What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gave up on the RS3 they were not supple enough and chip seal tore them up in 5500 miles.  I like the PR4 better than the RS3 - they are more supple and tire life is better.  Easier to install too.

I also was not disappointed with the Pirelli Angel GT spec A's which are holding up well despite riding them from Lafayette to Spokane Washington.   They seem to do well enough in the turns too.

I suspect the Road 5's are very good but man they are pricey.  I can get a set of Angel GT for about $300 US and expect to get 6-7 k miles.  Road 5's are about $400 US so figure I'd have to get about 8k miles to make the Road 5 a better deal mileage wise.  I don't see that at happening!  :D

I also was not disappointed with the Pirelli Angel GT spec A's which are holding up well despite riding them from Lafayette to Spokane Washington.
Different roads, different riding styles different circumstances. I loved the Angel GT, A spec tires when I first put them on.  After about 3,000 miles, I was hating the front tire - only tire that ever caused head shake for me on my '07. 

Although a bitch to mount,  I found the RS3 seemed to be pretty compliant and moderate in terms of lifetime - no chipseal roads.  Front wears much more evenly than Michelin PR 2 or 3 and I thought handling was decent wet or dry.   Haven't tried the PR4.

Different roads, different riding styles different circumstances. I loved the Angel GT, A spec tires when I first put them on.  After about 3,000 miles, I was hating the front tire - only tire that ever caused head shake for me on my '07. 

Although a bitch to mount,  I found the RS3 seemed to be pretty compliant and moderate in terms of lifetime - no chipseal roads.  Front wears much more evenly than Michelin PR 2 or 3 and I thought handling was decent wet or dry.   Haven't tried the PR4.
Good feedback.  Thanks!

I might have gotten a bad Angel, bought shortly after the GT A spec. came out.  Never went back to try again.  They weren't cheap. 

Started to unassemble the swing arm to inspect and grease.
Had a look at the swingarm on the 07 after 100,000 miles or so.  Absolutely no issues, the area is well sealed against the elements. Shouldn't have any problems unless there was an initial assembly error or you like to use a pressure washer where you shouldn't. 

Rode it to work today.

Riding it to fun Monday.

JSNS!
92354357_10158198482649628_8982674600638808064_o.jpg

91587009_10158198484589628_5638450774338961408_o.jpg

92157606_10158198487284628_162603437442203648_o.jpg

And at the end of the day.

92503651_10158198487129628_2165245322043850752_o.jpg

Nice lap around the tulip fields and lunch in La Conner. I've had lunch on that deck many times although I prefer the blue burger and fried oysters at the Conway Tavern. Thanks for the trip. We are doing an essential ride Thursday. :punk:

Had a look at the swingarm on the 07 after 100,000 miles or so.  Absolutely no issues, the area is well sealed against the elements. Shouldn't have any problems unless there was an initial assembly error or you like to use a pressure washer where you shouldn't. 
Ross, one of the bearings was not playing well (one of the center ones) so, cleaned and grease. There is not a lot of ware.  Now I have to remember how it all goes back together.

Realised I have to get the v-strom hand guards on, instead of sitting in the box.  Left the warmer gloves in the apartment this morning at 6:30.  The 40 minute commute in 33 degrees @82mph was too much for the handwarmers on high and my regular weight gloves.  But truthfully, nothing went numb and it was a beautiful commute, with the regular traffic reduced to 40% of normal flow.  

Went out for my first ride on the '17 in the Spokane area today. Went south into the rolling hills and minor canyons in the Palouse. My lovely wife joined me. No photo just 4 hours of fun.

Lot's of bicyclist out today along Valley Chapel Road - more than normal.

The idea for the ride was to see some earth impacted by the great Missoula floods. Did that but on the featured cataract (dry waterfall) was on private property.

For images check this out. Image 1, Image 2.

It was a nice day to be on the FJR.

Lock-down, only allowed journeys for essential shopping and medical needs. 

Daughter has banned me from shopping -"I don't want you to catch it and then I have to clear out your house". She takes after her mother, I daren't go against her wishes; the bike can't go out.

So, started the bike, left the engine running while I pumped the tyres up a little harder than usual. While I was at it, I started the car and pumped its tyres up a little harder than usual. Backed the car out, turned it round in the drive a couple of times, drove it back into the garage (hopefully on a different bit of the tyre on the floor - makes me feel that I am preventing flat-spotting). 

By this time the car's temperature gauge (line of LEDs) showed it was up to normal temperature, so I turned it off. 

Returned to the bike, engine still running, paddled it back out of the garage, rode it forward, repeated a couple of times. By this time the cooling fans were on, so back into the garage, put it on its centre-stand, and turned it off. 

That's it for another few weeks.  

Spent a good afternoon in the garage:

1. Old oil out, new Yamalube 15w-50 synthetic in.

2. Old oil filter off, new oil filter on.

3. Old shaft drive pumpkin oil out, new oil in.

4. Removed front and rear wheels for mounting new Michelin PR4 GT tires (well the dealer will mount the tires...).

Fun!

Brian the biknflyfisher