What happened to basic quality control

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tmaken2157

Reaction score
I have been a fan of the fjr since the first time i saw one back in 2003.  But it was not to be until last month when i found a good used bike with low miles for a 2007. So now its in my garage waiting for the nys dmv to approve my registration request.  So to past the time We get acquainted by installing lowering links from soupies and watching how to videos from you tube.  I was surprised to learn that Yamaha actually does not adequately grease certain suspention  elements during assembly.  Thanks to twowheelobsession for the heads up. I took the rear wheel off and yup right there no grease on the axle or drive shaft. 24 k on the odometer with no grease.  Great huh.  I suspect the swing arm is also dry. Not looking forward to that job.  I would have suspected better from yamaha than that.  You all should be checking your rides.

It is certainly unusual to hear of problems related to a lack of factory lubrication.

The axle doesn't require lube.  I put a light coat of grease on it during tire changes to prevent corrosion.  Put a light coat of moly on the drive shaft gear ends, but that's about all you need.

The drive shaft spline "to lube or not to lube" debate is as old as the FJR.  I'm from the camp of "it can't hurt and it may help, so do it once and forget it".

Swingarm bearing failure is absolutely unheard of.  That is a waste of time, IMO - especially if you don't ride in salt covered roads.  The bearings are sealed.

Now - the relay arm absolutely IS an issue if not addressed promptly.  While those bearings are also sealed, the relay arm sits in the stream of everything you ride over - water, muck, pebbles, grit, sand, salt, etc, and it comes from the factory WOEFULLY under lubricated.  And Mama Yammie doesn't even address it in the maintenance schedule.  You have to cut the front bolts from the center stand to remove it and have access to the front relay arm mounting point.  But do not delay on that one.

TWO's videos are detailed.  Like VERY detailed.  I found them helpful, but more so with the speakers turned off.  BTW - there are several methods out there to support the bike and remove the center stand.  I posted my method on here somewhere and I think it's much safer than the others.  My method doesn't have the bike "hanging" but some flimsy structure.  Rather, I've got the bike sitting on the rear peg supports, and I can strap it down and work on it without fear of it falling.

The above feedback, plus many more, comes from experienced FJR folk. Many.  So don't sell the farm because you listened to ONE person, just because he can talk a lot on a well known podcast.  Doesn't make him any better.  So be neutral, Newbie.  Soak in all the info.  Reach valid conclusions from all input.  And for gosh sakes, don't ask any of the endless repeated questions which are answered already on this top notch forum.

If a company has always done "it", whatever "it" is, the same way then it's normal.  Ignore it, ride more and stress less.

I think sometimes folks are just a little too anal about oils & filters & coolant & specs & torque & batteries & spark plugs & reed valves & tires & brakes & shift levers & CCTs & light bulbs & winterizing & cleanliness & splines & trailering & clothing & gas mileage & stuff.
^THIS^ You can worry 'bout a lotta stuff, or you can ignore it 'n ride; I choose ta just ride. 90K mi on my '07 'n ain't noth'in broke yet. 🏍️ This is the joy of FJR ownership, you can just ride the thing 'n not worry.