What Camera do you own?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A year ago, when I purchased a 70-200mm Canon IS L USM lens, the average street price was way over $2k :eek: I won't even mention what the 400mm lens went for.
You know, I have compared a lot of images between the 70-200mm L (non IS) and the EF 70-300 IS USM. It is damn hard to notice any difference when both lenses at 150mm. Of course, that puts the 70-200 closer to end of it's focal length, but hell, it's an L series lense.

They are very similar in price tag, aroud 570 each. I opted for the 70-300 because with a telephoto I wanted IS and the extra 100 mm of focal length. All and all, I'm very very very happy with the image quality of the 70-300 IS, farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr superior to the old 75-300.

[hijack]

It is damn hard to notice any difference when both lenses at 150mm.
'Tis true. But - my wife and I sell pictures and occasionally enter competitions. We have actually earned some cash from both endeavors. There is a difference between casual pictures and planned photographs. The L is overkill except for a narrow group that can either afford or use the little bit higher performance of the L over the standard lens.

[/hijack]

On topic:

JohnT wrote:

Michelle is unable to take pictures...the G5 takes a little too long to focus and we get blurry PICs...So, what camera do you use while your bike is in motion?

My first post in this thread was relevant to the opening question. Will that save my hijack? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Off bike:

I have Nikon gear now, used to have (and still have a slew of older Minolta Maxxum 35mm stuff, couldn't afford Nikon back then). All medium format stuff was Mamiya for the same reason(s), couldn't afford Blads.

However, that being said, I have won a photo competition with a photo taken on a 1 gen 35mm Olympus Stylus, and you can take some very nice pics with most of the better point and shoots these days if you know how to use them.

Nearly all of my point and shooters these days are Cannons. I'm currently looking for another one since I broke the lcd screen on my last Cannon elph.

I shy away from Sony only because their memory sticks are proprietary and cost more than they should. Older sony's suffered from battery life issues too.

I have used multiple Cannon point and shoots on the bike with good results, but shutter lag is an issue if you really care about it alot.

My Pillion can't take good photos off the bike no matter what the gear, so I can't comment on what would be good for her. :D

When I'm busy fiddling with my "L" series 16-35 and 24-105, I get a lot of hotties come over to me and ask if I do nudes. But I always say, "Nah...BTDT...I kinda prefer motorcycles or landscapes. But thanks for asking...." :rolleyes: Priceless.
Stef
We need to help you work on your script. Just some minor changes. I think you should say something like, "Hell yeah."

I mean, we've got a friggin' whole section for photos and crap, Stef. Sheesh.

The camera used by me and Sherri is the Sony DSC-H1. It's old technology now...but the action setting and movement correction software is pretty good.

Here a couple samples of shots while moving at least 65

aDSC00537.jpg

DSC00566.jpg

DSC00538.jpg

Here are some stationary shots

DSC08861.jpg

DSC08866.jpg

Of bike, Canon EOS-1D Mark II, more lenses than I care to count. I carry it in the tank bag with medium Tamron zoom. I don't typically pack the big L glass.
The EOS-1D is a monster and I wouldn't recommend it unless you're a geek. It's big, heavy, weather sealed, and you can pound nails with it. It starts up instantly and has no discernible shutter lag. I use a big fast write card, at least 2 gig and often 4 gig, and I shoot RAW files.

In my pocket is a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX07. Great little pocket camera.

Off bike, Canon EOS-1D Mark II, more lenses than I care to count. I carry it in the tank bag with medium Tamron zoom. I don't typically pack the big L glass.

The EOS-1D is a monster and I wouldn't recommend it unless you're a geek. It's big, heavy, weather sealed, and you can pound nails with it. It starts up instantly and has no discernible shutter lag. I use a big fast write card, at least 2 gig and often 4 gig, and I shoot RAW files.

In my pocket is a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX07. Great little pocket camera.
Thanks for telling us that.

Thanks for telling us that. :p
no worries

now orries