What is the preferred boot of the FJR riders?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you prefer/own the 3/4 length or the tall (shin) protection

• 3/4 length (maximum protection/ waterproof) Gortex or similar

Votes: 11 10.1%
  • 3/4 length (medium protection/waterproof) Gortex or similar

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • 3/4 length (moderate protection/ maximum airflow)

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • Tall length (moderate protection/waterproof) Gortex or similar

Votes: 31 28.4%
  • Tall length (maximum protection/waterproof) Goretex or similar

Votes: 34 31.2%

• Total voters
Sidi Canyon Gore-Tex They work as advertised. Rain tested at highway speeds multiple times and hours.

If/when they need replacing I'll buy another pair. For me a taller boot interferes with the armor in my riding pants.

If being able to wriggle your toes is important to you consider these boots.

Two pair of Sidi. One for warm weather and walking, the other wet/cold weather but are stiffer in the sole. Neither are great protection, but better than Reeboks.

I had a pair of Oxtar Matrix for many years that I loved. But when they needed replacement I discovered they weren't available any longer. So I bought a pair of TourMaster Solution WP. They are almost as comfortable as the Oxtars. After a couple weeks to breakin they felt fine. Waterproof and easy on and off. Also reasonably priced. Bought at motorcyclegear.com I believe.

Sidi Way Rains. These are my goto boots for day rides and commuting. They get hot in the heat of the day though.

Touring boot: A*'s Scouts. Extremely comfortable and stout enough to kick a moose unconscious. These get hot as well. If I lived in a climate where it was consistently hot, I think I'd spring some bucks for a vented boot for day trips.

Sidi Doha did the trick for me. I'm on my forth pair and I'm sure I'll buy another four. Very good protection and the best part is that when you're off the bike walking around. They feel like the most comfortable pair of Nikes you've ever had.

Right now I'm wearing a pair of Fox Comp II shorty boot. light, comfotable and pretty good protection since it's a motocross boot spin off.

Sidi Doha did the trick for me. I'm on my forth pair and I'm sure I'll buy another four...
Probably not. When I get to likin' something, they ain't around long. Every time I find something I like it seems that they stop making it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went with Tour Master Solution WP 2.0 Road Boot since they're cheap, like me, and come in wide sizes. So far they're comfortable. I wear a nylon rain boot over them when riding in rain, so not sure if they're waterproof.

I've had my pair of Oxtar Matrix boots for 9 years now. They're like wearing slippers and waterproof, although lately they've started leaking just a bit (probably a bit long between mink oil treatments). My next pair will likely be the TCX follow on version of the Matrix.

I agree with the Oxtar and SIDI boots reccos...

...but (and I can't believe that nobody has brought this up yet) reports suggest that Bust's favorite boot is the one NOT lodged up his @ss.

I had a pair of Oxtar Matrix for many years that I loved. But when they needed replacement I discovered they weren't available any longer. So I bought a pair of TourMaster Solution WP. They are almost as comfortable as the Oxtars. After a couple weeks to breakin they felt fine. Waterproof and easy on and off. Also reasonably priced. Bought at motorcyclegear.com I believe.
Great topic as I have been on the search for a pair of boots lately. Currently I wear a pair of Air Force issued, steel toe, boots that are nicely broken in and very comfortable because they breath a lot! My feet stay warm all the time so a boot that breaths well is good, even when temps dip down into the 30's my feet don't get cold on the bike. How are the TourMasters? Do you have the air version? The fact they have wide sizes is appealing as I am finding a lot of boots are just way too narrow.

Black HyTest steel toed work boots, paid for by my company every year. Double duty them as riding boots, work great so far in Socal. Surprisingly comfy for work boots.

I have an older pair of Tourmaster Solution I's (they sell the II's now). I've worn them year round for several years and many miles. They have always been completely waterproof, never a wet foot in those. But they are a bit warm in the heat of summer and now the soles are pretty slick just from walking in them. I ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs so never touch the boots down.

For Xmas I received a new pair of TCX X-Five Plus GoreTex boots. They are very roomy in the toe box, nice if you have wider feet, and are very comfortable right out of the box. And of course being GoreTex lined they are waterproof and breathe better than the old Solutions did..

The old Solutions did require a break in period. Not sure about the Soultion II's. The Solution II "Air" model is an intriguing option .

https://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad161/SwollenRaccoon/FJR/Boots.jpg

Frey-Daytona Evo Sports GTX. Been wearing them since 2005. Too much money, but a lot of protection, and 100% waterproof. Not good for walking very far. Inner hinged-ankle "brace", and covered with a leather /GoreTex liner. If the outer boot wears out, you can order replacements.

My wife has a cute little pair of Sidi Race Vertebrae boots, that she says are comfortable, but they're not waterproof. I wasted enough time in my life trying to get Totes on over non-waterproof boots. Screw that. Never again.

(Not sure if the link above will post the photo. I know the procedure has changed since I last posted a photo, and I read the instructions for the new method, but I'm not very bright.....after all, I ride a POS Gen II).

Local police use the Alpine Web Gortex which is as good an advert as any. I'm waiting for a local store to get a size 13 in for me to try on.

"Cheep, cheep!"

Don't know how many decades I've been wearing the same type: good ol' mil spec jungle boots.

Cheep!

I have a pair of Alpinestar Web Goretex for cold weather or year-round longer rides that are likely to involve rain. They're comfortable to walk in, too. I also wanted a pair of everyday boots that offered some protection while being comfortable to walk in. I just picked up a pair of Joe Rocket Velocity V2X riding shoes that fit the bill. I think of them as my armored tennishoes. I sold the other, less comfortable boots I had.
My vote also for the Alpinestar Web Goretex boot. Have had them now for 3 years, very comfortable and my feet stay dry in the wet and the are comfortable in the heat as well. Saw temps in the 90s to 100s days ago and my fett never felt hot, but then the rest of me was.

I have the Sidi Way Rain boots and love how they feel. These are my only pair so they get real hot in 90+ temperatures.

I took a spill with them and my right boot turned into a frame slider as I slid about 20ft. No broken bones or bruises on me.

923187_10200296672114088_190334668_n.jpg

I'm planing on getting another set of Sidi boots for summer riding.

I have the Sidi Way Rain boots and love how they feel. These are my only pair so they get real hot in 90+ temperatures.I took a spill with them and my right boot turned into a frame slider as I slid about 20ft. No broken bones or bruises on me.

923187_10200296672114088_190334668_n.jpg

I'm planing on getting another set of Sidi boots for summer riding.

Why? That one already seems to be ventilated!
wink.png

Good testimony. That's why people are willing to spend a couple benji's on a pair of MC specific riding boots. I don't know how well a pair of army boots, or generic steel toe work boots would fare. I don't fear for my tootsies on the bike all that much. It's the ankle bone that's connected to the shin bone that worries me more. A decent riding boot should have some ankle and lower shin protection at least.

Latest posts