What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not what I did today since it took four days total...
Pulled wheels and had new GT6's installed, mounted a 2500 lb 12v wench to a glue lam in the garage after looking at building a "pipe stand" to support it, pulled the center stand (PIA), drive unit, shock, swingarm, performed a full pivot service, cleaned my swingarm and rubbed two coats of ceramic onto it, scuffed and painted the center stand and baked it in the oven (wife loved that!) lubed brake, shifter and clutch pivots, replaced the two silly phillips head screws on the side stand switch, put the front bolts into the center stand the RIGHT way, changed oil and filter, flushed brakes and clutch, extended my rear caliper as far as I dared and scrubbed a ton of debris off the piston since it has been dragging a little, actuated the ABS unit twice, and put an oregon ducks sticker on my windshield.
Went to scuff in the new tires since I was leaving for Tacoma at 5:00 am but it was still raining and thought I will just take it easy in the am. Got up at 4:00 looked at the thermometer and puckered since it was 36°, jumped on at 5 and rode super puckered since all the roads were wet for about 150 miles until it warmed up to a balmy 46° and finally let it lean a little. Got to Lakewood Washington for my 10:00am appointment at KFG Motorsports and got GP cartridges installed and my Penske serviced.

Attachments

• 70482687933--260DA6B0-BC84-4C60-9E7A-56A92F57B1CC.jpg
    70482687933--260DA6B0-BC84-4C60-9E7A-56A92F57B1CC.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG-0693.jpg
    IMG-0693.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG-0695.jpg
    IMG-0695.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 70482687086--F267F6B5-B690-471E-8102-74C735BD9456.jpg
    70482687086--F267F6B5-B690-471E-8102-74C735BD9456.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 1
Installed new road 5 gt tires and painted my home made rear rack on the givi mount.Also installed some new riser on my ABM conversion the blue dots are a pivot that allow the one inch risers to rotate fore and aft for comfort.they are available from ABM.

Attachments

• IMG_2273.jpg
    IMG_2273.jpg
    682.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2274.jpg
    IMG_2274.jpg
    716.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2275.jpg
    IMG_2275.jpg
    713.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2276.jpg
    IMG_2276.jpg
    631.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2277.jpg
    IMG_2277.jpg
    689.4 KB · Views: 1
Today’s projects:
1. mounted the front and rear wheels shod with new Pilot Road 4 GT shoes.
2. changed the engine oil &filter, running Yamalube 10W-40 GP Spec synthetic oil with HiFlo HF-148 oil filter.
3. changed the rear end oil with the Yamalube FJR spec shaft drive oil (you use what you like, I’ll use what I like).
4. Listened to my fave race of the year while working in the garage (24 hours of Le Mans).
Now enjoying a cold German Altbier from Amador Brewing - a great day.
Biknflyfisher

Actually yesterday. Took a little shakedown ride after my oil/filter change and my brake and clutch fluid flush. About 3 or so hours. Started getting hot and traffic was building, not much fun crawling along when the temperature's rising so I decided to cut it a bit short. Everything appeared to working fine. No runs, no drips, no errors.
:D

I washed my bike today. After my 11 day 4688 mile trip out to Colorado & Utah it needed it!

DSCF0297-M.jpg

The 2 streaks are from the turkey I hit in Torrey Utah. The bike and I stayed upright, the turkey, not so much.

Here's the after picture

DSCF0474-M.jpg

No streaks.

Last edited:
Lubed my clutch and brake levers after hearing the clutch lever squeaking at me.

I love having the history of a forum to lean on: shop manual just says to lube all moving parts, not very helpful in isolation.
https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/lubing-the-levers.10590/ was much more useful, especially the tip about tightening
If you do that clutch lever at least annually (before it squeaks), the brass bushing that engages the pushrod may last the life of the bike. Neglect it and you'll replace it every couple of years.

Preparing for a trip to TN/NC. Such an original motorcycle destination right?
New roadtec 01s. Was an experience....
Oil change. Trying some Rotella T6 15-40 this time
Final drive oil, went with mobil 1 75-90
Fixed my f__king heated grips. Three times :/

Trying some Rotella T6 15-40 this time
Final drive oil, went with mobil 1 75-90
Just a comment - not making this into a lubricant discussion!
Never tried the 15W40 T6. Suspect it won't be very different from the 5W40 I have used for 300,000 miles on two FJRs. Mobil1 synthetic gear jizz works great.

What's up with the heated grips? Never had an issue...

Have a great trip!

Just a comment - not making this into a lubricant discussion!
Never tried the 15W40 T6. Suspect it won't be very different from the 5W40 I have used for 300,000 miles on two FJRs. Mobil1 synthetic gear jizz works great.

What's up with the heated grips? Never had an issue...

Have a great trip!
I would have gotten the 5W40 since I ride in the winter, but 15W40 was all Walmart had and I wasn't about to pay 43$ for 5 quarts at autozone. Maybe next time they'll have it or I'll order it online. Should be the same price at walmart/other retailers
Wtf is gear jizz lol. Is that just gear oil lmao. All that matters to me is it not blowing up

The bike came with some old oxford heated grip controller. Worked great at first but recently one of the wires to the controller went out. Replaced that wire in a kindof jank fashion. Worked for a day, then the whole controller died. *eyeroll*. Took the whole controller out and replaced with a relay and switch. Then go figure, the water resistant switch I got at autozone wasn't water resistant so it took another crap. Replaced with a regular switch and I'll figure the rest out....some other time. Someday I'll get another actual controller lol. Just didn't wanna go into winter without heated grips...

Wtf is gear jizz lol. Is that just gear oil lmao.
In the good old days, Yamaha insisted that you use their high priced final drive gear oil. Clowns among the early inmates dubbed the stuff "Whale jizz" - as justification for the outlandish expense. AFAIK, nobody has ever had a final drive blow up due to the use of a lesser lubricant. Mobil1 is just fine. I use a store brand (Canadian Tire) synthetic.

Didn't know what year your FJR was - my '07 didn't have heated grips but my '11 has factory heated grips. (I see from an earlier post that you have a '08) Factory heated grips can be purchased for earlier Gen II, but they are expensive. (There is even a plug in the wiring harness to connect them.)

Hahaha. I thought that may have been the case

Mine's an 08. To my understanding, they were optional. There's a little plastic panel on the left hand side and everything. I believe I could purchase a OEM kit but at the $400 price I found online I will go ahead and pass and just get some modern controller instead. Technically I don't even need new grips...

Hahaha. I thought that may have been the case

Mine's an 08. To my understanding, they were optional. There's a little plastic panel on the left hand side and everything. I believe I could purchase a OEM kit but at the $400 price I found online I will go ahead and pass and just get some modern controller instead. Technically I don't even need new grips...
In the early GenII, heated grips were standard with the AE (auto clutch) model but had to he purchased separately for the A model. Became standard for all - maybe 2010? You can buy a few sets of the Oxford for the cost of OEM.

Oh, another very minor note. I disabled auto retracting, I'm surprised it was as easy and simple as just unplugging one connector. I must have been lucky, I didn't have to remove any panels. I'm surprised it took me until now to disable it lol.

Well, since I started this thread, I should post up what I did! I got an early b-day present from my wife, a Fenda Extenda. She gave it to me early so I can put it on while the FJR still has 0 miles on it. I told her she didn't have to give it early because I wouldn't be able to ride the FJR until insurance on the bike kicked in on the 15th. Then she told me the best part. She called the insurance guy, so I'll be covered starting tomorrow. I can hardly wait to ride!

Back to the Fenda Extenda. I roughed up both surfaces, glued with 5-minute plastic epoxy, and clamped. I did the same thing with the Bandit a few years ago and it has held up great.
I also got the fenda extenda but I used it as a mold and knocked one up out of carbon fiber twill and epoxy, also made another for a bud. Looks great and so light.

New tires on the FJR. Replaced Dunlop Mutants with Shinko 016 Verge 2X tires. They are dual compound that Shinko claims good mileage and grip. We shall see. The Mutants went about 6500 miles and still had tread but rear was squared off and front was cupping.

20231007_095127.jpg20231007_095154.jpg20231007_095208.jpg

New tires on the FJR. Replaced Dunlop Mutants with Shinko 016 Verge 2X tires. They are dual compound that Shinko claims good mileage and grip. We shall see. The Mutants went about 6500 miles and still had tread but rear was squared off and front was cupping.

View attachment 5665
Any particular reason for choosing the Verge over the Ravens? I've heard good (and bad) things about both although it is one of the few tire brands I have not tried. They used to be a very low cost option but not so much any more.

What was your overall opinion of the Mutants? I looked at them but decided on Dunlop Roadsmart IV for my next set as I have had good luck with the RSIII over the years,

I liked the tread design of the Verge better than the Ravens. Also, reviews seemed a bit more positive on the Verge and they are a dual compound. Harder in the center softer on the sides. I've had good luck with Shinkos on sport and adv bikes. I think a good value on a good tire.

I liked the Mutants. Tread design worked well in the wet and good in mild gravel conditions. They lasted pretty good also. They were getting noisy when leaned over in a turn.