What would you choose...?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warpdrv

Reaction score
If you had a choice, what would you rather have.... plus's and minus's

2010 Yamaha R1

10MS_YZFR1_wht_S3_0918b694.jpg

10MS_YZFR1_blk_S4_41921af8.jpg

10MS_YZFR1_blu_S4_1f3c0eba.jpg

2010 BMW S1000RR

bmw-s-1000-rr.jpg

What do ya think....? Always been a Yamaha Fan.... aside from my Nighthawk 700S... Got a unique opportunity to get either...

Lookin to get a track bike... and some road use, but I mostly love my FJR for the street... :D

Rode an R1 a few times, totally awesome... but thought that some of the extra's included on the BMW would be really nice...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reviewers love the cross-plane crankshaft. Defending your bike that everyone else thinks is ugly gets tiring no matter how much you like it. +1 for Yamaha, -10000 for the Beemer.

I've gotta say that beamer looks sweet. R1's are like plastic bags.... Everywhere!

I have never would have considered something other then an R1 but the little woman has it in her mind to get me a bike, and she is quite the BMW fanatic and has many connections to get something like that for me - would be a gift - never been very good with anyone buying me presents though - especially something of this magnitude...

I honestly have to say, that the ABS and selectable electronic DTC, Brembos is attractive.... seems its pretty well setup right out of the gate, and I didn't mind the looks of it at the debut here in Milwaukee. I was very impressed with the looks in person - the monacle thing really didn't bother me - I thought it was cool and unique.

Others have said the R1 is a very aggressive - feel everything rider... I'm not looking to be a really serious track day racer, but would like something more powerful but lighter then a stripped down FJR... As much as I'm against a Year 1 bike the S1000RR will have a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty as with other BMW motorcycles, which should handle any issues that may come up...

BMW S1000RR

MSRP*: $13,800.00

Options:

Race ABS (excluding DTC): $1,000.00

Race ABS and Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) Combined: $1,480.00

Gear Shift Assistant: $450.00

Anti Theft Alarm: $395.00

Motorsports Paint Scheme: $750.00

R1 is 13,300 and 14,500 for the Rossi stickers.

I dont know what the maintance schedule is on the S1000RR but from everyone I have talked to who owns a BMW, maintance is the biggest limiting factor; too often and too expensive.

I dont know what the maintance schedule is on the S1000RR but from everyone I have talked to who owns a BMW, maintance is the biggest limiting factor; too often and too expensive.
Yeah, I'll have to look into that, I have always been a custom to the reliability and low maintenence of my beloved Yamaha Products.... Thought it would be fun to try something in the cushy realm of fun factor... Looking forward to reading more about what the 1000RR performs like. I can pretty much be certain I won't be stackin up enough milege for the service schedule to be all that punishing in my case.... leasure riding from time to time and some medium paced track time won't add up to a very large sum here...

Kinda figured that if WarChild would buy one, - it might be lookin into :)

I've gotta say that beamer looks sweet.
Which side? :) Have you seen the front of that thing? Looks like the aftermath of a mountain troll face$%#ing a pug.
Tryin to say it looks like my girlfriend?

fat-bikini.jpg
You related to rad? :blink:
Just so ya all get my point here (V65 in particular). Its bad enough to scoll down a thread and run into this kind of nasty oncy but then you have to do a quote and leve the image in for all to savor again :blink: :blink: :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: :blink:

Lets hope that the tird time is a charm :blink:

But is the maintance schedule really a limiting factor for someone that does all there own service work? I over maintain my bikes anyway since I do it all myself.

Just so ya all get my point here (V65 in particular). Its bad enough to scoll down a thread and run into this kind of nasty oncy but then you have to do a quote and leve the image in for all to savor again :blink: :blink: :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: :blink:
Dude, that sort of load needs to be spread out over several posts. ;)

Ya.... not sure I can handle seeing that nasty thing again... ugh...

Silent - I agree with ya here...

I own my own auto service shop and have never dealt with a steelership throughout the life of any of my vehicles, ATV's, Bikes, or Snowmobiles...

Unless its a recall item, but that stuff is so rare...

I don't know what your skill level is, but have you considered a lighter bike under the liter class? Say a GSXR 750 for example? Still a lot of bike for track use. More you, less gadgets. Few people are really good enough to make full use of a liter class bike. The smaller bike allows you to flog it more, have more fun and run less chances of an ugly get off. Costs a little less too, not that it's an issue here.

IMHO if you get the BMW and have a problem the factory & dealers will never admit it is a problem (surging oil heads, final drive problems..............).

I'm pretty well set on getting a liter bike, regardless if I would use it to its full potential or not - the bigger bike will be far from anything the FJR presents to me on the track in the weight arena.... the control riders kicked me out of novice on my second round of running.... bumped me up to intermediate... lecturing me a bit - you toss that freakin tank around better then most people I have seen, no need for you to be in novice... That was an amazing 150 mile day on the track... Had a super fun time with the Buell 1125r that day as well, just seemed like I was lacking in the power dept to me... heck the FJR was takin them down with a 200lb dissadvantage.....

I figure I can pretty easily grow into the Liter with no issues - I am pretty conservative at 42, but am still lookin to have the brute force as the next step up, though I am by no means looking to get rediculous top end and be a pack leader, just have fun and relax...

You certainly make some great points though....

IMHO if you get the BMW and have a problem the factory & dealers will never admit it is a problem (surging oil heads, final drive problems..............).
True Dat Rogue - but not much different then Mommy Yammy with the tickers on the FJR

Gets to be horse a piece - though the R1 has a long standing history at this point...

I'm pretty well set on getting a liter bike, regardless if I would use it to its full potential or not -
I figure I can pretty easily grow into the Liter with no issues - I am pretty conservative at 42, but am still lookin to have the brute force as the next step up, though I am by no means looking to get rediculous top end and be a pack leader, just have fun and relax...

You certainly make some great points though....
Track days are not races. Smooth is fast. It's about control and precision. Go watch the smaller bikes run, then watch the liter bikes run. Way more fun in the smaller displacement class. Coming out of a corner you can whack the throttle and go like hell. Do that on a liter bike with 180 Hp and you're sliding the back end out. (not that it isn't possible in smaller bikes too)

All I'm saying is that if you're there for fun, there's arguably more fun in the smaller class. If you just want to go shake your balls with the other testosterone boys, that's cool, go for it. It will take you longer to fully develop your skills on the liter bike than on the 750 or a 600.

Have fun with what ever you choose and buy tires by the 6 pack.