What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Experimented with lane splitting.

I couldn't tell if it was any faster....
smile.png

20150526_163327_zpsba65ef98.jpg

Experimented with lane splitting.I couldn't tell if it was any faster.... :)

[img=[URL="https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll247/rushes60/Mobile%20Uploads/20150526_163327_zpsba65ef98.jpg%5D"]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll247/rushes60/Mobile%20Uploads/20150526_163327_zpsba65ef98.jpg][/URL]
Silly...there's supposed to be cars on both sides silly.

Put the headlight adjuster knobs back on, cleaned the windscreen, checked all my gear, took some out!

The Gray Ghost is ready for the 820 mile trek to Torrey Utah via Casper, Muddy Gap, South Pass, Rock Springs, Flaming Gorge and Vernal UT.

Confirmed that last night's gator didn't do anything other than chip my front wheel's paint a bit. Some idiot in the fast lane barely doing the speed limit. My fault for deciding to change lanes on a left hander where I couldn't see the road around him. Barely get clear of his side when *WHAM!* it feels like I ran into a tall curb. I assume it was a gator... bike stayed rock solid and it didn't curl up to shred my plastics. Tires show no damage and are holding air normally, just a couple bright flecks of aluminum showing where the paint flaked on the wheels. That is NOT how I planned on getting down to the aluminum to polish...

Road the beast to work today, blue skys abounding. Filled the tank on the way in. Now I sit in my cube wishing I kept going down the road.

Dave

Not really 'to' the FJR

It's a bright sunny day, you have your sunglasses on with the sun is in your face as you open a saddlebag to look for your black sun glass case hiding in the black bowels of the bag. (or tank bag)

Or, it's dark and rainy when you pull into an unlit parking lot for the night, and try to find the black Zumo weather cap in your bag.

conspicuity tape!

-Steve

Logged my longest ride yet at 506 miles yesterday. In preparation for the day trip I removed the rear tire, greased the driveshaft splines, changed the rear drive oil, and cleaned the air filter. The dang air filter was the hard part
weirdsmiley.gif
Needless to say, everything looked really good with 25,500 on the clock. These are all 'before' photos. I bought the bike used with 24k miles. Not knowing what maintenance has been done (besides the logged oil changes and tire changes) I was anxious to see the condition of the rear drive. I didn't take 'after' photos so you're just gonna have to trust me!

-Ryan

I removed the mirrors on Dad's '07. Both of them had been scratched badly in previous zero speed tipovers.

I replaced them with a set of previously owned but very nice (unscratched) mirrors I bought off this forum. (Thanks again Yorksman) The difference was more noticeable than I had expected.

Pop was pleased. He is not pleased that I won't tell him what I spent. I told him that it was okay to ride with scuffed up parts when I had my Honda but now that I have my '15 FJR he cannot ride with me with scratched paint.
smile.png

Logged my longest ride yet at 506 miles yesterday. In preparation for the day trip I removed the rear tire, greased the driveshaft splines, changed the rear drive oil, and cleaned the air filter. The dang air filter was the hard part
weirdsmiley.gif
Needless to say, everything looked really good with 25,500 on the clock. These are all 'before' photos. I bought the bike used with 24k miles. Not knowing what maintenance has been done (besides the logged oil changes and tire changes) I was anxious to see the condition of the rear drive. I didn't take 'after' photos so you're just gonna have to trust me!
-Ryan
Did you pull the front universal joint to clean and lube?

https://www.fjr-tips.org/maint/ujoint/uj.html

weirdsmiley.gif
-Ryan
Did you pull the front universal joint to clean and lube?

https://www.fjr-tips.org/maint/ujoint/uj.html
I did not do that. Thanks for sending the link. I will read up and take notes for next time!

Experimented with lane splitting.I couldn't tell if it was any faster....
smile.png

20150526_163327_zpsba65ef98.jpg
Must be one of the new self-riding Google bikes.

Me, I put my leg over, pushed the button, and ran a couple errands around town. Not a big deal, but it's been a month, and a month of nice coolish, sunny riding weather wasted. Back surgery, successful recovery, back on two wheels! A good day.

Today was bitter sweet. I washed the remnants of over 1900 miles of riding for SWFOG away. Bitter because that ride is over. Sweet because I can actually see my bike again, it was the dirtiest it has ever been.

Washed about 10 pounds of South Louisiana bugs off of it.
I felt really smart washing it in the rain. Of course when I tried to dry it in the rain, not so much.

I cannot stop staring at the damn thing. This bike is gorgeous.
Nothing like a little acid rain to get the bugs off.

I did this stuff...

New tires, new front brakes, greased, output shaft splines, U-joint splines, drive shaft splines, and rear wheel splines, and even some splines I found in the garage...

FJR_zpswchnkiw5.jpg

I did this stuff...New tires, new front brakes ...
If I were you, I wouldn't dangle the front wheel speed sensor from its wires (I assume it's seized so won't come out of the holder). The wire isn't very strong, could easily be damaged.

Pics of how I supported my rear one, and the brake calliper:

(Click on image for larger view)

Other than that, your garage floor gets almost as messy as mine when I'm doing stuff!

Last edited by a moderator:
Routine stuff, or so I thought. Replaced engine oil and filter. Check. Replaced front brake fluid. Check. Replaced clutch fluid. Check. Removed clutch lever to clean grunge out of bushing and lube. Check. Now my clutch doesn't release as in, other than neutral it's still about 3/4 of the way into gear with the clutch lever pulled in. W T F?

Latest posts