western gathering

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Carver is the central coast guru and I think he did a little research. Pick a spot and we will be there. As long as there are good people and good roads it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oroville is a shithole run down community IMHO.
Chico, Red Bluff or Redding may have a better quality of selection regarding hotels / restaurants. Plenty of good riding both to the ocean and the Sierras.

Where was GOTC a few years back? That was a nice hotel.
Here’s the rundown according to my photo collection;

2006 Avila Beach , TWN had a lunch gathering.

2007 Yosemite , by Highlander.

2008 Moro Bay, by Highlander.

2009 everyone went to CFR on Vancouver island.

2010 everyone went to WFR in Nakusp.

2011 Eureka, by Fairlainer.

2012 Big Sur, by Puppy Chow where Norcal met SoCal.

2013 Goleta, by Fairlainer.

2014 Sonoma, by Fairlainer.

2015 Santa Cruz, by Tyler.

2016 Redding, by Tyler.

2017, no GOTC.

2018 , no GOTC but Tyler modified it to YFO.

2019, ball in in JB’s court, site to be determined.

I agree. Oroville is a shit hole.

Fortuna, Quincy or Paso Robles all have decent hotels and good riding roads.

Just south of Eureka is Fortuna, a great spot at the kenmar offramp and the west side of the 101.3-4 hotels with the eel river brewery right next store. Easy access to highway 299,36,101,1,3, and avenue of the giants (redwoods).East side of the 101 is Starbucks and fast food and groceries.Plus the inland temperatures at that time will be mild.

Just south of Eureka is Fortuna, a great spot at the kenmar offramp and the west side of the 101.3-4 hotels with the eel river brewery right next store. Easy access to highway 299,36,101,1,3, and avenue of the giants (redwoods).East side of the 101 is Starbucks and fast food and groceries.Plus the inland temperatures at that time will be mild.
BMW riders know all the Starbucks
lol.gif

BMW riders know all the Starbucks :lol2:
Wasn't no stinking Starbucks in Beatty.

Be aware, Sport-touring.net used to hold their West Coast Regional in Fortuna the week end before Memorial Day week end and it was rainy, cold, and foggy 2/3rds of the time. The last time I attended I got struck in a snow storm on Highway 36 and it got pretty scary after I almost slid into oncoming traffic.

Oroville is a shithole run down community IMHO.

Chico, Red Bluff or Redding may have a better quality of selection regarding hotels / restaurants. Plenty of good riding both to the ocean and the Sierras.

Where was GOTC a few years back? That was a nice hotel.
Here’s the rundown according to my photo collection;

2006 Avila Beach , TWN had a lunch gathering.

2007 Yosemite , by Highlander.

2008 Moro Bay, by Highlander.

2009 everyone went to CFR on Vancouver island.

2010 everyone went to WFR in Nakusp.

2011 Eureka, by Fairlainer.

2012 Big Sur, by Puppy Chow where Norcal met SoCal.

2013 Goleta, by Fairlainer.

2014 Sonoma, by Fairlainer.

2015 Santa Cruz, by Tyler.

2016 Redding, by Tyler.

2017, no GOTC.

2018 , no GOTC but Tyler modified it to YFO.

2019, ball in in JB’s court, site to be determined.
Hotel in 2016 was the Fairfield Inn & Suites Redding,

The first YFO was in 2017 not last year. ;)

2019 is also YFO in the Eastern Sierras (Bridgeport).

June 2009 was CFR in Nakusp

June 2010 was WFO 9 in Eureka

Sept 2010 was WFR in Parksville on Vancouver Island

2011 had both GOTC in Mill Valley and Wheaties Rolling Cluster Feck

(It was on the Cluster Feck that someones AE broke down and he finished the Feck on the wee strom hed previously taken to Alaska. Same event in which a certain Tom from 2 states was photographed smooching an angry Michael.)

Just sayin

Okay, here's where we stand. I am focusing on the central coast, specifically Paso Robles, Atascadero, and San Luis Obispo (SLO). My evaluation criteria include price, quality (ratings), walking access to coffee / food / alcohol, adequate parking, and adequate number of rooms.

It seems May on the California coast is "season" for tourists, so although someone above recommended a room for $80 to $100, that's just not available that meets the above criteria. What I'm finding (including in Fortuna and Eureka) is north of $160 and into the $200s.

Don recommended the Peach Tree Inn in SLO. Even that is showing $136 from the discount sites. My biggest beef with the PTI is that it appears to be remote: from Google satellite I don't see any amenities nearby within walking distance; you would have to get on the bike or get an Uber.

I have an offer on the table from a motel in Paso Robles that appears to meet all the above criteria well. It's the Best Western Black Oak, which was recommended above. It is located within walking distance to a lot of great venues. Their offer is:

Thursday night: $125.09

Friday - Saturday nights: $188.99

Sunday night (for anyone who stays till Monday): $125.09

Question: Is that viable, something people would be interested in, or do I drop the quality criteria down to Motel 6 standards (which will be ~$100, and limited walking access to food)?

Hans

Those prices would make my travel jar squeal but if I bring a loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter it's perhaps doable. Since the wine boys took over the area they think their shit doesn't stink but if you want to play you gotta pay. That's about what they told me last month when I checked it out. The location looks good with lots of stuff within walking/stumbling distance. Make sure there is a Starbucks for Phil and Charlene.
rolleyes.gif

Sounds great. Will spend more than that on getting there and home. Worth trip.

JB, did you happen to check with the Paso Robles Inn?.

It’s right in downtown Paso, and virtually across the street from wine tasting, great food, shopping (if you are into that...), etc.

The Black Oak looks to be a nice place, but its not walking distance to the downtown area. But, maybe the PRI wants too much for their rooms....

Just thinking out loud......

Brian the biknflyfisher

There is a Motel 6 almost next door to the Black Oak. It's got clean, simple rooms and a pool. Black Oak for those who want to stay there, Motel 6 for the more budget mined.

JB, did you happen to check with the Paso Robles Inn?. It’s right in downtown Paso, and virtually across the street from wine tasting, great food, shopping (if you are into that...), etc. The Black Oak looks to be a nice place, but its not walking distance to the downtown area. But, maybe the PRI wants too much for their rooms.... Just thinking out loud...... Brian the biknflyfisher
>$300 / night!

There is a Motel 6 almost next door to the Black Oak. It's got clean, simple rooms and a pool. Black Oak for those who want to stay there, Motel 6 for the more budget mined.

Great idea!--to post both. About a 10-min. walk apart from each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.