What Do You Wish You Could Transport On Your Bike?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't sew but I used to fix sewing machines as a teenager and as summer work in college.  If you're a quilting fan, look for an old Singer 220 machine, called a "Featherweight".
What would I like to transport?  My butt for 1000 miles a day without feeling like I've gone through a meat grinder!
Oh yes, I know about Featherweights. Several of my quilting buddies have them. I'm quite fond of my Bernina, which I got at sort of an estate sale, with cool cabinet & Singer serger. woohoo!

I haven't done 1000 miles in a day yet, but my longest day that I've measured is 777 miles from Flagstaff to home in one day. That was at the end of a trip at oh, 115 degrees! And none the worse for wear. See, fat asses are handy sometimes.

I can't sew but I used to fix sewing machines as a teenager and as summer work in college.   If you're a quilting fan, look for an old Singer 220 machine, called a "Featherweight".

What would I like to transport?  My butt for 1000 miles a day without feeling like I've gone through a meat grinder!
Oh yes, I know about Featherweights. Several of my quilting buddies have them. I'm quite fond of my Bernina, which I got at sort of an estate sale, with cool cabinet & Singer serger. woohoo!

I haven't done 1000 miles in a day yet, but my longest day that I've measured is 777 miles from Flagstaff to home in one day. That was at the end of a trip at oh, 115 degrees! And none the worse for wear. See, fat asses are handy sometimes.
Berninas were known as the Rolls Royce of sewing machines. But how small and light is it?

The ONLY Singer machines I thought were well-made were the Featherweights and the commercial duty machines--and the older treadle-driven machines. Singer's later machines were junk. I didn't know how much till I worked on an Elna....

Most miles I've done in a day is 800, on my FZ1. Down to Deal's Gap and back. An exercise in determination, and ignoring discomfort. The next time I went down I drove down with a buddy and we trailered the bikes! (got there faster too, because we stopped a lot less and needed less breaks).

Golf clubs is a good idea but mine are too heavy. Guess I could buy a new set..... ;)

I have carried a violin in a case. No big deal but kind of unusual.

I would like to carry my shotgun, broken down in a case. That would probably work OK but when you add a day's supply of shells and other assorted goodies necessary for a day of shooting things get pretty heavy.

Scuba gear. Everything fits just fine except the tanks. Just rent the tanks at the site.

I have been thinking about a ride to the St. Louis (eatern MO) area to dive the old mines in that area.

My biggest issue with combining scuba and riding is that they are both rather relaxing, yet tiring. Combined, you are just dead after a long weekend of doing both.

When you work out the heavy golf club mount, please suggest how I can carry my banjo on the FJR.

A woman, while driving, looked in her car mirror (for once) and saw her husband's expensive banjo in the back seat.

She decided to take a chance and stopped to have lunch, thoroughly checking that she locked the car.

After lunch, she returned to the car, only to have her worst fears realized. Someone had smashed the window of the car and put two more banjos inside.

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember an old Cycle magazine article from the late '60s or early '70s where they had a picture of a guy carrying a surfboard sticking out the side of his bike on some home made brackets. The article was about how dangerous it was to carry stuff like that because of the affect on handling.

I am a competition Skeet shooter and I would love to be able to carry the guns and ammo I need for a "shoot' IE cased shotgun, 4 cases of shotgun ammo glasses, hearing protection, gloves and vest. I do carry my pistols to the range sometimes

my riding mentor told me long ago about carrying things on my m/c: "that's why jesus made bungie cords.." :ROFLMAO:

my riding mentor told me long ago about carrying things on my m/c: "that's why jesus made bungie cords.." :ROFLMAO:
not going to trust $10,000.00 shotgun (krieghoff K80 with Briley ultra lite tube set) to a bungee cord I would buy a trailer for the FJR 1st lol

Attachments

• k80-1.jpg
    k80-1.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 4
I remember an old Cycle magazine article from the late '60s or early '70s where they had a picture of a guy carrying a surfboard sticking out the side of his bike on some home made brackets. The article was about how dangerous it was to carry stuff like that because of the affect on handling.
Geezer,

Nope! Not for me! I think it may be possible to load and carry something large on a bike, but the turbulence from a tractor-trailer could put the bike into the wrong lane at the wrong time. That means the risk outweighs the rewards. Foolish bet, with too much to lose.

Way back when, one of the cycle magazines had an article about this rich guy that went touring on his bike. Wasn’t a Goldwing, or any touring bike of that day, but a bag free sport bike. The guys luggage, tools, camping gear were all in a BMW auto following him with his butler at the wheel.
So, to answer the question, that’s what I want, I don’t want to transport anything 😉

Why aim low when you can dream big? That's why aspiring to a Camaro when there are 911, Lambos, etc. that are more deserving?

I guess today is the day I revive a shit load of dead threads

Need to transport my 50 inch TV 150 miles on the FJR. Not sure how I'll manage it. I don't have the box for it either.

Ideas? I can't be the first lol

I guess today is the day I revive a shit load of dead threads

Need to transport my 50 inch TV 150 miles on the FJR. Not sure how I'll manage it. I don't have the box for it either.

Ideas? I can't be the first lol
Google TV on Motorcycle for some interesting ideas. You might need a helper...
(First one only works on a scooter.)

1695299953676.png
1695299987865.png