after lunch at the Subway in Garberville (little did I know that Subway was about to become a recurring theme of this trip (the first "S")

DSCN1419.jpg

Our first night was at a State Park near Brookings OR

DSCN1422.jpg

and the coast was overcast and drippy as well as familiar ground so few photos

DSCN1425.jpg

Our second night landed us at Lewis and Clark State Park in WA (yes, the mc boots and shorts are a stunning look aren't they?)

DSCN1427.jpg

Our route took us to the East and HR's childhood stomping grounds in Wenatchee, and except for a dip in some large river, it was just hot and largely uneventful as we made our way to the north. We weren't able to get pictures of the belly-dump truck that spewed its whole load of golf ball sized jagged lava rocks over the highway near Yakima, but it was a moment I was glad we both started with fully fresh tires.

After we climbed up and out of the heat and headed west on Highway 20, the temps lowered and the scenery and roads improved

DSCN1431.jpg

and we camped in North Cascades NP near Newhalem.

We crossed into Canada at Sumas (no troubles at all) and immediately hit bumper to bumper traffic as we went west toward Vancouver. Broke out of that traffic in time to get into drippy weather and more traffic most of the way through Vancouver. We had an invite and a place to land near Merrit, but decided to keep plowing forward.

The sea to sky highway

DSCN1437.jpg

and then past Whistler

DSCN1439.jpg

and on some pretty technical stretches (no pics - I was just hanging on by this point!) until we landed near Cache Creek and met my favorite other rider who was going into town for dinner and brought us back beer!

DSCN1450.jpg

and by this time, we were on Subway number 4 or 5, but even though I noticed the pattern, I hadn't documented it but swore I would start now

DSCN1568-1.jpg

Our original route had us going north to Prince George, but we woke up that morning to

DSCN1452.jpg

and the best intel we had was that it was smoky all the way to Prince George, so we re-routed to Jasper via Kamloops, and we were in smoke from then on

DSCN1467.jpg

all the way to Jasper

DSCN1471.jpg

DSCN1474.jpg

but we did get lunch in Jasper

DSCN1472-1.jpg

and unfortunately the smoke went almost all the way down the Icefield Parkway (hence the second "S" of the trip)

DSCN1484.jpg

Our 5th night was a provincial campground near Radium Hot Springs. We really should have taken a day off right then, as we had burned 570 miles getting from Cache Creek to Radium Hot Springs trying to get out of the smoke. (Note to self - if you stop near a hot spring, after a 500 miles day and nearly 2,200 since leaving home, use it!) Believe it or not, we had dinner at Subway but I was too tired to take a photo of that one, so here's a random Subway photo

DSCN1453-1.jpg

We proceeded south and then east, where finally we found decent food

DSCN1519.jpg

and then dropped into a bit of the western prairies of AB

DSCN1530.jpg

and some clearer skies as we headed back to the USA

DSCN1538.jpg

and into Glacier NP

DSCN1562.jpg

HR kept me waiting while he extolled the virtues of some FJR forum place to someone who had never heard of it

DSCN1561.jpg

The wildlife here is just plain stupid - it pains me to think people get this kind of experience and believe it to be "normal"

DSCN1557.jpg

DSCN1560.jpg

Road work on Logan Pass

DSCN1552.jpg

and south through Missoula to some road

DSCN1569.jpg

which pretty much is what its cracked up to be. We hit a several mile stretch of new chip seal most of the way down the ID side but most of the road

is pretty high quality. Because we had cut so much off the planned trip, we diverted a bit to the north to run a very nice stretch of State Route 3 in ID and spent night 6 at a state park near Plummer. Back south through Moscow for breakfast

DSCN1592.jpg

Happy in his natural habitat

DSCN1593.jpg

I was so enthralled with his ability to eat the same food day in and day out (I am not complaining - I will eat any food!) But we actually went past a Subway, and since I didn't think anyone would believe that, it is documented here (pay attention to the red umbrella thingy)

DSCN1599.jpg

DSCN1600.jpg

some random picture

DSCN1582.jpg

We continued south through Walla Walla and on to Pendleton and John Day (another note to self - don't trust Happy Rider to necessarily make good fueling decisions)

some other damn Subway, but HR is happy...

DSCN1574-1.jpg

and another one

DSCN1604.jpg

We spent night 8 in Burns OR

Our normal fancy-ass breakfast if we couldn't find a subway

DSCN1612.jpg

and our last fuel stop together

DSCN1613.jpg

as it made better sense for him to go straight south through Winnemucca but I had just traveled that road last month and wanted no part of highway 80 work on the CA side. So I went southwest

where one can make up some time

DSCN1616.jpg

but bad habits are hard to break, so in Lakeview I stopped for breakfast at... you guessed it

DSCN1618.jpg

and home through 105 degree heat on Interstate 5... yeah

It was truly a pleasure riding with HR - Happy Birthday you young punk (gift certificate to McDonalds in the mail)

DSCN1458.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great report, Dan. I suspect Jasper is ALWAYS smoke-bound, since it looked exactly like that about five years ago when I was there. Beautiful when you can see it, though. Funny about the Subways--I get into a groove on the road too, since it's always good to know exactly what to expect. For me it's breakfast at McD's (McMuffin, good coffee now, and fresh ice for the Camelbak) and lunch is a sandwich at a grocery store deli counter. You can customize those however you want them and they offer a good variety. On my CFR trip last year Safeway offered a free sandwich after you bought 10, and I almost made it to the second freebie! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Great report, Dan. I suspect Jasper is ALWAYS smoke-bound, since it looked exactly like that about five years ago when I was there. Beautiful when you can see it, though. Funny about the Subways--I get into a groove on the road too, since it's always good to know exactly what to expect. For me it's breakfast at McD's (McMuffin, good coffee now, and fresh ice for the Camelbak) and lunch is a sandwich at a grocery store deli counter. You can customize those however you want them and they offer a good variety. On my CFR trip last year Safeway offered a free sandwich after you bought 10, and I almost made it to the second freebie! :D
thanks Mike - I admit the predictability was good, and the fact that one can eat all day for $10...but still :unsure:

I should be completely truthful - we also ate at 2 McDonalds, I KFC and one local place called "Spiffys"

15 packages of instant oatmeal and the occasional Top Ramen... I'm just living up to my promise to Happy that I was going to give him shit for this :D

Dan,

Excellent report! I keep reading about members "forays" into AK and Canada and I've about had it. Next year my wife and I are going. Thanks for the map, we'll no doubt incorporate some of your route. Not sure about the Subways though! But I'd bet we'll hit quite a few.

Dan,Excellent report! I keep reading about members "forays" into AK and Canada and I've about had it. Next year my wife and I are going. Thanks for the map, we'll no doubt incorporate some of your route. Not sure about the Subways though! But I'd bet we'll hit quite a few.
ohhh - AK..... sounds good to me!! I could be ready by Monday if you want company!

Great report.......

But I'm pissed, you didn't give us a heads up on Happy Rider's love of Subway!! I woulda both their stock had I known :rolleyes: :yahoo:

Thanks for taking the time to post the report Dan. It was a great ride and would have been perfect if not for the smoke. Now we have a reason to head back. Next time I will check on fire reports as well as weather reports prior to my trips. I love Subway, what else can I say. :yahoo: Its cheap and good too. I should have snapped a photo of me stopping at the Subway in Winnemucca after we headed our separate ways to go home. I always like to end my trips with a ride over Sonora Pass. Traffic was light and made for a spirited home stretch. :rolleyes: