What is the best year to buy?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say this would be the best year to buy either of those.
smile.png

The '07 is the better color. The '09 is probably the better choice.

MOST of the '07 FJRs had snatchy throttle issues. To smooth them out it is usually necessary to install a Power Commander and a G2 Ergonomics throttle tube.

There were some subtle but effective updates after '07. A change in the shape of the throttle cable pulley at the throttle bodies and some different mapping in the ECU seemed to smooth things out.

You really cannot go wrong. In the end you will have purchased an excellent motorcycle.

2009 as the early Gen 2's a couple of issues such as stiff throttle. There was also a cam chain tensioner problem. And here we go again!

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, the best years to buy were 05, 08, and 13 and each purchase was a significant improvement over the previous purchase. To answer the question that is being asked, if I were in the market for a older FJR, I would be looking at an 08 or newer. The 08 was almost like a GEN 2.5.

'09 had all the improvements up to the Gen III and the black/black rims/body combination is hard to beat. More trouble to keep clean but really stands out in the crowd. I have an '09 so there may be some bias.

I love my '07. I think the color is the nicest yet. Throttle pull and snatchiness is known as an issue and some bikes are worse than others. I've pretty much learned to ride around the issues on mine and only notice them now when I'm fatigued. These things were cleared up on the later years.For me, the best year to buy is the one that appeals to YOU. Buy the bike that makes you fell you got the best deal yoou could possibly make.

Check'em all out. Get the one you can get the best deal on. Condition, mileage, farkles, proir maintenance, tires, brakes etc.

The year would be the last thing on my mind depending on the price.

07 color is ghey. JSNS
Admins - where did the UNLIKE button get moved to?
wink.png
Gone the way of a kinder and gentler administration. There was too much hand-wringing....and some whining by a few that seemed to accumulate them. (I'm not talking about juniorfjr of course) It's all "Like" only 'round these parts now.
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator: