What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok haven't been on the forums for awhile, at least a year maybe more and haven't ridden in longer than that.  Last July I was diagnosed with the big C so for the last year I've been fighting that battle and thank God  so far I'm winning. I store the feej in my brother in law's garage in the winter but last season I wasn't able to put it on the road. I've been fighting to get back to myself but the chemo and radiation treatments left me with Peripheral Neuropathy so I wasn't sure I would ever be able to ride again. Acupuncture and physical therapy made some improvements so while I still have numbness and tingling in my hands and feet it's not as intense as in the beginning so I decided to give it a try.  So last Saturday I went over and bled the brakes and brought it home. Short ride but the first in so long. Monday corrected the tire pressures and since I had to jump her to get her home ordered a new battery. Battery arrived today so I popped it in but didn't test ride due to impending storms.  Next up will be an oil and filter change as well as the diff. fluid. Right now it's baby steps but fighting my way back. 

Wow.  Glad you are back on two wheels.  Serious shit going on - keep up the fight.  Some two wheel therapy is in order.

Best of luck.

Ok today, new engine oil, new filter, new diff juice. Got done just in time to beat the rain. Wish I had a garage working in the driveway is a pain in the a$$. 😄

Changed oil and filter.  Bled front/rear brakes and clutch.  Reinstalled new rear tire on the bike.  Treated the leather seats.  Test ride, all good. 

Went for another little shake down ride,about an hour and a half (still taking baby steps). Zumo is working fine and paring with the helmet. It was extremely hot the dash was showing 97*F and my butt was burning up. When I was done and putting the cover on I noticed I had the heated seat turned on. I must have accidentally hit the switch somewhere along the way. 😳

Enjoyed watching how-to vids suggested from this member Forum, starting with TwoWheelObsession's Oil change through todays Air Filter Inspection.  Mine looks virgin white and smells like mountain air and chipmunk farts. 
50261203502_a415358e37_m.jpg

Air filters are, for most people, the most overly completed service.  Unless you typically ride in a particularly dusty area, it is sufficient to use compressed air to blow out the loose dust. Reverse the installation direction and carry on.  50,000 miles or more shouldn't be an issue.  The filter actually becomes more efficient as it gets "plugged".  

Continued with small wrenching exercises to complete clutch fluid purge (black) into beautiful golden clean.  Took test ride to nearest vista, Magnolia Blvd of Seattle. Clean feels smooth through the left hand.  Thanks for looking.
50269750372_06340b1068_o_d.jpg

So today retorqed the steering head bearing and rechecked tire pressures. Just keep going over things since it's been so long since I paid serious attention to the feej.🙂

So today retorqed the steering head bearing and rechecked tire pressures. Just keep going over things since it's been so long since I paid serious attention to the feej.🙂
So today disassembled and retorqed yet again since I previously fouled up the placement of the rubber washer re the castelated nuts. Now all is well. Also gave it a bath (it's been awhile). 😷