What happens when your engineer friend .....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niehart

Pie Smuggler
Reaction score
What happens when your engineer friend has a 2015 FJR1300A but really likes the ES’s upside down forks?

Escapefjrtist really likes the idea and the looks of the ES upside down fork. So he priced out the parts he need to do the conversion. After reviewing the cost he decided the project was why too expensive.

You folks know what the 15A looks like but here is a picture of one anyway. This is my bike but George’s look about the same except his is much cleaner.

46493514_10156880004509628_2085545044156088320_o.jpg

Our buddy, Curly Joe, Rich had a little problem with a nation forest road corner in Norther Oregon. All of a sudden the price of parts, one fork, break lines and all of the rest of the needed parts got a lot cheaper.

78119727_10157818160759628_5947798542612430848_o.jpg

And yes that engine still purrs like a kitten. It took about 3 hours of work just to get stuff removed to get to this photo. Thanks George and Jimmy.

George, Jimmy and Rich started measuring parts just to see what was usable and what had to be, as my dad would say, shit canned. The complete left fork was not usable but the rest of the needed parts where so engineer George’s mind starts spinning. He went back to the parts site and came back with a smile. Parts are ordered, forks are rebuilt, steering heads are changed, break lines are changed and on and on. George had it all put together and took it for a test run last weekend. Ever thing worked, from what I have heard, a better than he expected.

78098307_10157818157609628_362331107607183360_o.jpg

It looks great and the man has some serious talent.

As my friend George would say, "It takes a village".

So Kevin, Rich, Jimmy and I were all a small part of this and it was just cool.

PS: George's talent just never ceases to amaze me.

There was also a bit of a technical challenge in addition to the extensive parts replacements....how to set and adjust the damping settings since the inverted forks now have non-operating electrical stepper motors in the fork caps.....and figuring out how those motors changed the damping when they are operational in the ES models.

This is all well and good but as soon as George see's one that may have one less speck of dust on it the he will buy it and "shit can" this one with the bastardized front end. I'll offer a nickle and some small change for it.😁 :punk:

Real nice but how does he own/ride a bike that is cleaner than a new one?
You don't know George. I was at his place to rebuild a shock recently and we had to wait for the Virginia Mason surgeons to finish up in his garage. They come to George's to perform critical surgery because his garage is so much cleaner than their ORs.

"As my friend George would say, "It takes a village".

So Kevin, Rich, Jimmy and I were all a small part of this and it was just cool."

Pan, seems to me that we practiced on your forks and left our marks in your garage and on George's sweatshirt.
Well it's this way, I enjoy being around the two you. It always a pleasure to help either of you, or be helped by either of you. JSNS

It has been awhile since our first meet up. What you have been thru 4 FJR's and George 3?

DSCN0680.jpg

There was also a bit of a technical challenge in addition to the extensive parts replacements....how to set and adjust the damping settings since the inverted forks now have non-operating electrical stepper motors in the fork caps.....and figuring out how those motors changed the damping when they are operational in the ES models.
That would be interesting to hear more about...

Easy Peasy- George just adjusts the damping knob several times per second while riding, nothing to it....