What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Four-day motorcycle overhaul: new GT6 tires, installed 2500 lb 12v winch, serviced pivot, ceramic-coated swingarm, painted center stand (wife approved), maintenance on brakes/clutch, ABS unit activation, and a spirited ride to Tacoma for GP cartridges and Penske service at KFG Motorsports. Ready for the road!
Why a winch and where the heck did you mount it?

tracks days gone.jpg

Got new cartridges installed by a good man local, he even scraped off the GP stickers. Only then I realized maybe not so street legal, but ignorance is my alibi for Mr. LEO, as usual.

The problem is that I don't have the heart to tell the bike we've both aged out of possible track days. So, the next best thing is The Box in Oregon. The cartridges settings of preload, compression, and rebound are zero'd out, or all the way counter-clockwise. And it feels like it's on rails!

I'll make incremental adjustments each ride cuz user guide says it's the only way. I weigh a buck forty, and add 40 pounds to travel, but I don't expect must differences to be made. How can it get better? Thanks for reading. 🏍️

View attachment 5895

Got new cartridges installed by a good man local, he even scraped off the GP stickers. Only then I realized maybe not so street legal, but ignorance is my alibi for Mr. LEO, as usual.

The problem is that I don't have the heart to tell the bike we've both aged out of possible track days. So, the next best thing is The Box in Oregon. The cartridges settings of preload, compression, and rebound are zero'd out, or all the way counter-clockwise. And it feels like it's on rails!

I'll make incremental adjustments each ride cuz user guide says it's the only way. I weigh a buck forty, and add 40 pounds to travel, but I don't expect must differences to be made. How can it get better? Thanks for reading. 🏍️
Meanwhile my friend has 25,000 miles without an inspection

At this point we're just seeing how far it'll go.

Apparently not riding like a street Rossi goes a long way with the cops lol

I replaced the Energizer CR1632 batteries in my 2013 FOBO TPMS. April will be 3 yrs plus however long they were in there before I bought the bike. I noticed the other day when I enabled the phone app it initially said the front was a little low (indicating yellow) but later went back to green. I figure US$6.32 per battery per 3 yrs is a cost I can live with.

I replaced the Energizer CR1632 batteries in my 2013 FOBO TPMS. April will be 3 yrs plus however long they were in there before I bought the bike. I noticed the other day when I enabled the phone app it initially said the front was a little low (indicating yellow) but later went back to green. I figure US$6.32 per battery per 3 yrs is a cost I can live with.
Not bad, but you paid too much for the batteries - local purchase, I expect. Name brand on eBay or Amazon for a couple of bucks each buying two - much less if you want a bunch. Still, $4.20 per year doesn't really figure into the cost of motorcycle ownership...

Not bad, but you paid too much for the batteries - local purchase, I expect. Name brand on eBay or Amazon for a couple of bucks each buying two - much less if you want a bunch. Still, $4.20 per year doesn't really figure into the cost of motorcycle ownership...
Call me old fashioned but when I want to purchase something for a job to be done, I want it in my hand now. Not later, not tomorrow, and not the day after. When I have it in mind to do this I want to do it. Right. Frikken. Now. Why? Mostly b/c ordering services are now wrong about 25% of the time. Calling, emailing, returning and waiting for more is becoming a PITA. Then toss in shipping $. I'm not saving anything by ordering and waiting. Then there's the ever-present, "we can't find your house." I actually have to sometimes give DHL and FedEx gps coordinates to deliver something. Mine's a screwy address location. Even the state DOT screwed it up when they erected new signs 2 yrs ago.

I installed the 16+ slipper clutch into my 06. Not much of a difference from my original clutch. Pull is a little bit less, but not significant. A few tid-bits that I learned. Two Wheeled Obsession has great videos; no doubt. 👍 First thing is, the 06 doesn't have the wire retainer holding the first plate. Luckily, I purchased one. Second, I used an electric impact to remove the nut. Bike didn't move forward at all. (Had it in 5th gear and held the brake down with my free hand) Then loaded all the friction and clutch plates that would fit before the Pressure Plate goes on, held the brake with my left foot, and torqued the nut. I didn't drain the oil, just left the bike on the side stand. Beautiful bike to work on, everything is machined to perfection. I measured the standard clutch plates at 2.0 mm. (I'm going to purchase a few 2.6 mm for fine tuning) FYI my original clutch worked perfect, the plates where about -.002 thinner. Was it worth it? :unsure: I spent north of $400 getting here. I went for a 65 mile test spin yesterday. I made it home... my guess is, time will tell. Easy job; but kind of unfulfilling. 🤷‍♂️ 🥳

Pete-o

Brought a 2013 Honda CB1300 at BaT today. Have fond memories of riding the original superbike - Honda CB750's in the '70's. Hope this bike does not disappoint. (Now a 750-size bike is considered a good bike for the novice rider. How times change!)

Turning 83 this year and hope this new bike will be a satisfactory replacement for my FJR's for their weight seems to grow every year.
Any insights to this bike will be gratefully appreciated.