What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Starting a FJR only dealership Scoot?
+1.  The only thing missing is a banner with a name such as Scooter's Used FJR dealership. 

Here fixed my own post.

x97eBRs.jpg

Went on a nice pre-Fathers Day ride yesterday with my son. We went from the greater Fresno area over Carson Pass for lunch in Markleeville, then came back over the Sierras on Highway 4 over Ebbetts Pass.

Great day on the scooters, and another 530 miles logged on the feejer.

Biknflyfisher

Went for a 300 mi ride yesterday. From Seattle to Tipsoo Lake (Mt Rainier), onto Yakima, then through Yakima Canyon to Ellensburg. Finally I-90 all the way back to Seattle. Great ride with lots of variety and perfect weather. I got to play in the snow and toast in the hot canyon with just an hour in between. Amazing

Yesterday i took off the front wheel and changed the tire. Only 5k miles on the tire which is the lowest I have ever gotten out of a front. It was a bridegstone battle ax 022. Changed it myself (getting better each time) to a dunlop roadsmart sportmax 2. Took me about 5 times as much time as it should but that is ok as I am getting better with each tire change. I  put the tire on and was almost finished when i realised I had not balanced it, so I went and had lunch then came back removed the tire and balanced it.   My fjr has had this terrible headshake if you take your hands of the bars under 50mph, even after one tire change by the dealer. After I was done I went for a test ride and took my hands off the bars and she is smooth now, no more shake 😁👍.

I attempted to raise the idle to where Ivan suggests with his ECU programming. I got to the end of the adjustment and might just be around 1100 RPM. Guess that will do. Should there be more adjustment available? 

I attempted to raise the idle to where Ivan suggests with his ECU programming. I got to the end of the adjustment and might just be around 1100 RPM. Guess that will do. Should there be more adjustment available? 
Some say so, but I'm at what feels like the very end of my adjustment and am just barely at 1100 RPM. Glad it's not just me!

Some say so, but I'm at what feels like the very end of my adjustment and am just barely at 1100 RPM. Glad it's not just me!
To some extent, the adjustability of the idle is a function of the throttle body synchronization.  Not the relative balance (we assume that is OK) but the absolute opening of the reference cylinder.  Try a TBS starting with the #1 cylinder open just over a half turn from fully seated and try again with the idle speed.  It may give you a little more adjustability for the idle.

Front and rear brakes with a fluid flush.  Brakes from Yama mama (stock) and Yamalube dot4.

Next clutch fluid flush.

Took it out for a nice, long (and warm) day ride before having to park it for awhile.  It thanked me properly.

20200801-131255-LI.jpg

Yesterday was spent draining oil + oil filter removal, rear wheel removal, front fairings taken off, checking drive shaft oil~which I'm glad I did because it was obviously new fluid but drained from the filler after cracking the bolt for a good 5 minutes!! and started the CCT swap to a new Green dot one. Got as far as removing the cover and Zip tying the chain and ran out of light. 

Today I wrapped up the CCT swap.....took me longer than I care to admit. I even scored the new bolts so I could use a screwdriver to get them started and in doing so I used a vice while protecting the threads with a piece of hose around them. I read on another forum to use a hose to start the bolts, super flexible but sturdy enough to get them in far enough where a socket or wrench can tighten them down. Think I used said hose to start the bolts??? Nope......my dumb a** had a small zip tie around the head and worked with that!! 

Anyways, it's in. New oil and filter. Runs great. Oh, I also got the front axle loose using a the nipple of a 5/8th spark plug socket (same as 19mm hex) with a longer lugnut in the business end of the spark plug socket so I had enough meat to grab that with another socket and break it loose. Plus one of the frickin bolts holding the right caliper in. Insane where they mounted those stupid dumb reflectors on the fork!!!!! They have absolutely no chance of going back on the bike!! Checked and tested coolant, test good and it looked brand new. Good enough for me for right now. 

Tomorrow is another day. I'll keep ya posted. 

Latest posts