What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last ride of the season, warmed up nicely for the oil change.

Tomorrow is wash day then start my list of winter maintenance.

Canadian FJR
Mine got a wash, oil change and (maybe) its final ride for the season day before yesterday - along with a fill-up of premium (non-ethanol) gas.  No salt on the roads yet and we may still get a few days when it is worth getting it out again.  Sunny, dry and anything over 3 or 4°C is fair game with a heated jacket liner and heated gloves for a longer ride.  Just have to top off the tank again after I get back.

Calling for partly sunny tomorrow afternoon and maybe as high as 10°C (50°F) so maybe it gets out again.  While I prefer to store with fresh oil, I don't worry about it much.  It doesn't sit with fresh oil in it all the time from April to November and an oil change only replaces 4/5 of the old oil anyway.

As the bike had been parked for a month, rode to a local fruit stand to gather some dried fruit (raisins, pears, peaches, apricots, prunes, apples) to make Swedish Frukt Soppa (fruit soup) for the Christmas Holidays.

My MIL who is now deceased made a batch every year and it was always a treat.

biknflyfisher

Ordered a new Yamaha 50L top case and mount. 
Not quite plug-and-play to fit. Requires a little cutting of the side plastic. The instructions tell you to remove parts to do that, there's no need, with a little care it can be done perfectly well in situ. Make sure you use the spacers as per the instructions or you will put much stress on the mounts.  

Not quite plug-and-play to fit. Requires a little cutting of the side plastic. The instructions tell you to remove parts to do that, there's no need, with a little care it can be done perfectly well in situ. Make sure you use the spacers as per the instructions or you will put much stress on the mounts.  
Crap. Wish I had seen this before I "followed the instructions" and took it all off. Lol.

Oh well. Now I'm trying to figure out exactly where to cut. Looked on youtube for some good visuals. No luck.

At least it's the dead of winter and I am in no rush...

Now I'm trying to figure out exactly where to cut.
Take off the original rack, offer up the new rack, see where it would interfere with the plastic. It's shown towards the bottom left of this picture:

(Click on image for larger view)

Checked tire pressures and the summer air is holding. Readjusted suspension settings to compensate for my weight loss. Took about a 3 hour ride to check it out and so far I'm liking it. 😁

Finished replacing the brake fluid and blew out the air filter. Now I need to replace some of those little plastic fasteners that gave out during the process. Dang-nation!  WBill

Took out the FJR to test the gear I will wear for my August ride through eastern Washington, eastern Oregon, Idaho, and Nevada. Took the cover off the bike and it indicated 108F ambient. As I rode it varied from 102-109 but stayed around 105-106. My sensor was within 2 degrees last time I checked. I could ride into the sun with black mesh pants and a blue mesh jacket over a long sleeved polyester shirt with the visor down and nothing felt hot against my skin...even while stopped.

Well though a bit premature decided to put her away for the winter so put in my seafoam, rode to my brother in law's garage, plugged in the tender, threw on the cover and said goodbye for now. I don't have a garage and hate to get caught off guard with the upcoming winter weather so that's it for now. :cautious:

Okay today was pretty nice so pumped up the air pressure in my new tires to try it out. Went with 40 front 43 rear and took a little shakedown ride to check my newly upgraded fork springs and see if I needed to readjust my suspension settings. Tires liked the pressure and I'm liking my new Roadtec 01 SEs but could just be new tire syndrome, time will tell. Think I might try to soften up the suspension settings. The roads around here are horrible. So after a little bit I'm noticing a lot of heat thinking maybe when the dealer was doing the ignition switch recall might have been under the tank, maybe failed to replace the insulation, can't determine what's really going on so I pull over to check and realize when I was moving the bike around to air up I must've leaned against and turned on the switch for my heated seat. My ass was on fire for an hour before I finally figured it out.
:lol:

Tires liked the pressure and I'm liking my new Roadtec 01 SEs
I haven't tried the Metzeler Roadtec 01. I thought they were more on the touring side rather than sport-touring?? (I don't push the envelope in terms of riding style and would give up a little stickiness in favor of longevity as long as they handled nicely.)
I did try the Metzeler Z6 Interact a number of years ago and wasn't impressed with wear or handling. I haven't tried a Metzeler since.

I will be interested in your impressions after 5,000+ miles or so.

I haven't tried the Metzeler Roadtec 01. I thought they were more on the touring side rather than sport-touring?? (I don't push the envelope in terms of riding style and would give up a little stickiness in favor of longevity as long as they handled nicely.)
I did try the Metzeler Z6 Interact a number of years ago and wasn't impressed with wear or handling. I haven't tried a Metzeler since.

I will be interested in your impressions after 5,000+ miles or so.
My bike came with Z6s as OE and I got over 11,000 miles and was basically happy with them. Then swapped them for Z8s which I thought were better. I had 8 or 9,000 miles on them when I swapped them not due to milage but rather because they timed out. For quite a while I haven't put on the miles I normally would have due to medical issues and stopped commuting on the bike because I lost my parking spot at work. In the meantime Metzeler came out with the 01s which seemed to get good reviews from what I saw but as you said were more touring oriented but the 01 SE is supposedly more sport. So far I'm liking the way they handle but as I said could be the new tire syndrome but like you said let's see what happens 5,000 miles from now. I'll definitely keep you posted. ;)

Mounted up the Two Brothers CF slip-ons that I got from forum member Bogus today.

Attachments

• 20220428_170808.jpg
    20220428_170808.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 35
  • 20220428_173951.jpg
    20220428_173951.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 22
  • 20220428_165200.jpg
    20220428_165200.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 26
  • 20220428_174905.jpg
    20220428_174905.jpg