What the best MC road resource for Australia

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valetz

Reaction score
Anyone watching this section?

I'll be in Australia in about a week (landing in Canberra, where I've got an FJR waiting) and I've got 8-10 days to go ride.

Where should I be looking for good sources of info on roads. (at the moment I've got the Hema maps, and that's about it..)

I know I'm headed towards a a friend in Melbourne, and then the Great Ocean Road, and the rest is undecided.

Thanks,

When you leave Canberra, head south to Cooma. From there you have two options, actually three if you want the coast road.

Anyway, if you follow the signs for Berridale and Jindabyne, to head on through Khancoban and on to Tallangatta before coming onto the Hume Hwy at Wodonga (310km / 190 miles). From here it is a 320km (200 mile) run to Melbourne.

Plan B (245km / 150 miles) would be to follow the Adaminaby sign, the road will take you through Talbingo, Tumut and Adelong, bringing you out on the Hume Hwy just before Tarcutta (remember to turn left at the Hwy for Melbourne - 460km / 285 miles).

The Great Ocean road is very scenic but you will find tour buses and caravans can make it rather tedious. When you have had enough of it, head north to the Grampians. A bunch of FJR riders recently spent a weekend in the district riding out of Halls Gap.

Hope this helps!

Hard to beat the Snowies. Also add Kangaroo Valley (north east of Canberra). As noted above, the Aussie forum will be a good source of suggestions.

The great Ocean Road is a bit like Highway 1 in California - it's reputation exceeded the reality for me (in both cases). Both are very scenic, but cruisey rides as you look out for tourist traffic.