What do you tell them

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ask if they have ever driven a convertible? If they answer yes that leads to the "Did you enjoy the feeling?". If they answer yes to that, I tell them it is the same feeling but 100 times more intense. If they say no to either of the first two questions, I tell them that I have no way to describe the sensation and they need to get out and experience it for themselves. They also find it hard to imagine that the time on my bike is better than any therapy I could pay for. Life is so much better after time spent on my bike. Everything that is bringing me down in life just seems to melt away into the background.

Like others have said, you either get it or you don't. I'm glad I do.

Because I can. It's what I do.

When everyone else is dragging their weary butt to the parking structure after work, dreading the gridlocked commute, I have a smile on my face because I'm going out for a ride on my bike. I arrive at work with a smile, because I've just enjoyed another great ride.

I enjoy the looks on people's faces, when they learn that a GIRL rides a bike.

And the classic, 'If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand'.

Jill

Actually, I don't hear much comment about riding a motorcycle. Since my bike is my primary transportation, neighbors and relatives take it for granted. The people who do ask, "Why do you ride?", aren't motorists - they're usually weekenders, who are really wanting to talk about "why they ride". So, my stock response is generally a shrug, which is enough to get them going on "why they ride". After listening to such mindless prattle as, "It's about quality of life"... "I've always been a risk-taker"... "I like to smell the flowers*"... "I find speed exhilirating"... "I'm out to enjoy as much of life as possible"... "My family thinks I'm crazy, but I'm"... I get to thinking, 'Does the Human Geonome Project know about these people, or did they miss this mutated sequence, altogether?'

Oh, well. What do people think, when they learn I ride a motorcycle?... I really don't care what they think, just as long as they don't start talking about why they ride.

* My personal favorite. Where the hell are they riding? Through a Dutch tulip farm? Why is it most of the road smells I'm familiar with are deisel, motor oil, exhaust, something dead or rotten, and the all-too-occasional skunk?

How about..............

"Cause it make my pecker get hard!"

Ya think that might shut the sheep up?

Actually, I don't hear much comment about riding a motorcycle. Since my bike is my primary transportation, neighbors and relatives take it for granted. The people who do ask, "Why do you ride?", aren't motorists - they're usually weekenders, who are really wanting to talk about "why they ride". So, my stock response is generally a shrug, which is enough to get them going on "why they ride". After listening to such mindless prattle as, "It's about quality of life"... "I've always been a risk-taker"... "I like to smell the flowers*"... "I find speed exhilirating"... "I'm out to enjoy as much of life as possible"... "My family thinks I'm crazy, but I'm"... I get to thinking, 'Does the Human Geonome Project know about these people, or did they miss this mutated sequence, altogether?'
Oh, well. What do people think, when they learn I ride a motorcycle?... I really don't care what they think, just as long as they don't start talking about why they ride.

* My personal favorite. Where the hell are they riding? Through a Dutch tulip farm? Why is it most of the road smells I'm familiar with are deisel, motor oil, exhaust, something dead or rotten, and the all-too-occasional skunk?

You are clearly superior to the rest of us.

In fact, I'm not sure why you would want to lower yourself to hanging around with us...

If they try the "dangerous" or "dead friend" reasoning I usually tell them "I've lost several friends to car accidents, yet you don't hear me telling you not to drive do you?"
I've said that as well, if I'm in a serious mood. If I'm feeling pissy, I'll say "well, I've got an American-made car, so I have to depend on my Japanese-made bike!"

So what do you say when they find out you ride a motorcycle?Most no-riders can't seem to understand how we can put ourselves at such "elevated" risk.

I haven't got a quick response other than "you wouldn't understand".

I ride because fuck you.

Those that do have the gene, become hopelessly addicted to riding a bike, even if their means prevents them from "seeing the world" or "living every minute to it's fullest." But Riding their bike becomes one of their most treasured pleasures, much like good food, or good sex. They are literaly happier on their bike than they are in most other places. They spend time and money making sure the bike is always ready and affords them the comforts they desire from it.

KM
You mean... there's BAD SEX??? :unsure:

Reminds me of an old saying..."rich man's toy...poor man's transportation"

After listening to such mindless prattle as, "It's about quality of life"... "I've always been a risk-taker"... "I like to smell the flowers*"... "I find speed exhilirating"... "I'm out to enjoy as much of life as possible"... "My family thinks I'm crazy, but I'm"... I get to thinking, 'Does the Human Geonome Project know about these people, or did they miss this mutated sequence, altogether?'

Last edited by a moderator:
This topic came up last year and I mentioned then, and still feel strongly, that attempting to defend the danger issue with comments speaking to what we due to mitigate the risks is a big mistake for several reasons. Firstly, because these comments are ALWAYS answered with the "It's not you... it's everybody else...blah, blah blah. Secondly it is a losing proposition...motorcycles are actually dangerous and the thought of explaining the difference between a squid and an experienced veteran rider is just as futile... again only to be followed by the "but it's not you, its all the other....blah, blah blah".

One of the things that I have been trying to change about myself as I get older is trying to care LESS about what other people think and especially think of me. I used to be (and still fight) being hyper-sensitive about what others think. The old me would go on with much of the types of comments others have mentioned. The new me:

Them: Aren't bikes dangerous?

Me: Yes

Them: Why do you ride?

Me: You make your own choices in life.

no disagreeing, no need to justify.

Last edited by a moderator:
Them: Aren't bikes dangerous?Me: Yes

Them: Why do you ride:

Me: You make your own choices in life.

no disagreeing, no need to justify.
Perfect approach. I like it.

Bike safety Haiku:

You have motorbikes?

Aren't those things dangerous, man?

You're damned right they are.

Why do I ride? Like many others here I seem to be addicted to it. I love the speed and the push I get when I pin the throttle. It is the closest thing to flying without being in a plane. Yes, sometimes all we smell is deisel, but other days, the smell of the mountians or fresh alfalfa fields cannot be beat. I enjoy feeling the temperature drop when I ride by a body of water. That is something most people in a car will never realize happens. I like leaving a group of twisties and hearing my heart beat in my head over the wind or my music. I love the sound of my pipes, and I especially enjoy the alone time.

Many of the people who have asked me have just never ridden and have no idea. Some are ass-holes looking for an argument about safety. I guess the intent of the question changes the tone of my answer.