What Safety Items Do You Carry?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't really think about it it but wear ear plugs and carry most of your Tier 1 items. Add sticky strings, a 12V pump and you're good to go.

I don't really think about it it but wear ear plugs and carry most of your Tier 1 items. Add sticky strings, a 12V pump and you're good to go.
Please the Tools Thread
smile.png
(https://www.fjrforum....s-do-you-carry/),

I keep a couple of ziploc bags, roll of vinyl tape, and a couple small microfiber cloths.

The bags are to put electronics in, in the event of an outright downpour.. .stuck or not..(can be used for ice on a bump too.. )

Towels.. well, they can be used to dry your brow.. or your electronics before they go in the bag, or clean your visor(already covered)... touch hot stuff, wipe cuts.. etc.(and to wrap around the bag full of ice... )

A roll of electrical tape.. can be used to block the sun on your visor, fix things, seal things, hold things together, emergency tie down..

(I know this may be a tool.. but, I feel it less of a tool than the tire guage or multi tool)

I always.. everywhere, have a swiss army knife.. always.

(Oh.. and I love the Bourbon idea.. Makers for me..but I have yet to keep any on the bike, i fear the two dont mix well.)

Last edited by a moderator:
BWV: You're getting ahead of me. Most of the items you mention I would categorize as general travel gear. I'll add your items to the "Travel" column of the spreadsheet, and I'll post 'em when I launch that thread.

I keep a couple of ziploc bags, roll of vinyl tape, and a couple small microfiber cloths.
The bags are to put electronics in, in the event of an outright downpour.. .stuck or not..(can be used for ice on a bump too.. )

Towels.. well, they can be used to dry your brow.. or your electronics before they go in the bag, or clean your visor(already covered)... touch hot stuff, wipe cuts.. etc.(and to wrap around the bag full of ice... )

A roll of electrical tape.. can be used to block the sun on your visor, fix things, seal things, hold things together, emergency tie down..

(I know this may be a tool.. but, I feel it less of a tool than the tire guage or multi tool)

I always.. everywhere, have a swiss army knife.. always.

(Oh.. and I love the Bourbon idea.. Makers for me..but I have yet to keep any on the bike, i fear the two dont mix well.)

The tape for the visor is one I use. It can be a great help riding into a sunrise or sunset. I use the blue painter's tape. It removes easily and stays on well. Though the electrical tape has more uses.

Agree on the spirits. I won't even have one beer and ride back to the motel. Once the alcoholic beverages start, the bike is put away for the night.

Not a safety item, but I carry a small power strip. There are never enough plugs in hotel rooms for all the things that need charging.

Hehehe... I think I need to make more trips where I don't wind up at home... that way I have an excuse to carry.... (Bourbon that is... )

The spreadsheet looks great ! After i get done with the 4000 mile service items this winter, I'm gonna use that to reorganize my "always on the bike" items.

Thank you!

Me? I mostly just carry common sense.

Sticky strings,CO'2 ansd a small first aid kit to back it up,,, but ,mostly common sense.

Hehehe... I think I need to make more trips where I don't wind up at home... that way I have an excuse to carry.... (Bourbon that is... )
Take a look at the EOM thread as a good first FJR rally, and maybe CFR on the Rock if you are a little more adventurous. And, of course NAFO this year in Wisconsin. They're all good.

Back on topic, I think I'm having trouble distinguishing between normal useful gear, tools for emergencies, and items specifically for safety.

Take a look at the EOM thread as a good first FJR rally, and maybe CFR on the Rock if you are a little more adventurous. And, of course NAFO this year in Wisconsin. They're all good.

Back on topic, I think I'm having trouble distinguishing between normal useful gear, tools for emergencies, and items specifically for safety.
I defend my power strip suggestion because it keeps me from hurting my back trying to reach that plug under the bed ;)

I guess it's just the way my brain classifies things.

Tools are for taking care of the bike, and safety equipment is for taking care of the body.

I defend my power strip suggestion because it keeps me from hurting my back trying to reach that plug under the bed
wink.png
I like this suggestion, but since it's my thread and my rules (like I can actually enforce them :lol2: ), I classify this as a travel item (the subject of a future thread), as I don't want to carry one on my bike all the time.

I guess it's just the way my brain classifies things.

Tools are for taking care of the bike, and safety equipment is for taking care of the body.

I defend my power strip suggestion because it keeps me from hurting my back trying to reach that plug under the bed
wink.png
I like this suggestion, but since it's my thread and my rules (like I can actually enforce them
lol.gif
), I classify this as a travel item (the subject of a future thread), as I don't want to carry one on my bike all the time.
Yes sir ;)