What Safety Items Do You Carry?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauren_TK

Reaction score
It is time for another amazing, fantastico Lauren List thread.

UPDATE: I keep the update list in a Google spreadsheet.

This time it is about safety items. Over in the tools thread (https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/155712-tools-on-the-fjr-what-additional-ones-do-you-carry/), many people made comments like, "This isn't a tool, but . . ."

Since I was trying to keep that thread focused on tools, I put several of those suggestions aside. Now, however, is the time to explore those items we carry for safety.

This is not a discussion about riding clothing. We will use the following assumptions:

• Rider is wearing proper boots, pants, gloves, jacket, and helmet
  • Clothing is appropriate for the weather
  • Clothing is high-vis, or the rider is wearing a high-vis vest
I'm going to use the same tier system, I used over in the aforementioned tool thread. I'm also repeating some items on that list as they are "multi-purpose" items.

Tier 1--Must Have

• Cellphone
  • Cellphone charger
  • Credit card
  • Some cash hidden on the bike
  • Good multi-tool
  • Tire pressure gage
  • A way to clean the helmet visor (water bottle, sponge, Visorcat, etc.)
Tier 2--Really Should Have

• Small flashlight
  • Reliable flame source (lighter, waterproof matches, etc.)
  • Hydration (water bottle, CamelbackTM, etc.)
  • Food bars (energy, protein, granola, etc.)
  • Hearing protection
Tier 3--Good Idea to Have

• Chemical heat packs
  • "Ouch pouch" (variety of bandages and disinfectants)
  • Pain relievers
  • "Space blanket"
Tier 4--Probably Won't Ever Need, But You'll Be Glad You Have

• First aid kit (see below)
Tier 5--Nice to Have

• Road safety triangles
About the First Aid Kit
What should and shouldn't be in a first aid kit can spawn a lot of debate. For the purposes of this thread and perhaps bulky for a motorcycle, let's give the last word on the subject to the American Red Cross (https://www.redcross.org/prepare/location/home-family/get-kit/anatomy). If you want to debate the kit contents, start another thread.

The tier the kit is in is open for debate.

I know I'm missing things, so have at me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually have a cell phone and I guess the SPOT tracker is supposed to be a safety item. I also wear the ICE tag that marks which pocket the emergency services people should look in first. That's about it.

What do you do to plan for laws regarding firearms transport? I considered carrying my pistol on my recent trip to California from Arizona. Arizona you can pretty much do whatever you want, but transporting a loaded firearm in California, no matter where it is, will get you tossed in the pokey. The firearm must be in a locked case (not glove box or the like) and the ammunition must be located separately. I decided not to bother.

I carry just about all those things other than triangles but I do have a couple old fashioned flares. It all fits in one small bag other than the munchie stuff and it gets packed fresh. Year old Cliff bars are nasty
rolleyes.gif
. I like your tier system.

Where my permits are honored I carry but that is a personal choice and not worth the firestorm of dabate is usually causes. It's your choice

Would I be considered paranoid if I mentioned I never throw a leg over without my pistol?
I am a gun owner as well, but since it can be a hot-button topic, let's leave that off the list. Those of us who feel we must carry, will carry without promptiing from a list.

Thank you

Looks like you've got most everything covered except one.

And while it may not be important to you, I feel it should be mentioned as a safety item.

Just in case....

Trojan-Condoms.gif

What do you do to plan for laws regarding firearms transport? I considered carrying my pistol on my recent trip to California from Arizona. Arizona you can pretty much do whatever you want, but transporting a loaded firearm in California, no matter where it is, will get you tossed in the pokey. The firearm must be in a locked case (not glove box or the like) and the ammunition must be located separately. I decided not to bother.
Your question is a question of law. Please pose this question in another thread or in a PM.

Rushes: The picture link was broken.

I carry just about all those things other than triangles but I do have a couple old fashioned flares. It all fits in one small bag other than the munchie stuff and it gets packed fresh. Year old Cliff bars are nasty
rolleyes.gif
. I like your tier system.
Flares: Yes. I'll update the list to read trianges/flares.

Cliff bars: Three month old Cliff bars are nasty. They have a remarkably short shelf-life.

Looks like you've got most everything covered except one.And while it may not be important to you, I feel it should be mentioned as a safety item.

Just in case....

Trojan-Condoms.gif
Your picture link is broken. That's not a bad thing
smile.png

Since the item you suggest does not apply to everyone, like firearms, it should be discussed in another thread. (Or maybe even the same thread as firearms.)

I always pack myself a fifth of decent bourbon whiskey. You never know when you'll be bitten by a poisonous snake and have to cut it and suck the venom out. Or else get a gunshot flesh wound. You'll need the bourbon for anesthesia, don't you know... just like in all the great old movies.

Generally I drink it up when we stop overnight, that way I can get another and keep the bottle fresh. Wouldn't want to be forced to use a stale bottle of painkiller. ;)

But seriously, my gosh. Between all the tools and spare parts on that list and the safety gear in this list, with all that crap in your saddlebags where the heck do you carry any clothes or toiletries for a week long tour? Or do you just haul a trailer behind for those?
bleh.gif

Since I'm blind in one eye, and can't see out of the other, I carry a spare set of eye glasses in my tank bag. They are from my last prescription, but in a pinch, they would be light years better than nothing.

I also carry just about everything on your list, except a few Tier 3 items.

Good idea for a thread.

But seriously, my gosh. Between all the tools and spare parts on that list and the safety gear in this list, with all that crap in your saddlebags where the heck do you carry any clothes or toiletries for a week long tour?
All the tools and parts pack easily under the seat, and the safety gear is very compact as well.

I have most of the things on both lists, and I've filled less than 20% of my top box. That leaves my paniers and tank bag completely empty.

I always pack myself a fifth of decent bourbon whiskey. You never know when you'll be bitten by a poisonous snake and have to cut it and suck the venom out. Or else get a gunshot flesh wound. You'll need the bourbon for anesthesia, don't you know... just like in all the great old movies.
Generally I drink it up when we stop overnight, that way I can get another and keep the bottle fresh. Wouldn't want to be forced to use a stale bottle of painkiller.
wink.png

But seriously, my gosh. Between all the tools and spare parts on that list and the safety gear in this list, with all that crap in your saddlebags where the heck do you carry any clothes or toiletries for a week long tour? Or do you just haul a trailer behind for those?
bleh.gif
+ several. Jamesons is my liquor analgesic of choice.

I put hearing protection in tier 1, or even in tier 0, along with eye protection (not mentioned specifically) and helmet, etc. Everything else on the list is for possibilities. Hearing damage is going to happen if you ride for more than a few minutes at speed. WBill

I put hearing protection in tier 1, or even in tier 0, along with eye protection (not mentioned specifically) and helmet, etc. Everything else on the list is for possibilities. Hearing damage is going to happen if you ride for more than a few minutes at speed. WBill
Helmet was covered in the pre-amble before the list. I'll add eye protection to the pre-amble.

As for hearing protection, I'm torn on moving it. However, if anyone else chimes in that it should be up at tier 1, i'll gladly move it.

Helmet was covered in the pre-amble before the list. I'll add eye protection to the pre-amble.
As for hearing protection, I'm torn on moving it. However, if anyone else chimes in that it should be up at tier 1, i'll gladly move it.
I believe hearing protection is part of ATGATT. Our gear is supposed to help protect our bodies both from trauma in the event of an off, and from the continuous onslaught that the weather throws at us. Ear protection helps reduce the inevitable damage to our ears that the normal sounds of riding does without that protection.
My hearing is still pretty darned good for a 71-year-old, much better than many other much younger people I meet. I intend keeping it that way.

I believe hearing protection is part of ATTATT. Our gear is supposed to help protect our bodies both from trauma in the event of an off, and from the continuous onslaught that the weather throws at us. Ear protection helps reduce the inevitable damage to our ears that the normal sounds of riding does without that protection.
My hearing is still pretty darned good for a 71-year-old, much better than many other much younger people I meet. I intend keeping it that way.
Alright, you twisted arm (or maybe just looked at my arm harshly), I'm putting hearing protection at teir 1.

Looks like you've got most everything covered except one.And while it may not be important to you, I feel it should be mentioned as a safety item.

Just in case....

Trojan-Condoms.gif
Why the hell wouldn't it be important? Everyone needs water balloons!