What is the preferred boot of the FJR riders?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you prefer/own the 3/4 length or the tall (shin) protection

• 3/4 length (maximum protection/ waterproof) Gortex or similar

Votes: 11 10.1%
  • 3/4 length (medium protection/waterproof) Gortex or similar

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • 3/4 length (moderate protection/ maximum airflow)

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • Tall length (moderate protection/waterproof) Gortex or similar

Votes: 31 28.4%
  • Tall length (maximum protection/waterproof) Goretex or similar

Votes: 34 31.2%

• Total voters
I've been using the Sidi Tour Gore-Tex since getting my bike in late December. I've put over 6,000 miles on them. Temps from 30's to 90's, rain and hail. They do feel warm in 90's, but not hot. Torrential rains, and feet stay completely dry. I'm able to walk as much as I would want, they were comfortable out of the box...no break-in needed. I'm very happy with them, especially fit.

If you plan on keeping your boots for a while, and plan on walking a lot in them, make sure the boots you buy offer replacement soles. There's a few brands that offer this, I know SIDI does only because that's what I have, but having that option to take to your local cobbler is nice to keep them going after you've worn them down.

Oxtar used to make a pair of shorty boots, Jupiter, that I wore for several years. Since then I've replaced them with a slightly updated design by TXC.

Gore-tex, light, ankle protection, all weather riding, all-day walking. Adjust temperature by sock weight. Not everybody's delight, but it works for me...

tcxjupiter2.jpg

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-jupiter-2-gore-tex-boots

Last year on Black Friday the local BMW dealer ran a sale,I believe 30% off,so I finally sprung for the all rounders-best riding boots I,ve ever worn. Jeff

Sidi On Road Goretex boots, very very nice. Supportive, water proof, and a good aggressive sole for those gravelly places. Before these I had the Tourmaster Solutions, and they were fine, but as noted previously, the soles wear out quick, then they became "slippery" in those gravelly spots.

I have an older pair of Tourmaster Solution I's (they sell the II's now). I've worn them year round for several years and many miles. They have always been completely waterproof, never a wet foot in those. But they are a bit warm in the heat of summer and now the soles are pretty slick just from walking in them. I ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs so never touch the boots down.
For Xmas I received a new pair of TCX X-Five Plus GoreTex boots. They are very roomy in the toe box, nice if you have wider feet, and are very comfortable right out of the box. And of course being GoreTex lined they are waterproof and breathe better than the old Solutions did..

The old Solutions did require a break in period. Not sure about the Soultion II's. The Solution II "Air" model is an intriguing option .
Another vote for Tourmasters. I have the same pair and have ridden in some heavy rain with no problems. I've got bad feet and usually am not comfortable in boots, but these are good walking boots as well as riding boots.

+1 for Sidi On Road. Mine are probably 12-13 years old now, and other than having to reattach Velcro that has come loose are still going strong. The four Velcro closures on each boot take a bit of time to fasten down, but very comfortable on the road and pretty good for walking. Completely water proof with only minor Nik Wax treatment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really good information stirring up.

I have a pair of Alpinestars Ridge and they are comfortable.

They do leak in moderate to heavy rains; and that's with rain gear on the outside zipped tight.

The biggest issue is they don't have toe re-enforcement and the seam is busting right on the toe shifter.

I used a Sedici medium boot, from CyGear but it's worn good after 2 seasons, lace ups (replaced) Velcro strap wore quickly.

I like Revzilla, they have a plethora of reviews for all riding boots and other stuff.

I am wanting good ankle protection, as in my get off 2 yrs back, chipped the malleolus; so hyper sensitive to that (regular shoe at the time).

Torn between a solid medium high shoe and a tall touring boot with shin protection.

Feedback here is great, sure to help those that come later and wanting advice and real life reviews.

So here is what I ended up with.

https://i.ebayimg.com/t/DAINESE-Kisoro-D-WP-Boot-Euro-46-US-12-5-/00/s/NTAwWDUwMA==/$(KGrHqRHJDIE7zJynhfqBPGfMdZiNQ~~60_12.JPG

hopefully the link worked.

Anyways these are Dainese Kisoro D WP Boots.

I had reservations about these boots, but they were a great price, at $180.00 free shipping.

Looked at several reviews, and tons of boot reviews of different varieties from Revzilla....

Okay, I arrived home to see my new boots and put them on. EU47 I was very skeptical, but they actually fit good.

I wore them Thursday for a couple hours and all day Friday. Saturday was the real test as I was going to ride them on the Sturgis trip.

Well they were slight snug but not horribly uncomfortable during the test walking around. The boot is heavy base and has the most solid foot bed you will ever find, w/o all the injected molded plastics.

Here in Sturgis now, and I absolutely loved these boots. I like the solid hard foot bed feel, but I wore them Saturday and rode in them 23 straight hours on the bike riding to Sturgis and Sunday morning when I arrived in Sturgis, my feet did not hurt. I was surprised that my feet were not a bit tender to put them on again this evening, but they are just fine.

They don't have hard ankle malleolus protection; it's something in there, just not overly pronounced. but the foot bed is so solid that you would be hard to roll your ankle in this boot.

I didn't get to try any water proofing the past 23 hrs, but I am still in SD, I am sure I will get into some rain at some point. 2yrs ago, my Alpine Stars got soaked.

Anyway, if you are looking for a very solid boot; I am liking this one very much.

Riding in 90 degree temps down to 61 last night, the boot was fine. My foot didn't sweat, I did have a cheap moisture management sock on too.

If anything changes, I will update this post.

Well, I can't say enough about these boots.

I Did 3490 miles Sat-Thurs wearing only these boots and I tell you, they were fantastic!!
punk.gif

Really didn't expect it.

Rode through rain in Oklahoma and they were just perfect. No I didn't sink them in a tub of water, as I don't plan on working in waterholes....(never understood that test)

They were comfortable....Because of that solid foot bed, you can maneuver your foot on the pegs, and they support your foot all across. No foot fatigue.

You would think that because they were slightly heavy, they would be taxing and wearing on the foot....not so; absolutely fine.

Rode in temps from 60 degrees to 91degrees, no sweaty feet at all.

I highly recommend this pair of boots.
coolsmiley02.gif
coolsmiley02.gif
coolsmiley02.gif
coolsmiley02.gif

I reckon I compromise a wee bit on shoes. I've been wearing Red Wing 1229's for the past 13 years...

https://www.redwingshoes.com/results/1229

I was looking for a boot that provides an excellent waterproof, breathable barrier; a boot I could comfortably walk and hike with; a boot with excellent grip and something that's just plain comfortable to wear. The 1229's do all that for me. I've had two pair of these over the years. Never a leak, resoled a few times, put a Doc Scholl's in a few times. When I need another pair, I'll get another pair of 1229s.

I finally bought a new pair of boots about 2 months. My first pair of boots were sidi boots bought back in 2001. Great boot and very comfortable. The boot I replaced them with was the Spidi VR6. These boots are sized the same as the sidi boots and every bit as comfortable. I wear a 10-10 1/2 and got a size 44. I used the "super feet" insert and I have all day comfort. The boots seemed broke in right out of the box as well.

8E52EB0B-AC0E-4243-996D-FFAD92FF91B2-5537-000005CE7C9068A2_zps865305c7.jpg