WFO SS1K BBG UPDATE!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeroux

Reaction score
UPDATE 7-16-2007

These IBA Rides are now closed for applications.

Good Folks.

Heres the list of Bad Mamma Jamma's who are signed up so far. FYI, if you want to ride one of these, I need your application PM by SUNDAY NIGHT.

BBG

Hal Risser ( Kaitsdad )

Doug Crosby ( Rogue )

John Austin ( RenoJohn )

Adam Quigley ( galactus )

Richard Denis ( FJR-Richie )

SS1K

Jason Bledsoe ( FJR Pig ) Virgin

Justin Williamson ( FJR&R ) Virgin

Brad Warwick ( Beerme )

James Dille ( James ) Virgin

Burk Forsythe ( Badcat )

John Beck ( Beemer guy )

You guys can expect a Rally Pack around next Monday. I'll post it here as a new topic so you're sure to get it.

Any fence sitters need to get off your duff and sign up. Ya dig? Sho nuff.

This is really going to be an awesome gig folks. That 3.2 beer is going to taste SOOOOOO good.

GZ

Last edited by a moderator:
AWESOME!!!

Thanks for your efforts on the organization of all this, George.

Pigster (Virgin bacon)

Thanks, Senor Beeroux!!

Looking forward to it.

I will have Imodium in my tankbag, a clean Stitch, and Depends as backup.

rideriderideputingasrideriderideputingasriderideride......etc., etc., etc. (am I being redundant?)

Thanks, Senor Beeroux!!
Looking forward to it.

rideriderideputingaspeerideriderideputingaspeeriderideride......etc., etc., etc. (am I being redundant?)
Fixed that for ya, Hal.

This SS1K certificate will look nice next to the Arizona SS1K from April of this year.

Thanks GZ for going to all the trouble. This is going to be HUGE! :yahoo:

"This is really going to be an awesome gig folks. That 3.2 beer is going to taste SOOOOOO good."

If you mix two 3.2 beers together do you get a 6.4 beer?????? :dribble:

Thanks, Senor Beeroux!!
Looking forward to it.

rideriderideputingaspeerideriderideputingaspeeriderideride......etc., etc., etc. (am I being redundant?)
Fixed that for ya, Hal.

cripes. I knew I was forgetting a step.

now I know what that 'full' feeling is when I do these rides...

(there is a side benefit to having a hi-viz yellow stitch. :blink: )

This SS1K certificate will look nice next to the Arizona SS1K from April of this year.
Thanks GZ for going to all the trouble. This is going to be HUGE! :yahoo:

"This is really going to be an awesome gig folks. That 3.2 beer is going to taste SOOOOOO good."

If you mix two 3.2 beers together do you get a 6.4 beer?????? :dribble:
Only if you boil them down to the volume of 1 beer. You get to drink it :) .

James

Any of you guys tried those "Rockstar" energy drinks? I've been curious to try one and my plan is to crack one about the halfway point on the SS1K. I'm figuring on max effect the first time I have one and I can' think of a better occasion. Bad idea or will I surely be wired for the final 500 miles?

Any of you guys tried those "Rockstar" energy drinks? I've been curious to try one and my plan is to crack one about the halfway point on the SS1K. I'm figuring on max effect the first time I have one and I can' think of a better occasion. Bad idea or will I surely be wired for the final 500 miles?

IMO bad idea! Well slept before hand and well hydrated and you should have no problem. You should be able to do a SS1K in under 20 hours if you keep any kind of decent speed and have no problems. If you need stimulant then I don't think you should do it.

Just my 2 cents.

IMO bad idea! Well slept before hand and well hydrated and you should have no problem. You should be able to do a SS1K in under 20 hours if you keep any kind of decent speed and have no problems. If you need stimulant then I don't think you should do it.

Just my 2 cents.
Agree with you completely on the rest and hydration, but if I did get tired, is there a negative to those things the first couple times you have one? I'm assuming a bit of a crash, no pun intended, afterwards at some point, but hopefully after the ride is done.

Agree with you completely on the rest and hydration, but if I did get tired, is there a negative to those things the first couple times you have one? I'm assuming a bit of a crash, no pun intended, afterwards at some point, but hopefully after the ride is done.
A big ride is the wrong time to try something new. New boots, new helmet, new food or new engery drink. It might not do what you expect or hope and no one else can tell you that. Rogue is right a 1,000 mile day shouldn't need any "stimulation". If you get sleepy, I usually do in the mid afternoon, stop and take a nap. You'll have plenty of time to spare for 20 or even a 30 minute nap. I bet you'll be so cranked just doing the ride you won't need anything to stay awake B)

all think most of the energy drinks have the same ingedients:

ginsing

taurine

caffine

ginko bilboa

guarna

for some people these energy drinks can spike blood pressure.

also caffine is a diuretic, i would suspect some of the other ingredients are also, so they could cause dehydration

FWIW -

A few jumping jacks in the wee hours of the morning can do wonders for alertness - push ups, or as in last year's SPANK rally, dance the funky chicken by the side of the road at 2:00 AM.

And a SS1K shouldn't be so long that you would need to rely on stimulants (for that matter, NO RIDE is so long that you need stimulants)

At most, a cup of coffee or a diet coke somewhere along the way - but remember, caffeine is a diuretic - so it has it's down side. If you drink it, ensure that you have enough water to chase it with.

Important to me on a ride - managing blood sugar levels - small snacks along the way - bananas, 1/4 sized PBJ sandwiches, PB Crackers - maybe a piece of hard candy. Try to balance carbs with proteins and fats. This reduces the sugar crash from the carbs.

Eat BEFORE you are hungry, and most important -

DRINK YOUR WATER. STAY HYDRATED !!

I find that I can function quite well for a long time doing this. But - that's just my personal experience.

If you want to use an energy drink AFTER the ride, that's cool - but personally, I just want a good meal, a hot shower, and a fluffy pillow.

You definitely want to stave off the caffeine until you really need it.

Most folks get hungry or sleepy in the afternoon and sometimes they crave something sweet. It's actually the body craving protein, so like Kaitsdad recommends, steady inputs of good food throughout the day keep tiredness away and blood sugar on an even keel.

Last year we had a guy faint just seconds after the ride was over. He hadn't eaten or drank hardly anything all day. Thats what happens.

So skip the beer thursday night, be well hydrated the day before and STAY that way, then eat good stuff all day, nibbling like a squirrel, and drink PLENTY of water. It's going to be hot along most of this ride, you'll be needing lots of water.

GZ

You definitely want to stave off the caffeine until you really need it.
Most folks get hungry or sleepy in the afternoon and sometimes they crave something sweet. It's actually the body craving protein, so like Kaitsdad recommends, steady inputs of good food throughout the day keep tiredness away and blood sugar on an even keel.

Last year we had a guy faint just seconds after the ride was over. He hadn't eaten or drank hardly anything all day. Thats what happens.

So skip the beer thursday night, be well hydrated the day before and STAY that way, then eat good stuff all day, nibbling like a squirrel, and drink PLENTY of water. It's going to be hot along most of this ride, you'll be needing lots of water.

GZ
All good points - that's why I'm coming in Wednesday night. Thursday is a local poke around and prep day. As said earlier, never tried any of these energy drinks and didn't stop to consider that they've got to have a ton of caffiene. That's a big no-no. Looks like it is H20 all the way.