What do you do when you see cagers on cell phones

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I figure if I get whacked by some moron who is yacking on their phone it's my fault; as a motorcyclist ultimately it's my responsibility to be aware of the dangers out there and to be responsible for my own safety.
2247302-plus1.gif

Fault is irrelevant on a motorcycle. It's gonna be your funeral. Don't point fingers, point your bike and ride it, ride it, ride it....

How about all them fancy gadget boyz riding motobikes and playing with:

• GPS
  • StarComm's
  • Tuneage
  • PHONES!
  • Radar Detectors
  • Girlfriends
  • Cameras
  • Hydration systems

Just sayin'....

I considered the implications of a cell phone jammer nested in the fairing of my bike a long time ago.

Design considerations:

• Master on-off switch on the fairing.
  • Medium but limited range - say 200 ft.
  • Mounted near the brake lights with seperate wiring.

Pro:

• If I'm doing roughly the same speed as traffic around me, cell phones would be jammed well in advance of me approaching the vehicle. This would reduce the chance of erratic driving from people wondering why their cell phones are not working.
  • On-off at will. Like when I see a cop... it turns off.
  • Ultimate reason: People would not be driving near me and using their cell phones at the same time.

Con:

• There are legitimate excuses to use a cell phone. Like calling 911. I would not like to be responsible for someone's death because I jammed their phone.
  • Major legality implications. Like cops getting pissy because they can't talk on the phone at the same time as driving and ticketing me in annoyance.
  • Behavioural changes. The safety benefits of having a cell phone jammer are almost negated by the erratic and unpredictable behaviour of a person trying to call their friend again with no reception. Basically rather than talking on the phone and looking at the road, they would now be looking at their phone and trying to make a phone call again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to mention FCC fines for unlicensed RF radiation on cell phone frequencies, hell you can't even legally tune a radio receiver to cell phone freqs!

I considered the implications of a cell phone jammer nested in the fairing of my bike a long time ago.
Design considerations:

• Master on-off switch on the fairing.
  • Medium but limited range - say 200 ft.
  • Mounted near the brake lights with seperate wiring.

Pro:

• If I'm doing roughly the same speed as traffic around me, cell phones would be jammed well in advance of me approaching the vehicle. This would reduce the chance of erratic driving from people wondering why their cell phones are not working.
  • On-off at will. Like when I see a cop... it turns off.
  • Ultimate reason: People would not be driving near me and using their cell phones at the same time.

Con:

• There are legitimate excuses to use a cell phone. Like calling 911. I would not like to be responsible for someone's death because I jammed their phone.
  • Major legality implications. Like cops getting pissy because they can't talk on the phone at the same time as driving and ticketing me in annoyance.
  • Behavioural changes. The safety benefits of having a cell phone jammer are almost negated by the erratic and unpredictable behaviour of a person trying to call their friend again with no reception. Basically rather than talking on the phone and looking at the road, they would now be looking at their phone and trying to make a phone call again.
This is what I thought of when considering this device..Like throwing fuel on a fire..

I guess not much can be done about this problem. :angry03: Thanks Ignacio, just as I suspected, Illegal in CT

It may be the most popular, but it's hardly the only stupid inattentive cager trick.

I just watch them closely and try to stay out of their way and zone of danger. Sometimes I curse them inside my helmet, but I'm wise old enough now to almost never use my middle finger anymore, no matter what they do.

I don't notice whether they're on the phone or not. It makes no difference to me, as I'm just looking for what might happen. Whether they're on the phone or not is irrelevant. Everybody out there is stupid, careless, and inattentive, and it's my job to keep them from killing me.

(BTW, that is not an attitude I adopted when I started riding. It's what I've known since I was 16 and started driving.)

Had a bread truck pull across my lane to start a u-turn the other day. Horn, brakes, stopped OK. He stopped, looked, saw me and finished his turn! This made me realize the advantage the AE riders have. With a fist full of brake and another full of clutch, I had no gesturing digits free!

Cool thing about bread trucks, though, is they have a vehicle number and company name. Complaint filed.

it is not legal in WA , but it is totally ignored. I have this very cool Blue Ant visor bluetooth that I just tap to answer, and can talk and still pay attention to the road while driving. On the bike I just let it go to voicemail and check it when I gas up.

Latest posts