What do you tell them

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TILAM

Reaction score
So what do you say when they find out you ride a motorcycle?

Most no-riders can't seem to understand how we can put ourselves at such "elevated" risk.

I haven't got a quick response other than "you wouldn't understand".

Last edited by a moderator:
"We don’t run with the pack. We are not counted in the lemming-like hordes of look-alike mini-vans and SUVs. We are outsiders, non-conformists, free thinkers, independent and proud of it" ... "If you don’t understand, I can’t explain it in any more words. Sit in your mini-van and try to tell me that your heart beats a little faster when you turn the engine on. Pull into a mall parking lot full of so many mini-vans and urban-warrior-SUVS that you worry about recognizing your own vehicle - and try to tell me you felt a thrill about coming together with them all. Drive through the countryside with your windows rolled up, air conditioning on and music cranked up and try to express the experience of motion through the fresh air that smelled of new hay and cows".

"If you've never ridden, you can't comprehend. But once you try it, you're hooked for life". -Ian Chadwick

I could not say it better than the above quotes from Ian Chadwick's essay on motorcycle riding. And ... yes ... often I also just say you won't understand.

-Greg

"We don’t run with the pack. We are not counted in the lemming-like hordes of look-alike mini-vans and SUVs. We are outsiders, non-conformists, free thinkers, independent and proud of it" ... "If you don’t understand, I can’t explain it in any more words. Sit in your mini-van and try to tell me that your heart beats a little faster when you turn the engine on. Pull into a mall parking lot full of so many mini-vans and urban-warrior-SUVS that you worry about recognizing your own vehicle - and try to tell me you felt a thrill about coming together with them all. Drive through the countryside with your windows rolled up, air conditioning on and music cranked up and try to express the experience of motion through the fresh air that smelled of new hay and cows".
"If you've never ridden, you can't comprehend. But once you try it, you're hooked for life". -Ian Chadwick

I could not say it better than the above quotes from Ian Chadwick's essay on motorcycle riding. And ... yes ... often I also just say you won't understand.

-Greg
Funny, I know people that will NEVER understand.

You know...motorcycling is inherently dangerous, so why do you ride?

I tell them that some folks are born with a specific gene makes them want to ride a motorcycle. The same gene also makes them want to enjoy the finer foods and drinks of the world, to travel and live every minute to it's fullest.

There are those that in their life, do all of that, but do not have the gene. They always feel a bit unsure of what they are doing , and often end up selling the motorcycle and staying at home on the couch watching TV.

Some , because of various reasons , (like peer group pressure), continue to ride , but the "unsureness" they feel ends up making them so uncomfortable riding that they crash , or find excuses not to ride.

Those that do have the gene, become hopelessly addicted to riding a bike, even if their means prevents them from "seeing the world" or "living every minute to it's fullest." But Riding their bike becomes one of their most treasured pleasures, much like good food, or good sex. They are literaly happier on their bike than they are in most other places. They spend time and money making sure the bike is always ready and affords them the comforts they desire from it.

So, when you ask me Why do I ride a bike? I'd have to say because I have to, I AM hopelessly addicted to it. The thrill of speed, the Zen like oneness of being with my machine, and the sheer fun of it are just added bonuses really. It's just a part of my life like eating and sleeping now. I couldn't quit if I tried.

And yes, because you had to ask, it is obvious you are not one of us, and may never understand fully what it means.

You may counter with "how dangerous" riding a bike is, and you are right, they do not offer the protection of a big metal cage. But we can all die anytime for a multitude of reasons.

Think about this, that oncoming car only has to move 2 feet over the yellow line at the wrong time and your dead..even if your driving a car. You can't let fear of death overtake your life.

Those that ride motorcycles and are smart...do try to hedge the odds by wearing good gear, and getting good training. Most long time riders are 100% more aware of their surroundings when they are on the road as opposed to your average person in a car. We realize the inheirent dangers and take steps to avoid them.

So, I ride because I believe there is no more enjoyable way to travel than on a motorcyle.

KM

It's a secret I share with dogs that hang their heads out of car windows. Ride with me for a few thousand miles and you'll know it, too. Or I'll leave you at a bathroom stop. One of the two.

Those that ride motorcycles and are smart...do try to hedge the odds by wearing good gear, and getting good training. Most long time riders are 100% more aware of their surroundings when they are on the road as opposed to your average person in a car. We realize the inheirent dangers and take steps to avoid them.
So, I ride because I believe there is no more enjoyable way to travel than on a motorcyle.

KM
Well said!!

So what do you say when they find out you ride a motorcycle?Most no-riders can't seem to understand how we can put ourselves at such "elevated" risk.

I haven't got a quick response other than "you wouldn't understand".
I simply don't argue or discuss it. When I do, I explain that I am not riding like the kids (that we call "squids") but enjoy my motorcycle friends and the overall experience.

I sometimes take the time to explain riding in the late afternoon, coming over a rise and "feeling" the moisture of a freshly irrigated orchard or pasture and the fragrance of the pine trees as we climb into the mountains, the scent of the blossoms of the fruit trees, etc., etc., etc. I try to help the understand the "experience" of motorcycling is more than a "thrill", more being a part of the surroundings I'm riding through...to be more attuned to life.

Some people "get it", some don't.

I ride because it is truly the best relaxation that I know of, well, one of! lol It takes soooo much concentration, that other problems don't seem to exist, or at least at the end of the ride, puts them in perspective! I've met some really great people over the years on bikes. When people have asked why, I just tell them "If I have to explain, you would not understand!" Some dogs are happy sittin on the porch, when others wanna run! Are you a lap dog or a grey hound?

I tell them that it's because it's what I want to do, I enjoy it, I am old enough to both pay for it, I know the consequences of screwing up, and that's all there is to it.

The down side is that even without my 'Stitch on, people around the office call me "Power Ranger."

40 MPG one less car. That would work.

Because if I have to commute why not do it while enjoying a ride.

Freedom!

Answer #1 "I have a Deathwish! BTW is your daughter single?" :unsure:

Answer #2 "It's like opening your home windows in springtime to let in the fresh air in....except at a higher velocity" <_<

Answer #3 "To piss-off my Mother"(Love You Mom!) :yahoo:

I worked as a Hospice Chaplain for 11 years. Took just over 7 years for the nurses to quit asking me why do I ride, especially with the "elevated" risk.

I simply would smile and say, "Hey, more people die in cars than on bikes!"

:rolleyes:

You know... I was going to say some things and then I thought and thought, then I started day dreaming and left the room. I came back and pondered some more, and then I started typing, then I deleted it all, and then I reread the post. Then I thought, "I'm preaching to the choir"!

So I decided not to really say anything. :innocent:

Thank you for your support. :eek:neeyedsmiley02:

If they try the "dangerous" or "dead friend" reasoning I usually tell them "I've lost several friends to car accidents, yet you don't hear me telling you not to drive do you?" in polite words STFU! Usually works like a charm B)