What other bike did you have right before the FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What type of rider would you self-identify yourself as primarily today?

• ADV or dual sport rider

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I had a 1986 Venture Royale and a 2011 FZ6R in the garage when I brought the FJR home. It is the best of both bikes, just a whole hell of a lot faster.

Before the '05 FJR there was a red and white CBR929RR. We tried sport-touring on it, but several 400-mile days and one 600-mile day made us realize we are getting too old for that shit. Read about the FJR a couple of years before it came to US shores, realized it was what we were looking for. When PDP came, I sold the 929 and waited (impatiently) for six months for the '05 to arrive. Still don't see a better alternative, factoring in cost, reliability, power, handling, comfort, and ease of maintenance.

Sure, I lust after the Super Duke GT, but long term, it's hard to top an FJR of any generation.

Vstar 950 Tour. No lean angle. Wrote this. (Warning: it's long.) Waited 2 years -- until I left Boston -- to purchase my FJR.

To quote Redfish Hunter:

"I was unable to fit my riding "type" then or now into any of Fred's categories. My ST and my FJR to an even greater degree were both beasts of many burdens. I use my FJR as work transportation, shopping/errand running, sport riding foolishness, long distance touring, general transportation, and pretty much everything but real off-road work.

The FJR is the Leatherman tool of motorcycles."

I came to the FJR from an 84 Venture which I bought as a basket case, restored and ran for almost 6 years. I took it on a trip with 3 friends ( K1300GT, ST1300 and ST1100) to the Virginia's, North Carolina and Tennessee where I quickly found out the limitations of a full dressed couch on wheels. Had a blast and over the next winter located my 2006 Fjr with about 18,000 miles on it. Try to do at least one long trip a year, rest is commuting, long way home rides, Sunday afternoon rides and occasional day trips.

Started with a Yamy 500 twin, then 750 triple Yamahas first shafty then XS1100 Special, 3 Venture Royals,('83 '86 and '93) BMW1200 LT, BMW 1150 GS, BMW 650F, 5 FJR's ('03, '06, '08, '11 and '13)650 Versys, 1200 VFR, Gen II FZ-1 and now one of my favorite BMW R1200RS and did have some bikes at the same time.
Its official. I wanna be Petey when I grow up.

Started with a Yamy 500 twin, then 750 triple Yamahas first shafty then XS1100 Special, 3 Venture Royals,('83 '86 and '93) BMW1200 LT, BMW 1150 GS, BMW 650F, 5 FJR's ('03, '06, '08, '11 and '13)

650 Versys, 1200 VFR, Gen II FZ-1 and now one of my favorite BMW R1200RS and did have some bikes at the same time.
Yeah, well first you have to survive WW2 on the losing side...then escape East Germany, then you need to learn a completely new language and thrive in your new country by hard work and raise a family, then after you retire you need to ride motorcycles and beat all the young kids through the curves...

So tell me Steve, you ready for all that?

Immediately before the FJR (Actually, I had both for about a year)

2005 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600
sig413.jpg

Prior to that (and got into motorcycles after a 10 year vacation)

2002 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 (that I spent WAY to much money on trying to give it big tits).

sigpic20070708.jpg

A little 1 and a little 3 for the second question, 2003 Honda VTX1300. No buzz in the handlebars...

Immediately before the FJR (Actually, I had both for about a year)
2005 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600

sig413.jpg

Prior to that (and got into motorcycles after a 10 year vacation)

2002 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 (that I spent WAY to much money on trying to give it big tits).

sigpic20070708.jpg
Now I understand...it's all becoming very clear.
biggrin.png

Started with a Yamy 500 twin, then 750 triple Yamahas first shafty then XS1100 Special, 3 Venture Royals,('83 '86 and '93) BMW1200 LT, BMW 1150 GS, BMW 650F, 5 FJR's ('03, '06, '08, '11 and '13)

650 Versys, 1200 VFR, Gen II FZ-1 and now one of my favorite BMW R1200RS and did have some bikes at the same time.
Yeah, well first you have to survive WW2 on the losing side...then escape East Germany, then you need to learn a completely new language and thrive in your new country by hard work and raise a family, then after you retire you need to ride motorcycles and beat all the young kids through the curves...

So tell me Steve, you ready for all that?
Guess not. But I can still say I know a standup guy like that!

85 FJ1100, bought it new and still have it.

Read about the FJR when it first came out, the FJ was starting to show it's age, and I was too. Got a smoking deal on an 05, got the Blessing from SWMBO...Love it.

The FJ sat neglected in the corner for a few years, finally decided it was too good to part with, so threw a ton of money at it and rebuild it with a big bore kit, cams, headwork, modern suspension and repainted it stock colours, and kept it as a Hooligan Bike. It will spank the FJR.

The FJ sat neglected in the corner for a few years, finally decided it was too good to part with, so threw a ton of money at it and rebuild it with a big bore kit, cams, headwork, modern suspension and repainted it stock colours, and kept it as a Hooligan Bike. It will spank the FJR.
And yes it's gorgeous. JSNS Oh and so is the garage it lives in and the view it has, not that I'm jealous ...

1017239_10151719494789628_1737694058_n.jpg

And Dave is a heck of a good host ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a 2005 DL 1000 Vstrom aka the Manstrom and I put 80k on it but grew tired of Dual Sporting on it. Not a great bike on loose surfaces.

I also I developed a theroy that all the most scenic places were found 100+ years ago and at the time putting a road to those places was considered an achivement of man over nature. I developed this idea will riding in a hall of trees on a backroad on Oregon. On some of these off road places you could ride for miles and not see damn thing other than a hall of trees.

Couple that with the notion the snow on the backroads is not melted out until July when the fire season begins. So here you are ready for your Dual Sport vacation dodging smoke in the forest or you can't get to the places you planned on going all year. I really don't like riding in forest fire smoke.

So a so bike on loose surfaces, with less scenery than can be found on pave surfaces and dodging forest fire smoke was reason to see the Vstrom and not look back.

There are plenty of pave roads in the USA and Canada I have never been on and the FJR is a perfect mount for the highway.

VStar 650....great little bike! Put over 20,000 miles on that thing. Sat on a FJR shortly after I bought the Vstar and knew I had to have it one day. After a couple years I rode that thing to Daytona and shortly after I got home I sold the Vstar and bought my FJR! That thing was NOT a touring bike! LOL

I rode a Harley FLSTC (Heritage) for ten years until it was stolen. I then rode a 1984 Honda V65 Saber until purchasing a 2007 FJR. I am now riding a 2013 FJR and a 2014 DL650 Suzuki.

In the 80's and early 90's, it was my Yam 400 Maxim, and then my brand New Yam Radian (loved that bike).

Then I walked away from bikes for 10 years, then picked up a Concours and Valkyrie.

Victory Vegas, Kingpin, Vision, and Cross Country. Add a BMW K1200lt in the mix as well.

But I am really enjoying this FJR. There's a renewed spirit for riding that this machine has drawn out of me. This bike, next to my Radian. Has delivered the most bang for the buck!

Craigar said:
Radian were cool. And a pretty quick bike considering that it only was 53 hp.
One site claimed 66 hp, but that does seem high, and another claims 53 hp, as you stated earlier. Coming off that 400, the radian felt like twice the bike! I remember buying it on summer closeout OTD for $1700.00.

Last edited by a moderator: