What do you tell them

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"With the exception of a nice, twisty little wind through the Peace River valley, the run to the North West Territories' border was almost due north and as straight as Hans Blix. This was fine for the first hour or so, as early morning mists rise and the body and bike both come up to operating temperature. However, the straight line thing begins to pale rather quickly after that and the true rider begins to squirm about, hoping and praying that some twisites will magically materialize or some foreign-looking dude in a jet black Lamborghini will pull alongside and point ahead with his racing gloves.

Those of you who have never ridden a motorcycle (never a “motorbike” if you please) are missing out on a whole new dimension of the planet Earth. A run up a highway like this in a car concentrates on inner pleasures like music, news, things to sip at and chomp on but also gives you time to worry about the boss, the wife or the bank account. A straight highway in a car is sought after because, simply put, cars lean the wrong way. Yep, go get your ultra expensive Ferarri or Posche and watch yourself brace against the turn, head and upper torso banging against the door when things get dicey. Then drone straight on after the apex and fiddle with the temperature controls while you watch the movie of your trip through various flat screens otherwise known as windows.

A motorcycle on the other hand flies quite like an airplane that skims but a few feet above the ground. You don't watch your own movie on a bike, you direct and star in it and nobody, aside from an armed police officer or two, can tell you what and what not to do. If it's cold out then you are cold, if it rains you get wet, if you ride through the Rockies you just crank the neck a bit and stare straight up at the majesty of it all. You smell the smells, catch the wind, dodge debris on the road, and wave to kids and hitchhikers, with whom all motorcyclists have an unwritten bond.

As you prepare to enter turns you zip the throttle a few times, braking and down-shifting just so and then you crank the bike over, keeping a steady hand on the gas as you skim inches above the pavement streaming below. As you start to straighten up at the turn exit you get hard on the gas and the bike JUMPS forward. As you continue to shift up and accelerate hard you are ppp-pulled back on the seat and you get the great sensation of being tied to an endless, huge rubber band. That stupid grin comes up and then things start to blur a bit as your velocity brings you within range of the Canadian Criminal Code. Again.

But things are different in the Prairies.

I pondered this great dilemma and opened the mind to the LSD-25 softened cortexes of yesteryear searching for a solution. As we droned along the mind twists and folds into itself as one initiates some of the standard straightline defence techniques such as using the killswitch to trigger neat backfires, jamming the centrestand on the pavement to cause a huge arc of sparks that are visible in the mirrors, laying flat on the bike and letting the legs dangle out the back so that the toes of my boots would skip and jump as they occasionally touched down, or seeing how far I can go with my eyes closed."

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess the answer depends on who asked the question. I want to say "you wouldn't understand", but it seems like a bit of a cop-out.

Responses to folks I know run along the lines of "because its the most fun you can have with your pants on". :)

For someone who I don't know that well, especially someone who might be considering joining us and learning to ride, I try to explain the sense of "being there" that you can only get on a bike. And then I offer to kit them up and take them for a leisurely ride through rolling Rocky Mountains foothills, and by the end of that, they understand - and usually wind up among the enlightened.

Re: gear... I've worn a one-piece 'stich for the last 10+ years. Debated going two piece before I bought the first one, and a conversation with one of the sales guys at the BMW dealer in Ventura made all the sense in the world to me. He said "get a one-piece" and I asked "why?" and (it was a quiet afternoon and no one was around) he turned around and dropped his jeans to show me the scars. "I was only going to the corner for milk, figured I'd leave the pants on the hook in the garage. Get a one piece, man- you gotta save your ass, that's where the skin grafts come from". So I bought a one-piece, and put up with minor discomfort during hot summer days.

Griff

Wow factor!! Freedom factor!! "Are you nervous?" "Do you worry about your saftey?" Yes to both. I'm always looking for the other guy because he may not be looking for me. When you get too comfortable that's when accidents can pop up. I watched a movie in drivers ed many years ago and the most important message I got out of was ... Always look ahead, look at the big picture!

I can be so alone with my thoughts. As I rode my last trip I had people chatting me up at traffic lights. Simple questions and verbal high 5s. As we drove off I knew they wanted to be part of my adventure. They were envious that I was riding and they were off to work or home to dinner. They were happy for Me. I hope I brightened they're day because they brightened mine.