What new bike would you buy...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't explain it, but I want a K1200S (w/out the "issues," thank you)
Gunny on the 1200S! Saw this baby at the San Mateo M.C. show and fell in love:

2041644229_98757a2ddc_b.jpg

Would also get one of these babies:

5.jpg

This one really rings my bell too:

2042443494_841ac07e62.jpg

But seriously, if I could only buy one bike, here she is (ZX-14):

05top07b.jpg

Great thread!

Jb

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the Bimota TESI incarnations. The 1D is a bit dated, and everything's concealed. The 2D is a bit Starship Troopers, but I don't like the space-frame swingarms on the 3D.

1992-bimota-tesi-1.jpg

05_BIM_Tesi2D_1_600.jpg

bimota-tesi-3d-right.jpg

Or if I could find one (or pursuade Mr. Barber out of his), one of these Morbidelli V8s! Only 4 prototypes were built, so it might take the full bag to acquire.

DSC03001a.jpg

DSC03002a.jpg

Couldn't actually show up anywhere on one of these, but if I did, there probably wouldn't be any others!

I already own it...all I have ever wanted to do on a motorcycle is tour...tour...tour...and tour some more. The FJR does it all for me.

I've got the bike...all I need is the cash and the time.

OK, here's the scenario. You just found a big load of money that was hidden in the walls of your house. It clearly belongs to you no strings attached. Your wife says: "What the heck, spend it any way you want honey!!"
What new bike would you buy? Money is no object. You can keep whatever bikes you have now because you're so damn rich.

What would it be?
Could I buy the entire dealership? That would make things easier.

:blink: I guess I'll mirror WheatonFJR's comments, I have the bike I want and that's the FJR, I would take the money and work a lot less and tour a lot more, staying at the hotels that were nice and eating at the best restaurants along the way.

I wouldn't be as pressed for time I wouldn't do my customary 650-750 miles a day, and enjoy the scenery more and do a little more exploring and photography along the way.

JB:

I gotta admit to likin' the looks of that Duece too. Too bad it's got an antique air compressor for a motor!

Well, in a roundabout way [a kind, well to do, favorite Uncle passed away] that's pretty much what happened. ...and "An '08 FJR1300A" is the second half of the answer! ...you did say choose ONE, right?!

If I could get a bag of "No Regret" with the money, I would buy a R1200GSA and disappear into the far north for a LONG time. The no regret is because time on the road means time away from the wife and my 2 young kids, man they really do grow up fast.

Gunny on the 1200S! Saw this baby at the San Mateo M.C. show and fell in love:
At one point I considered all the bikes JB pointed out (well, except the scoot). I've even toyed with the idea of swapping the feej for one of those beemers (I'm a blasphemous bastard, I know). But, when I add up all the good and bad points, the FJR just comes out miles ahead. Great wind protection, power, all-day comfort, fuel range, storage, price, and the list goes on.

I already have the perfect all-around bike! But if I could buy one just as a toy, that lightweight 163hp shaftie (I hate chains) just calls my soul. My local beemer dealer has an 05 K1200S sitting on the floor that I drool over every time I see it. Mercifully, he's got it overpriced by about $3K.

Although I love the exotic bikes folks have posted, I wouldn't go that direction unless that bag of money was so big that I could maintain a collection.

A real world purchase: Well, I'd keep the FJR. It's just perfect for the kind of riding I do most.

Next priority would be a dual sport something to let me play in the dirt. Maybe a dedicated dirt bike. Prolly two of them so that I could talk others in the family into going out and playing with me. Love the Katoom 990 but it's a little big for this job. I think I'd be poking around the 650 range or smaller.

Then I'd start looking for a track bike. The Gixxer 600 would be a big draw for that, though given my size a liter bike may make more sense. Okay -- I'll get the Ducati and the Gixxer for my son.

Then the truck. Then the other cage for club racing. Then the condo on Anguilla and another in Thailand. Then...

Having been born in 1948 and raised in Southern California it would absolutely have to be a new Vincent Motorcycle for me!

I got my first British bike in 1963 - a Triumph Speed Twin 500, followed by a Norton Atlas 750 and finally a BSA Victor 441.

But it was always the Vincent that I lusted over and have always lusted over. Could not afford one then, cannot do it now!

Ah, but if money was no object; then Katie bar the damn door. Here's two Vincent recreations that could make me happy.

From Australia, for 100K AUD, comes the Irving Vincent. https://www.irvingvincent.com It's already proven on the race track.

Via England, by way of Switzerland's Peter Egli, at 75K EURO, comes https://www.johnmosseyrestorations.com Proven firm.