What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up tabs and applied today. Was going to ride last Sunday when it was 60+ but... thought better of it.

NBB, I picked up the tabs on Friday, removed the covers and installed them on Saturday, and went for a 60 mile ride in 60 ' temps on Sunday!!!

I stayed on clean(er) 2 lane roads and checked out my route for an up-coming ride in April. 

The bike was fully charged, and she started on the first 'touch' of the button! I smiled and geared up for the first time in many months.

The bike ran flawlessly, after I aired up the tires. Even my wife said I looked 'happier' when I got home.              😀

Just received a new set of Michelin Road 5's and will have them mounted and installed before a May ride thru south central CA, AZ and NV. The current Road 5's have 11,000 miles on them but with 3/32 tread left decided not to risk the May ride on them!!   :bike:

Last night, I went over all of the details of the bike with it's new owner, then watched as they rode away together. I had a great time with the FJR, but it was time to move on. I may be back on one in the future. For now, I will enjoy the new Tracer 900!

NBB, I picked up the tabs on Friday, removed the covers and installed them on Saturday, and went for a 60 mile ride in 60 ' temps on Sunday!!!

I stayed on clean(er) 2 lane roads and checked out my route for an up-coming ride in April. 

The bike was fully charged, and she started on the first 'touch' of the button! I smiled and geared up for the first time in many months.

The bike ran flawlessly, after I aired up the tires. Even my wife said I looked 'happier' when I got home.              😀
While I have not rode the FJR yet in 2020,  I did ride(play on ) the snowmobile many weekends this winter, with most rides being 5-8 hours,  That helped with my SEG

Prepped for riding, checked tire pressures, etc. Self imposed not to ride till I finish some bookwork.. yuk. 

Wired up the PIAA Slim Line horns on my 17 today. The wire assembly I created worked great.

Next was to remove the FZ1 mirrors on my 09 and put them on my 17. The upper panel was fun to remove. Not!

They maybe ugly but I can see what is behind me.

tdxW6VV.jpg

With the mirror installed next up is to remove a few feet of redundant wiring.

mKKzfHD.jpg

The Garmin cradle cable is huge.  I will replace it with the cradle from my 09 which I cut and sealed extra wires except the power wires.

Y9owRr0.jpg

Dropped the triple clamps to 8mm below the top of the fork tube cap.  Prior to that, the bike was hesitant to lean into the turn.  The leaning motion is now more fluid and more predictable, albeit much faster than stock.  I still can't believe the Yamaha "engineers"  put a 14lb battery way up high and way outside the CoG.   Geniuses.

Removed excessive wiring from the battery box area on my 17 and installed a Clearwater Voltage Sentry.

I had this on my 09 and like the simplicity of an light to indicate battery charge status. Before I replaced the battery on my 09, about 3 years ago, the Voltage Sentry was gave warning the battery wasn't accepting a charge. Perfect.

CVS-close-up-lit_600x.jpg

Got it out of my shed Saturday and installed my new MotoBatt battery.  Sunday I took a 140-ish mile ride around the block.  Good to be out on 2 wheels again, just in time for our state's saty-at-home order to begin.

Put a new back tire on. Dunlop sportmax roadsmart 2, 95 bucks to the house. Used zip ties and baby powder (on the tire) and got r done. I am just getting to where the shops are charging way too much for tires and mounting, fjr is easy with the centerstand. Rocket 3 is a pia with having to jack it up secure it.

Didn't know you could still get the RS2, did you check the DOT date code?  Hated the only set of these I ever tried although the front was worse than the rear.  
Went out and looked 9ALM3719. Does this mean 3/7/2019? 

RossKean, what did you hate about the Dunlop RS2? I went for a ride they felt good, I do live in Kansas though.

RossKean, what did you hate about the Dunlop RS2? I went for a ride they felt good, I do live in Kansas though.
It was a long time ago, maybe 2010 or so.  The tires were new and on the bike when I got it.  I found that the front wore quickly and unevenly.  I wasn't used to the bike at that point but I wasn't overly impressed with handling.  At that point, I think I was still using Yamaha recommended tire pressures and now I typically run a few PSI higher.  Don't remember the back that much but I changed it out the same time I did the front.  It was pretty flat-spotted IIRC but had done far too many highway miles with that set.  Went to Michelin PR2 after that and they seemed a lot better to me although I still didn't love the front tire.  For the past several sets of tires, I have been running the Roadsmart 3 - much nicer than the 2's, IMHO.  (Trying a Michelin Road 5 GT next.)