What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So me thinks I'm gonna do the same on my 2012. Did you have to retune the engine at all? I have a K&N air filter
to let it breathe but any other mods needed? Or just slip on and enjoy?

So today lots of goodies! Installed a Penske shock on the rear. Added stiffer springs and re-valved the front forks. And
New Perelli angel GT II 's to top it off.
Glides like a dream and handles bumps like nothing. Love the Penske shock. Works well with the FJR
Ride safe all !!

So me thinks I'm gonna do the same on my 2012. Did you have to retune the engine at all? I have a K&N air filter
to let it breathe but any other mods needed? Or just slip on and enjoy?
There is no need to "retune" after adding any sort of aftermarket exhaust. Can't change fuelling parameters anyway without an aftermarket device such as a Power Commander. Save your money on the PC, even if you do go for the exhaust. (Modification won't net you more than a couple HP at the possible expense of driveability or fuel economy. People have tried.)

Also, don't believe the K&N hype. The FJR has no trouble getting enough air. Some of this stuff made sense in the days of carburetted V-Twins but not so much for a modern fuel injected engine.

Consider the cans for looks or sound but don't expect a performance boost. I am quite happy with the Staintunes that were on my 2011 when I bought it but they don't make the bike any faster.

Penske shock is a nice addition. What did you go with on front springs and revalving? I have AK20 by Traxxion Dynamics in front as well as a Penske rear.

Enjoy your FJR!

Reset my suspension settings yesterday since the dealer apparently changed them making the ride somewhat harsh, even though they claimed they didn't touch them. I hate that a dealer that I once trusted now has a new service Manager that I obviously don't trust. Oh well. :rolleyes:

Spooned on a Bridgestone T31 on the front. Checking the balance, showed I didn’t need to add any weights. Yesterday spooned on a T31 on the rear, added one weight.

I'm heading out in a minute to install a new rear TFX shock and rear hugger fender. :) Gonna have to do front forks next soon.

Sent my forks (AK20s) off to Traxxion to get them serviced/refreshed. Now I need to get them reinstalled and do an oil change so I can go ride.

Took a couple of short rides on my local loop to test my adjustments. Been trying to dial in my suspension settings after my Traxxion Fork Spring upgrade. Checked the sag, readjusted the preload, reset the rebound and compression damping. Feels pretty good but may not be the final setup. Gonna live with this for awhile then see what happens. Not a lot to be done with the OE rear shock. Still debating, gen III, after market or live with what I got for awhile longer.
;)

Took an "adjustment ride" with my AirHawk seat pad. It sure requires a lot of small changes of the air pressure to get it to be "just right". On the plus side, I have it adjusted now to where I can ride for 3 hours before my buttocks get sore, up from 45 minutes with only the stock seat.

Did the Barbarian Jumper Mod on my ‘05. Increased each cylinder’s number by 5. Now the perceived stumble I felt every time I took off from a stop is gone.

Took it to the liquor store and loaded up a case of wine and 3 cases of beer. Something to be said for non stock luggage ;)

Took a couple of short rides on my local loop to test my adjustments. Been trying to dial in my suspension settings after my Traxxion Fork Spring upgrade. Checked the sag, readjusted the preload, reset the rebound and compression damping. Feels pretty good but may not be the final setup. Gonna live with this for awhile then see what happens. Not a lot to be done with the OE rear shock. Still debating, gen III, after market or live with what I got for awhile longer.
;)
Not got my FJR 1300A anymore but the best thing I ever did with it was to replace the rear shock with a Nitron unit. What a difference. Night and day. S'pose your options are limited with the ESA version, though....

Did the Barbarian Jumper Mod on my ‘05. Increased each cylinder’s number by 5. Now the perceived stumble I felt every time I took off from a stop is gone.
I searched for and found the thread for the Barbarian Jumper Mod. The links to the description of what it actually is no longer work. So, what is the BJM?

Not got my FJR 1300A anymore but the best thing I ever did with it was to replace the rear shock with a Nitron unit. What a difference. Night and day. S'pose your options are limited with the ESA version, though....
On this side of the pond the AE is the computer controlled clutch version but the suspension is non electric so no limitation there except for cost. Not riding two up anymore and not really pushing the envelope lately so my dilemma is what will give me the best bang for the buck, what do I really need??:unsure:

On this side of the pond the AE is the computer controlled clutch version but the suspension is non electric so no limitation there except for cost. Not riding two up anymore and not really pushing the envelope lately so my dilemma is what will give me the best bang for the buck, what do I really need??:unsure:
My riding was mostly 1 up as well. Do the rear shock - you won't be disappointed. Any reputable unit is better than stock, as I said, I installed a Nitron but AFAIK WP and YSS have also been used with some success....

Last edited: