What Maintenance Stuff Do You Carry On A Couple-Day Trip?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Burleigh

Reaction score
So I'm going to L.A. this weekend, and I'll be bringing my tire patch kit, and a few old Playboys. But I was wondering, do a lot of peoople carry oil to top off if necessary? If you need it all of a sudden, then it seems like you want it right now and not across town. 'Course, I add oil maybe once in 4,000 miles just before a change.

And on Saturday, coming home westward from the Sierra Nevada at sunset, I was looking directly into the sun for about an hour. It was not only painful, but also dangerous*, as I lost vision into what hazards were pulling out in front of me, as I shaded my visor with my left hand. So I wondered, maybe I should bring along some blue painters tape to mask my visor just enough to see out. (Here was a perfect example of the tension between "Wanna get home" and "Really should stop and wait for the sun to set." Naturally I went with the former. :huh: )

What other chit you bring I may not have thought of?

JB

*Note pedantic demonstration of the proper use of a correlative conjunction.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not carry spare oil. If you really need it you can buy some along the way. I do carry duct tape and a good selection of zip ties so that I can make emergency repairs.

My helmet has a separate sun visor that slides down inside the regular shield. I used a permanent black marker made for writing on plastic presentation slides to darken the top inch or so of that sun visor to block the morning sun. Those markers also come non permanent, so you could use one and wash it off later if you want to.

<snip>

And on Saturday, coming home westward from the Sierra Nevada at sunset, I was looking directly into the sun for about an hour. It was not only painful, but also dangerous*, as I lost vision into what hazards were pulling out in front of me, as I shaded my visor with my left hand. So I wondered, maybe I should bring along some blue painters tape to mask my visor just enough to see out. (Here was a perfect example of the tension between "Wanna get home" and "Really should stop and wait for the sun to set." Naturally I went with the former. :huh: )

<snip>
Hans

I'm surprised with all your many miles between the cars during commute time you haven't considered the Supervisor motorcycle visor sun shade.

closeup.jpg

I've had mine for 15 years on various different helmets. You can't beat it for driving into the sunset, just nod your head and dip the edge of the visor below the sun and the glare will go away. It works all the way to where the sun drops below the horizon.

It isn't as cheap as a swath of electrical tape, but at under $20 shipped it's a bargain.
clapping.gif

rolleyes.gif

Brodie

Hans

I'm surprised with all your many miles between the cars during commute time you haven't considered the Supervisor motorcycle visor sun shade.

I've had mine for 15 years on various different helmets. You can't beat it for driving into the sunset, just nod your head and dip the edge of the visor below the sun and the glare will go away. It works all the way to where the sun drops below the horizon.

It isn't as cheap as a swath of electrical tape, but at under $20 shipped it's a bargain.
clapping.gif

rolleyes.gif

Brodie
That's a great tip. Fortunately, my commute has always been sun at my back in both directions. This was the first time in recent memory that I headed into the sunset. Thanks for the heads up, er, down....

Roget's Thesaurus and Strunk and White's Elements of Style.
Know 'em and love 'em.

Hans - Along with what you said, I bring misc tools to pull fairing parts and pull a battery, other items for minor repairs.

I would also bring a 2x4 2' long, a floor jack (if too big, use a bumper jack form a 1958 Buick), two jack stands, a front end stand, (1) 2hp air compressor, 50' of air hose, and a pair of fresh sox. Just a suggestion. :D

If you haven't ridden into the sun, you aren't riding enough.

Sunglasses are really cheap.

If you lose enough oil to have to top it up on a day long commute, you have more complex problems.

Riding an FJR is almost as good as sex, but you still don't need condoms while riding your bike.

With today's technology..... 1) Cell Phone, 2) List of Dealers from www.motorcycleusa.com 3) List of fellow FJR riders 4) Some way to post here for HELP!.

I would also add a small piece of 2x4, about 8 inches long, to help raise the bike in the event of a flat tire. Just roll the bike onto the board and it may lift it enough to help you get it onto center stand. I wish I had one the last time I had a flat. It's not very fun holding the bike upright against the kick stand while attempting to plug the tire.

blink.gif

You
do
have a patch kit and
pump
on board !!?!
huh.gif

A package of wet wipes would be handy too.

smile.gif

Brodie

Once in the times of Columbus, Queen Isabella of Spain asked of him; "If you were going to fly directly toward the sun, how would you do it?"

and Columbus said "I would fly at night."

You might check with some of the female members of this forum for things like:

clean undies, lipstick, eyeliner, deodorant, emergency...er...well...you know, just in case you've missed checking your calendar.

So I'm going to L.A. this weekend, and I'll be bringing my tire patch kit, and a few old Playboys. But I was wondering, do a lot of peoople carry oil to top off if necessary? If you need it all of a sudden, then it seems like you want it right now and not across town. 'Course, I add oil maybe once in 4,000 miles just before a change.

What other chit you bring I may not have thought of?

JB

*Note pedantic demonstration of the proper use of a correlative conjunction.
I like black electrical tape for my visor. It completely shades your eyes, and comes off with no residue. I don't carry oil on a long trip. I have never needed to top up between oil changes. The Playboys might be a good idea. If you need one all of a sudden, you will want it right now and not have to go across town. :drag:

I try and take along a 30ish Yamahaha trained mechanic of the female variety. that way if she can't fix it at least I have someone to do things with on the side of the road.

My aaa motorcycle card.priceless.
I was going to suggest this. Or that you have some form of roadside assistance plan.

Basically, I carry a plug kit, a pump, and maps. Obviously have my cell, and soon I will finally add a Spot.

I'm also going to add a small multi-tool (like the ones found a bike shops), a handful of zip ties, and a small roll of duct tape.

What I'm not going to carry is a whole toolbox full of crap. Sure it's great if you need it, but honestly, I'd rather save the space for other crap. Minimalism is good.

I try and take along a 30ish Yamahaha trained mechanic of the female variety. that way if she can't fix it at least I have someone to do things with on the side of the road.
I was gonna say a chase vehicle with a spare motorcycle or something, but I like Comet's better. :rolleyes: