western gathering

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm commencing to begin to start to get ready to think about possibly helping / leading getting something organized as discussed in this thread. I see as proposed candidates the central California coast (Paso Robles, San Luis Obispo, Atascadero), and northern California coast (Fontana). Also, Nevada and, uh, Australia
ermm.gif
. There's also some great riding along the coast in Marin and Sonoma counties, not to mention the Wine Country, but they are probably more expensive for lodging. I'll know more in a few days if I can step up and pitch in. Probably would need to get a bike....
unsure.png

I'm commencing to begin to start to get ready to think about possibly helping / leading getting something organized as discussed in this thread. I see as proposed candidates the central California coast (Paso Robles, San Luis Obispo, Atascadero), and northern California coast (Fontana). Also, Nevada and, uh, Australia
ermm.gif
. There's also some great riding along the coast in Marin and Sonoma counties, not to mention the Wine Country, but they are probably more expensive for lodging. I'll know more in a few days if I can step up and pitch in. Probably would need to get a bike....
unsure.png
WooHoo! I suggest San Luis Obispo, PeachTree hotel. Lots of room down below by the creek, far from the street, we could block the row and not disturb too many other guests. Great riding South, North, East and West, Mountains to Plains to Beach all within 100 miles

Rock On folks. There are ways to make it really simple so shout out if you need some help.

Great to see JB is in the house.

Last edited by a moderator:
That area up by Quincy is a great idea. So are some of the others, for that matter. I'll be watching closely. If we can get Burleigh to organize it, all the better! :D

But what's this crap about needing a motorcycle?

I love the area, but there are not a lot of hotel choices in Quincy. I can check out the area in a few weeks and report back.

Is the Oroville-Quincy highway (Buck's Lake rd) open yet? There are decent size hotels in Oroville.

I see we are no further with a decision here than when this thread started in December. Where's Tyler?

If I may suggest, we can start by putting a stake in the ground for dates: I propose Thursday - Sunday, May 16-19, for the 2019 Western FJR Owners' Gathering ("West-FOG"). The previous weekend is Mother's Day, and the following weekend is Memorial Day. Based on the locations proposed above, I will start calling motels to check prices, availability, and ability to reserve a discounted block.

Personally I like the recent suggestion of Oroville. It's a good-sized town, centrally located in the state and with access to Sierra foothills riding. Thinking about people coming from out of state, Oroville would be super easy to get to from the north and east, with access to great rides. (Although I wonder if lodging might be impacted by refugees from the Paradise Camp Fire just to its north?) In any event, I will explore other locations mentioned in this thread as well.

It sounds like ~30 - 40 people is the number that I should be talking to the motels about(?) Once we nail down a motel, then we can explore feasibility of a joint sit-down meal Saturday evening, and then follow up with exploring t-shirts and swag as appropriate. But I like the suggestions to 'keep it simple.'

I welcome comments and further suggestions.... Thanks!

Hey James, good to hear from you again.

I could definitely do a West-FOG on the weekend you selected. The area offers great riding no matter which direction you head, and the timing - just before the summer vacation crowd kicks in, works well for me.

Brodie

😀

Oroville is a shithole run down community IMHO.

Chico, Red Bluff or Redding may have a better quality of selection regarding hotels / restaurants. Plenty of good riding both to the ocean and the Sierras.

Where was GOTC a few years back? That was a nice hotel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dates work here. When picking hotels, I look for decent food within walking distance cause I don't like to suit up to go back out. Look at the places along Hilltop in Redding as an example. I'm sure other areas have similar access. I use Custom ink for shirts . They make it very easy.

Oroville is a shithole run down community IMHO.
Chico, Red Bluff or Redding may have a better quality of selection regarding hotels / restaurants. Plenty of good riding both to the ocean and the Sierras.

Where was GOTC a few years back? That was a nice hotel.
Noted regarding Oroville and alternate locations. Thanks. (Chico's great for sure, but more likely to be impacted by evacuees from Paradise just up the Skyway.)

But the central coast's not off the list, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.